Help with compressor and paint

M

Maverick84

So I've finally taken the plunge into airbrushing after making countless pieces with countless cans of spray paint throughout my teens, and a stint in the tattoo industry.

The (first of many) issues I've run into is trying to find the right compressor that I can start with to learn, but can still use after I've gotten the swing of things and can run for long periods at a time ( 1 - 2 hrs ). I have an old 20 gallon shop compressor that has been through hell and back , but after toying with the idea of using it with a air regulator, I decided against it due to the fact that the tank has a ton of rust on the inside. Any suggestions on small airbrushing compressors or set ups with lager compressors would be extremely appreciated.

I understand that the type of airbrush, compressor, the psi, and the paint, are all dependent on what the person is using it for; and I will be primarily painting artwork on canvas, boards (sheets of plywood that already have a base coat) and possibly the odd piece on a vehicle.

Whenever I've gone into art supply stores to look at what they have for airbrushing supplies, I've constantly come across inks. Having gone through a tattoo apprenticeship and left the industry, I have a large amount of tattoo ink/dyes. I'm curious if anyone out there has experience airbrushing with tattoo ink and weather or its a good substitute for paint?

Thanks for any help!!!

If size is a concern this will do it for what you intend....but could be limited if you branch out much
https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrus...rd_wg=pXCFW&psc=1&refRID=69GWCF9DZJBS3V7300VZ

This is an upgrade and will handle basically any airbrushing youll ever want to do
https://www.amazon.com/AW-Twin-cyli...rd_wg=pXCFW&psc=1&refRID=69GWCF9DZJBS3V7300VZ

If size is no big deal check out california air at home depot. Assuming youre in the US.... If you would do an intro in the introductions section that would help us know if thats the case and give better suggestions.
If size is a concern and just a tiny bit more noise is not then id suggest the senco pc1010.
You can probably get home depot to run the california air and the pc1010 to compare if you like.

As for airbrushing with tattoo ink.....heck id try it on paper. Worst case scenario is you make a mess

Hi Maverick, I have used cheap tattoo inks and they work quite well on paper but they need thinning and mixing properly. You would need to get yourself a silent oil filled compressor for it to be able to run for long periods, even then they're not supposed to run for hours at a time, they are also expensive. Most airbrush compressors need a rest every half hour or so of constant use.
Anyway, if you could pop over to the intro section http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ and tell us about yourself, where you are in the world etc, it helps us help you when it comes to where to get supplies etc..

Lee

The advantages of the shop compressor are that they're incredibly reliable, potentially free in your case, and well up to handling the kind of air volumes you're likely to need for underpainting and lacquering automotive stuff (where you'll probably be using a small spray gun rather than an airbrush some of the time).
All tanks - except stainless ones which you do see very rarely - rust. It shouldn't be as problem unless the tank is weakened to the point where it will burst. You might consider a pressure test or a re-tank. A filter/regulator will take care of the quality of the air.
The disadvantages are mainly the noise or the length of hose required to have the compressor in another room.
So, air displacement is ultimately more important than pressure.....
I use a cheapo Chinese compressor (just for airbrushing, air dusting and inflating the odd Space Hopper), similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SwitZer-...108722&hash=item3d2f570752:g:WgoAAOSw~kJaWMxB . It's quiet enough that I don't need to turn the radio up, but does run fairly hot. Of course, the "on" time for the motor depends entirely on how much air you're actually using (they'll have a pressure switch).
While you can get "silent" compressors with bigger than puny 1/5th HP motors, the price rises exponentially.
Hope that helps a little.
For the tattoo inks - I really don't know - well worth experimenting!

Hi Maverick, I have used cheap tattoo inks and they work quite well on paper but they need thinning and mixing properly. You would need to get yourself a silent oil filled compressor for it to be able to run for long periods, even then they're not supposed to run for hours at a time, they are also expensive. Most airbrush compressors need a rest every half hour or so of constant use.
Anyway, if you could pop over to the intro section http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ and tell us about yourself, where you are in the world etc, it helps us help you when it comes to where to get supplies etc..

Lee

Will do!! I would/should have done the intro first but had compressors on the brain!!

Back