Help with scooter panel

steveo017

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hey all, I need some advice about painting a scooter panel that I have to paint on,
IMG_2058.JPG this is the panel, I washsed it with soapy water and sanded down with 600 grit wet and dry paper till it was dull, i then added 2 coats of etching primer
IMG_2059.JPG I sanded it again to get it smooth and degreased it and then painted 3 coats of a matt white from a spray can,
IMG_2061.JPGI then got my projector and the image that I wanted on,
IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2208.JPG traced it all out and masked off the parts that needed to stay white, and then masked off for the colours, i used Wicked detail red and blue to lay the colour and then Auto air transparents over to get the colours the right shade,
IMG_2215.JPGBut here is where the problem started!! when removing the masking the paint was peeling off in some places with the masking, I left it for a whole day to see if it stuck properly and tried a piece of masking tape on the painted part and when I took the tape off it peeled the paint off with it...:mad::mad::mad:
So now i dont know if it is worth carrying on with it or starting again, as i dont know where I went wrong.

Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of painting??
PLEASE HELP!!

Did you sand the white after you sprayed it to give it some tooth for the paint to stick to?if not just sand back down to the white and try again,also de-tack your tape some by sticking it to your pants or shirt a few times so it's not so sticky

Firstly I always lightly grey scotch the areas to be painted . I always use low tack masking tape & I remove the masking very soon after painting , pulling back on its self as to leave a nice sharp edge . I think from what info you have given us you have used far too much colour which has dried over the tap edge ,in turn it lifts more paint during removal . Did any of the white base lift ? .

Did you sand the white after you sprayed it to give it some tooth for the paint to stick to?if not just sand back down to the white and try again,also de-tack your tape some by sticking it to your pants or shirt a few times so it's not so sticky

How much paint did it take off? Was it right down to the plastic or just one layer etc, you get what im asking? It could be the rattle can primer, do wicked do a base like Auto Air did? Did you scuff the primer enough, was the tape too sticky? lots of variables. Answers depend on where it peeled down to. Maybe @Squishy can give yo some pointers on what she uses as i know she is a Wicked user.

Lee

thanks for the comments, I think the problem was that i did not sand the white before painting, because i thought that it is matt i didnt need to sand it.
and as it only lifted the red and blue i think thats where i went wrong. So looks like i will be sanding back to the white then starting again!
Every day is a learning day though so i wont make the mistake again i will scuff it up before the colour goes on.

What way would be better at getting the flag folds on?
1: Painting the colours then go in with trans black to do the shadows.
2: Paint the shaiding first then adding the colours( like on andreZA's flage step by step)

I'm not sure which way would be best, anyone got any ideas?

My real life job is a stucco plasterer. When we mask off jobs we don't like to use masking tape because the longer it stays on, the more stickier the glue transfers to what it's stuck to. If we know we take it off that day, it's OK but we don't let it sit more than a day. I don't really trust masking tape that way

My real life job is a stucco plasterer. When we mask off jobs we don't like to use masking tape because the longer it stays on, the more stickier the glue transfers to what it's stuck to. If we know we take it off that day, it's OK but we don't let it sit more than a day. I don't really trust masking tape that way

My day job is painter and decorator and although we don't using masking tape much I use a masking tape from Tesa that stay on for months at a time with not issues, I use the same tape on papers when I paint and also have no issues either with residue or damage to paper when I remove it, this tape was formulated for glass outdoors as well as indoors so that it didn't present the problems common with standard painter crepe tape, and nothing at all creeps under it.

This is the one I use http://www.tesa.com/craftsmen/masking_surface_protection/tesa_4440_precision_mask_outdoor,m.html

My day job is painter and decorator and although we don't using masking tape much I use a masking tape from Tesa that stay on for months at a time with not issues, I use the same tape on papers when I paint and also have no issues either with residue or damage to paper when I remove it, this tape was formulated for glass outdoors as well as indoors so that it didn't present the problems common with standard painter crepe tape, and nothing at all creeps under it.

This is the one I use http://www.tesa.com/craftsmen/masking_surface_protection/tesa_4440_precision_mask_outdoor,m.html
Thank you, i will look at that and maybe get some to try.

You might also want to try Drafting tape,made for paper application's to a draftsman work,I get mine at the same store I get my paint,

Thank you, i will look at that and maybe get some to try.

You are very welcome Steve, I use this stuff to border all my paintings and since it cuts very easy on the substrate I also use it cover up eyes and stuff to keep them clean until I want to work on them, it is also re-position-able, I first started using it for models and if I needed fine lines I would just throw a length onto a piece of glass and cut strips using a steel straight edge and craft knife, it worked out far cheaper than fine line tape which usually costs more than a standard roll despite sometimes 90% less tape, I buy 25 mm and 40 mm wide rolls since I border A4 work with one inch all round and A3 with the wider width all round, just because I'm a lazy bastard, lol

Light layers of paint, spray away from the edges if poss, and remove the tape as soon as you can. As for the folds, shading, preserve your white layer for highlighting, IMO it looks more natural, and if you are using trans paints you can keep building up layers to deepen the colour for shading, or mix or use a slightly darker colour. Then you don't have to go in with black, which can look a bit naff, and just use a grey for shadows on white areas. Its what I do and I thnk it looks more natural and subtle. :)

Well I have tried to do the panel again, here are the steps I did again
used etching primer
sanded it with 600 grit sand paper
sprayed with Halford artFX white(http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...ative-paints/halfords-artfx-white-paint-400ml)
sanded with 600 grit again.
marked out design and started to do the shading like the flag step by step by AndreZA IMG_2250.JPG then detacking the hell out of the all masking tape and tried a piece and left it for 2-3 hours and it came off with no paint on:thumbsup:,IMG_2252.JPG so I did the rest of the masking and painting colours came out really good.IMG_2253.JPG But this is where it all went wrong, I started to take all the masking off and guess what?? IMG_2254.JPG THE PAINT STARTED COMING OFF AGAIN!!!:mad::mad: not as much as before but now I got white patches all over... Sometimes I think why do I even bother!!!:cry::cry: I really dont wat to start it all over againg for a third time, does anyone have any ideas how I can go about trying to fix this???

You covered with paper?
What kind of paint you use for the shadows? I think you must wait longer until the color is dry.
Paper tends to stick to. I would always wait a day when it is possible bevor I tape.

Last edited:
You covered with paper?
Yes, but only really thin brown paper just so i dont have to put masking tape onto what i have already painted, but the white lines in the flag were outlined tith the blue fineline tape and then covered with detacked masking tape and that is where the problem was when i pulled it all off.

You covered with paper?
What kind of paint you use for the shadows? I think you must wait longer until the color is dry.
Paper tends to stick to. I would always wait a day when it is possible bevor I tape.
I used a Auto air Trans black with Trans base for the shadows, I did heat it with a heatgun before masking up all the white lines.
i didnt have any issues with the paper sticking at all but i did let it dry for about 1.5 hours before covering it thoough.

Then remain only three possibilities.
The tape was too strong, or the ground not cleaned well, or the paint will not dry enough.
You must now find the right cause.

Back