Help with spattering

Nemesis

Young Tutorling
Hi
I have a problem which has happened after about 8 months with my harder and Steinbeck evolution. It started to make a spattering pattern. It became critical then i greased the nozzle seal and it was fine, now its bad again and it won’t fix with greasing the nozzle.

P4mSFmDbTh5whbHd7

Any ideas?

24482180-E8FB-4F07-B7F6-2D44D7792E9C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've embedded your picture for ease of viewing, ....
what paint and what PSI ?
how much are you thinning and what are you using to thin.
it looks like the paint isn't atomising properly or you have a dirty nozzle that needs a good deep clean.

How about you head over to the introduction section and tell us a little about what got you airbrushing and what things you like to do with it. ?
IMG_0703.JPG

Typically, if you are doing the same thing and the results are different, the cause is a dirty brush. Maybe dried paint that got somewhere it shouldn't be. I would start with a thorough cleaning and go from there.

Typically, if you are doing the same thing and the results are different, the cause is a dirty brush. Maybe dried paint that got somewhere it shouldn't be. I would start with a thorough cleaning and go from there.
Thanks, will do that and try again. I am struggling to recall but think i ultrasonic cleaned the nozzle and needle in between working and not working. I wonder if i need to grease the needle or something.

Will try

I've embedded your picture for ease of viewing, ....
what paint and what PSI ?
how much are you thinning and what are you using to thin.
it looks like the paint isn't atomising properly or you have a dirty nozzle that needs a good deep clean.

How about you head over to the introduction section and tell us a little about what got you airbrushing and what things you like to do with it. ?
View attachment 65573
Thanks for embedding! It is Vallejo model air black thinned about 50:50.
I will go do that intro thing

I don't have a H&S so can't comment on the model exactly but I do know they are a drop in nozzle.
To seal any threads use either beeswax or chapstick. I wouldn't use any grease in the airbrush at all.

Have you checked the nozzle for cracks or damage? They are known to be a little fragile and can crack or break quite easily. I think the needle will be ok but they are also a bit soft and have been superseded by a v2 needle. It might be worth trying a new nozzle just to make sure, even if its not broken you have a spare so your money will not be wasted, They are not very expensive. Also make sure the sealing washer on the nozzleis clean and isnt damaged as that could let air through and cause problems.

Well thats all I got on H&S so good luck

Lee

I don't have a H&S so can't comment on the model exactly but I do know they are a drop in nozzle.
To seal any threads use either beeswax or chapstick. I wouldn't use any grease in the airbrush at all.

Have you checked the nozzle for cracks or damage? They are known to be a little fragile and can crack or break quite easily. I think the needle will be ok but they are also a bit soft and have been superseded by a v2 needle. It might be worth trying a new nozzle just to make sure, even if its not broken you have a spare so your money will not be wasted, They are not very expensive. Also make sure the sealing washer on the nozzleis clean and isnt damaged as that could let air through and cause problems.

Lee
Thanks
It’s not grease really it’s food safe sealant like for coffee machines. The nozzle looks ok as far as I can see

I don't know what equipment you have but a lot of us have a jewellers loupe which lets you see the nozzle really closely and you would be able to see any hairline cracks or damage that you wouldn't normally see. I can't speak about the sealant but I can recommend wax and chapstick. Hopefully someone with more H&S experience will pop in soon and may be able to shine some light on the problem.

Lee
It could be the nozzle - if I spray directly down I don’t get a dot any more I get like an egg shape

Sounds like you are on the right track. If the spray pattern changed that much, a damaged nozzle could be the culprit. H&S nozzles are pretty sturdy, so if it's broken, it's likely caused by either cleaning too aggressively or ramming the needle in too hard.

Airbrushes are delicate machines. You can't be to deliberate with them or they complain.

Found it. The air cap aperture was damaged. Replacement air cap and its like the brush is brand new - it had been degrading so gently that I didn’t notice.

Back