Help with lines

M

masterspec

hi everyone, i m new to air brush as well as this forum.
i run an automotive panel & paint shop and i just start to learn air brushes.
i have been practise dots, lines, dragger stroke for 2weeks now(1 hour a day).
very little progress.
i know it is way harder than painting.

hi pros. how long does it take you to start being confident. as i can not draw straight lines. dot is just ok. dragger stroke is just ok.\

the problems are the lines. i never get them straight. up and down up and down.....

how long does it take you guys to get a straight line. just as an reference.cheers

Please check out the Youtube channel of the founder of this forum. There are many matters to consider, all of which are explained in the channel's video clips. Visual tutorials are the best and quickest way to learn how to airbrush correctly for by far the most people. Hope you will enjoy watching them and learn what you indicated having problems with. If after watching you still have specific problems there are many experienced members here to help.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. For me it took sometime to get more confident with the airbrush to pull a pretty straight line or do anything freehanded. I think you should plan it
a few weeks till you get much better with the controll of the airbrush. There are some that have a natural talent, but i guess most really had to practice for weeks. And before you can
paint really good freehanded like some on this forum you should consider at least 1 year i think, but with the airbrush the learning process never ends.

the problems are the lines. i never get them straight. up and down up and down

Try whats called leapfrogging, instead of watching your line, immediately swap your gaze to the lines end point, and let your hand do what it needs, most of the time i find people pick this up really quickly when shown the correct approach. Inherently most beginners are concentrating too much on the line/lines they are trying to replicate, break everything down to its simpliest shapes (tutors posted a new thread on this), instead of outlining per say you want to do it in smaller controls, shapes angles and lines..GL

there are several typesof learners, kinaesthetic, auditory and visual, basically those who learn by doing, listening or watching, most people are a mixture of all 3 with one learning style dominant. as ignis said, make sure you watch the videos, make sureyou do your practice sheets and also do plenty of research on this sit e to learn other technique.if you do all that then you are covering all the bases and you can not fail to learn...... if you are eager, committed and not afraid to fail then you will succeed but you need to constantly analyse and learn from mistakes.....it's not a case if when you learn, more like how you learn

as for your lines I think rebel had suggested a great method which I have not heard if before but will be sure to try myself, but so much is practice practice practice...also alot comes down to muscle memory or brain-hand coordination, like when pulling a dagger stroke, air on, move hand, spot start point, paint on, spot finish point, paint off, finish moving hand, air off......all that in half a second, wrong order and you don't get the right effect........bottom line....practice

For straight lines i agree with Rebalair. I learned this summer while trying to figure out how to pinstripe that i got alot straighter line if i payed attention to where i was going as opposed to where id been. All others have very valid points too. It takes awhile to really learn control. I still have issues after 6 months
And as Ignis said, the videos really help explain alot.
Welcome to the forum

Same with driving a car you dont watch the little patch of pavement in front of you. You watch where you are going. and practice practice practice

I agree with the others... There is no set time line when it will all "click" for everyone. We all pick up on things differently. Keep practicing and it will come... However, don't over practice. If you start getting frustrated with yourself take a break.

To add one point on the straight lines... Focusing on the end point is great advice (and I'm so gonna steal that). You might try speeding up just a little as well. Something I see in my students is they are concentrating so hard at painting a straight line that they over think the process and slow down attempting to do it perfectly. I think you will find it is so much easier to paint a straight line quickly! Also, make sure your grip on the brush is relaxed. If you're over gripping the gun your hand will start to shake and this will compound the problem. Hope this helps...

Trevor

Back