Hey all from Sweden!

G

Green Goblin

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks now. Just registered the other day and have made a couple of posts.

I'm from Sweden, in the golden age of perfection where kids are all flown out and a lot of time can be spent on doing funny things. A friend of mine has been airbrushing professionally for many years and I have always admired his skills and artwork. He has painted some of my Harleys but now I want to learn how to do it myself.

I've been drawing a lot when I was younger but haven't kept up the work for some 15 years or so. Now it's time to pick up the charcoal and start training again.
My plan is to buy an airbrush this spring and start to learn how to control it. I tried my friends airbrush about ten years ago but couldn't get a hang of it so I gave up rather quickly. But now, I believe, with Youtube and everything, learning is so much more easy.

I wan't to learn how to airbrush motorcycles, helmets and similar stuff. Any good advise on gear, where to begin, techniques, colors et.c will be gladly accepted.

Here's two old free hand drawings I made about 20 years ago. I want to evolve from here..

lynx.jpg eyes.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome home Goblin,,
Very nice drawing.. It is nice to see pencil artist on here .

hey goblin welcome.my only bit of advise, at this early stage, if you are committed to learning and don't think you will give up easily is re: kit......don't go cheap these ebay specials wil be junk for what you want to do, if you intend on doing helmets and bike pans then you need a decent compressor, you will want a coupe of decent sized brushes or 1 detail brush and a spray gun but we can talk about that nearer the time good luck on your quest!

Hi Goblin, wonderful drawings. If you can draw, you can airbrush with some practice. Welcome to the forum. :)
Cheryl

Thanks all!

I found my old sketch pad, graphite and charcoal pencils in the closet last week. I have some ideas that needs to be put on paper..
Unfortunatly I'm temporarily unemployed which makes investing in airbrush gear a little problematic right now.

Started drawing a face today, free hand, no reference.

First two rough sketches;

W.I.P_face_1.JPG W.I.P_face_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome goblin!! Glad to have ya here, your drawings look nice and you should transition to airbrushing pretty nicely!!

Josh

Hi Goblin, another welcome from the UK.

I'll second Ad Fez's advice on dont go cheap with the airbrush from ebay. Inconsistant quality leads to inconsistant results ... Im not saying they are all bad but some work ... some dont work so well ... luck of the draw. Save a bit more and buy a decent brush (you will eventually buy a decent AB so you may as well do it from the start).

Hope you enjoy the forum

Andy

Thanks again, this seems to be a friendly community and I enjoy every part of it! :)

I would never go cheap on the equipment, cheap almost always bites your butt. I've read a lot of good reviews on Iwata compressors and airbrushes. Japanese stuff is most often very good quality, but my Harley heart tell me to buy American made, like Badger. Are there any other reasons to chose Badger over Iwata?

I've browsed the Spaypal webshop and they have some slightly used Iwata stuff at very low prices.

My iwata eclipse is from spraypal and a slightly used. looked brand new when it arrived .
eclipse feels lika a good brush for a small amount of money.
One badger krome on its way from us it shall be fun to feel the differ. .

Save a bit more and buy a decent brush (you will eventually buy a decent AB so you may as well do it from the start).

I hear what you are saying Andy, thanks for the advice.
As I want to use solvent based paints and airbrush a wide range of objects, fine line effects as well as slightly larger areas, the Iwata High Performance HP C Plus caught my attention. Am I aiming to high with this, or can this airbrush be controlled by a beginner? http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/high-performance-plus/hp-c-plus/

Oh, man.. I've been away from drawing so many years. It will take a lot of practice to get back the feel for it. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359888775.054508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of the great reasons I advise people to go badger (no matter where they are from) its badger is fantastic for customer service......ken the c.e.o of badger is a member on here and often drops buy to give his advice and knowledge on brushes and paints.....why? because he actually cares....like with all products occasionally something may go wrong but, with ken he freely gives out his own personal email and gets the problem sorted for you.....(not that I've had any problems) and on an occasion I have had the pleasure of meeting him....he would never sell you anything you don't need, he stands by his product (which is great) parts are cheaper (you could pretty much buy a whole badger krome for the price of the head assembly of a custom micron) and the krome is comparable in performance to the micron.....go badger

Hello Goblin!

What you are going to miss I guess is the pressure of your tools on the paper. I did some pencil drawings few year ago and when airbrushing I still miss the touch of your tool on the paper, the feel and 'connection'.
But! Airbrushing is just lovely too!

Back