Help!

F

Fallen Airbrushing

I need help im using auto air at the momento but just cant get the reduction right.

Does anyone know of good ratio apart from 3:1 and also is wicked colord any better?

depends on your tip needle set up. the smaller it is the more you need to reduce. what is problem. no paint or spidering paint. air presure might be wrong also. it helps if you say what is going on.

What airbrush are you using, and what PSI are you running at? Remember water-based requires more psi than urethane's, just in case you're used to that.

Ok well im rockin 35 PSI and im reducing 3 parts paint to 1 reducer and it just doesnt floe smoothly i tried 3:2 and it spiders... Im worried cause i dont have a water trap it could also be affecting the flow also. Does that help with my situation?

I have to dis agree IMC water based does not require more psi Fact . Higher psi was used years ago to smash the particles onto the surface but since everyone switched over to lvlp and hvlp in the body shops the max psi at the gun tips is no higher than 10 psi regardless of the input psi .I spray cars etc and i never use more than 7 psi at the tip these days if i am using the turbine set up .If using a compressor i never use more than 28 to 30 psi at the gun gauge which gives no more than 10 psi at the tip .this is with automotive water based paint .When using my aztek AB i have been down at 5 psi to get the desired effect and i never use more than 30 psi even when using specific AB paints .I am using trident at the moment which is superb in flow etc and virtually no tip dry either and use this at very low psi .The viscosity is what really dictates required psi .

Ah ok so lets say i drop the psi down to 30 ur saying itll still spray out around 10? I saw svee youtube video on trident and am keen to try it out... Have you used auto air for your airbrushing ferret?

It's just a common fact that until the past couple years water-based paints such as Trident and WD had pigments that were not as ground down as urethane's. If you're telling me you can take NO reducer, the SAME psi, and spray HoK vs. Createx and have them spray the same then I'm going to have to disagree completely. We are not talking out of a spray gun with 1.2-1.4 tip, we're talking an airbrush with less than a .5 tip. Even at that, it was't until Trident that people are starting to claim it has the same spray as urethane's. Look on Createx site, even they recommend 40-50 psi through a .5 tip. I can't imagine spraying HoK with that.

I have to dis agree IMC water based does not require more psi Fact . Higher psi was used years ago to smash the particles onto the surface but since everyone switched over to lvlp and hvlp in the body shops the max psi at the gun tips is no higher than 10 psi regardless of the input psi .I spray cars etc and i never use more than 7 psi at the tip these days if i am using the turbine set up .If using a compressor i never use more than 28 to 30 psi at the gun gauge which gives no more than 10 psi at the tip .this is with automotive water based paint .When using my aztek AB i have been down at 5 psi to get the desired effect and i never use more than 30 psi even when using specific AB paints .I am using trident at the moment which is superb in flow etc and virtually no tip dry either and use this at very low psi .The viscosity is what really dictates required psi .

Quick tip, turn your air pressure all the way off and take your airbrush off the hose. Turn the air pressure back on and see if water starts spitting out of the hose.

Ah ok so lets say i drop the psi down to 30 ur saying itll still spray out around 10? I saw svee youtube video on trident and am keen to try it out... Have you used auto air for your airbrushing ferret?

Either way, you still should go down tomorrow and get a water trap, they are readily available in any hardware store. (Or you can order one from a site like CoastAirbrush, but for your situation I would say sooner the better).

I reduce Createx, AA and Wicked as far as 10 parts reducer to one part paint. You have to back off your air pressure and go light and keep moving(spiders). AA out of the bottle will require more psi, but you can slowly change your mixture and settings until you find a happy medium. Don't be afraid to find what works for you, I have found that each artist kinda has to find his own "sweet spot", and it's different depending on what paints you use,(and some colors will act different, red AA is a pain in my arse, lol) Experimentation is key to see what works for your style. We all paint different... our set ups need to be different.

Ok well that gives me alot to consider... I will def get a water trap and test it out im sure thay will help my works a great deal... I think i may also need to invest in a better gravity fed but hey that comes with time.

Did you try running the compressor without the airbrush on the hose to see if it spits water?

What size/type is the compressor, does it have a fan? The compressor could be getting too hot, and when it turns off it cools down and creates moisture. Depending how long you ran the compressor without the airbrush it might not of been long enough for water to start spitting.

Hmmm good thinking its only a small compressor so im not sure... Will have to have a look through the owners manual

Back