Help!!

C

Compleks

The bane of my existence right now.

When I 'snap off' the trigger I'm getting a quick burst of paint. Which makes any fine detail completely impossible, because every line has a big blob of paint at the end.
I've cursed more in the last hour than in all of 2012.

Please help!!

You have dried paint in your nozzle tip. Take the nozzle out and use a paint brush that will reach all the way through it with cleaner on it. You will be surprised at what will come out. If this doesn't work I would say you have a cracked nozzle tip, or it is flared out a little bit, and both of those are only answered by replacing them. Hope the first one is it ;)

Josh

Thanks Seamonkey, you're a champ.

Unfortunately I already ruined my first portrait... This is the most frustrating thing I've ever tried to learn.

Thanks Seamonkey, you're a champ.

Unfortunately I already ruined my first portrait... This is the most frustrating thing I've ever tried to learn.

It's a big learning curve mate and we have all had the same issues when starting, you will learn fast though. Getting to know your paints and reductions, air pressure and airbrush are all things that will come together with a bit more experience. I would say paint reductions and pressure first then you will begin to enjoy playing around painting anything that moves:). Of course cleaning is paramount, but should not need to strip down you AB after every go just a good blast through with a good cleaner and maybe use a paint brush dipped in cleaner on the tips(carefully).
Tell us more about what kit you are using and air source then we can help you more my friend, AB'ing is meant to be fun and when you get used to the regular pitfalls you will be knocking out the masterpieces :)

Cheers Cordyk.
Im painting with an Iwata Eclipse CS using Wicked Detail paints. My compressor is a fairly generic hardware store garage compressor.

I stripped the brush down and cleaned it out quite thoroughly.
I noticed the needle wasn't poking through the nozzle as far as it usually does. I figured there must have been some dried paint blocking it.

This is the part in question.
Iwata Airbrushes Nozzle, 0.35mm Eclipse Airbrushes - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com

I tried to unscrew the little tip using the wrench, but it was on very firmly and I didn't want to damage it, so left it alone. I did manage to push a fair bit of crap out the end though.
I've invested in some of those little cleaning brushes to help maintain the brush.

How often do you do a proper clean of your brush?

I haven't painted with it since, but flushed it with water and it seemed to be spraying a lot better already.

Thanks again.

Cheers Cordyk.

I tried to unscrew the little tip using the wrench, but it was on very firmly and I didn't want to damage it, so left it alone. I did manage to push a fair bit of crap out the end though.

I was told by Gary Glass at Iwata-Medea that the tiny tip of the CS nozzle is not meant to be unscrewed. The entire nozzle is a replaceable item. I suspect you would have broken it if you had tried harder.

Don

Cheers Cordyk.
Im painting with an Iwata Eclipse CS using Wicked Detail paints. My compressor is a fairly generic hardware store garage compressor.

I stripped the brush down and cleaned it out quite thoroughly.
I noticed the needle wasn't poking through the nozzle as far as it usually does. I figured there must have been some dried paint blocking it.

This is the part in question.
Iwata Airbrushes Nozzle, 0.35mm Eclipse Airbrushes - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com

I've invested in some of those little cleaning brushes to help maintain the brush.

How often do you do a proper clean of your brush?

I haven't painted with it since, but flushed it with water and it seemed to be spraying a lot better already.

Thanks again.

I don't do a proper clean inbetween colour changes, but always at the end of a session of painting. There's nothing more frustrating than getting ready to paint and your brush letting you know it's feeling neglected LOL! (Can you tell I'm talking from experience LOL)

Paint is flowing freely today!!!

Now it's only my lack of skills to blame for the average art ;)

Skills schmills. That comes with time (I hope, I'm still waiting Lol), you're doing it, that's the important thing. Sounds like you got the bug anyway!

Back