Hey there from Alberta!

R

rebelpilot

Hi, my name is Renate and I live just north of Edmonton, Alberta. I just got my first airbrush gun a couple weeks ago. A friend of mine does airbrushing and she does amazing work. I thought if I could be just a fraction as good as her then this could be a great and fun hobby. I have watched all of Mitch's tutorials countless times and lots of other videos as well. Ordered my gun (the same one my friend has) a master and bought some basic colours of the AutoAir paints. Apparently you pro's make it look much easier then what it really is. I practiced my dots and lines and shading.. and wow do I ever need to practice a lot more. But that is fine.. My issue so far is,... I am cleaning and unclogging and dealing with issues a lot more then what I am actually painting. The first day was great, then after that, I get paint splattering when I only have the air on.. (cleaned my gun).. then I get no paint coming out at all, then all of a sudden, SPLAT!.. adjusted my airpressure and cleaned it again.. then everything is either very thick and dark lines or very light and foggy, no matter the distancing. So again I took the whole gun apart, cleaned it and put it back together with a smaller needle .2 and tried again.. put the semi-transparent black in and I get bubbles in the cup.. I'm almost ready to quit. Anyway, that's a bit about me and sorry about the complaining in my intro but here I am typing just seconds after almost chucking my gun across the garage.lol Maybe in a couple years I can look back on this post and chuckle.

Hello Renate and welcome from the US, sorry about your frustrations but don't be discouraged it happens a lot to most. It sounds like you may need to thin your paint more, just when you think it cant get any thinner thin it some more lol. but do heed this bit of advice...if you use urethane paints the Master brush will not last very long. They have rubber seals/O-rings and do not hold up with chemicals. for urethanes you need something with nylon or solvent proof seals.

Hey renate!!! Welcome to the family hun!....the majority of your troubles will be down to paint reduction ( thinning) roughly to doorway at around 25 psi it wants to be the consistency of milk. .... the Thinner you go the more you can reduce your pressure should you wish to... as for bubbles in your cup is usually because of a blockage in the nozzle or your needle not being seated properly. .. if you look at these 2 vids (you may of already seen them) they cover reduction and Bubbles in the cuphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh0-9-ZvSnA&feature=youtube_gdata_playerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC34MXRxNH8&feature=youtube_gdata_player... hoe that gets you sorted... others will be along soon to help you out Also

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum from the us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks shadow, I'll try to keep my chin up. I'm going to get my friend to come over and check the gun out for me. I looked on the paint bottles and they say water based so I think I'm good. My husband is going to get a nylon seal kit for me now that I have read him your response. And I promise not to throw my gun at the wall yet :)

Thanks ad fez, thinning is one thing I haven't done much of yet.. just a couple drops here and there.. and I am off to watch the videos again (cant get enough of Mitch anyway ;) ) and pull my gun apart again.. lol I'll be able to do that in my sleep soon!!

Hi Renate, first of all welcome to the forum, you are in the right place for ALL your airbrush needs. I had the same blockage problem only the other day so it happens to all of us. It is one of the most common problems with airbrushing. I am assuming by your name and avatar you're a woman and so you may have some nylon stockings or pantyhose lying around which are very handy to strain your paints, start by doing that and thinning your paint 1 drop of paint to 10 drops of water, this will give you a very thin paint but you wont get any clogs with it and hopefully you will be able to paint for a while without having trouble. Set your compressor to 15 - 20 psi which should be enough. Make sure your nozzle cap it tight and your nozzle is clean after your blockage issue. Just have a search for threads on unblocking your airbrush. There's a few here and some video's too to help out. You will soon sort your self out and you will be painting away like a pro. Good luck for the near future :)

Lee

Thanks shadow, I'll try to keep my chin up. I'm going to get my friend to come over and check the gun out for me. I looked on the paint bottles and they say water based so I think I'm good. My husband is going to get a nylon seal kit for me now that I have read him your response. And I promise not to throw my gun at the wall yet :)

Glad you are not to throw it lol(ducks) To my knowledge Master does not make nylon or solvent proof seals. I own the Master G23 and I only use in emergency. If they do make them heck i'll get a set myself but highly doubt it. As long as you use waterbase your ok.

Hey fellow Albertan, glad you found this forum. This place is a wealth of knowledge and I see you are having the ache and pains of a new airbrush artist. Don't get discouraged, we all have been there. Welcome to the family, from Calgary

welcome from honduras hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:angel:

Hi Renate, great to have another girl on the site. Don't be discouraged, we all have these frustrating issues to start, I love a good swear at my brush when it doesn't love me, and find it's a good idea to have something soft to throw, that won't get damaged or maim/slightly kill innocent bystanders nearby Lol! You've already had some great advice re filtering and reduction etc. I've tried auto air, but didn't particularly get on too well with it, (although I'm sure it was just me). What sort of painting are you hoping to do, canvas/fine art, auto, textiles etc??? If your problems persist, maybe switch Wicked paints. They are made by the same company, and are water based, but I find are easier to use, and also more versatile as they can be used on almost any surface, and are lightfast. (Although everyone has their favourite, Spectra Tex by badger is also popular.) You can use the same reducer for Wicked as you do with auto air too. As mentioned a lot of problems could be down to a dirty nozzle. They are tricksy little buggers, and may look clean as a whistle, but don't believe it. Just when you think it's 100% clean, clean it again, they hide paint, no one knows where, but they do. You have to be really careful when doing this, don't use anything metal, a shaved down toothpick is good, and be careful not to flare the end as then it won't fit the needle. You could also try soaking is airbrush restorer. If you still have problems, then maybe see if your friend would let you try hers. If you don't have the same issues with her brush, then maybe yours just isn't as good as it could be. I don't know a lot about Master brushes, but I think they are not as well made as the better brands, and could have inconsistencies in manufacturing. Your friend may have been lucky and got a good one. But hope fully once you have your paint mix/air ratio sorted (it will take some experimenting to find what works best for you, everyone will have slightly different preferred settings), and a clean nozzle, the paint will flow, and you'll be up and running!

Hi Renate, great to have another girl on the site. Don't be discouraged, we all have these frustrating issues to start, I love a good swear at my brush when it doesn't love me, and find it's a good idea to have something soft to throw, that won't get damaged or maim/slightly kill innocent bystanders nearby Lol! You've already had some great advice re filtering and reduction etc. I've tried auto air, but didn't particularly get on too well with it, (although I'm sure it was just me). What sort of painting are you hoping to do, canvas/fine art, auto, textiles etc??? If your problems persist, maybe switch Wicked paints. They are made by the same company, and are water based, but I find are easier to use, and also more versatile as they can be used on almost any surface, and are lightfast. (Although everyone has their favourite, Spectra Tex by badger is also popular.) You can use the same reducer for Wicked as you do with auto air too. As mentioned a lot of problems could be down to a dirty nozzle. They are tricksy little buggers, and may look clean as a whistle, but don't believe it. Just when you think it's 100% clean, clean it again, they hide paint, no one knows where, but they do. You have to be really careful when doing this, don't use anything metal, a shaved down toothpick is good, and be careful not to flare the end as then it won't fit the needle. You could also try soaking is airbrush restorer. If you still have problems, then maybe see if your friend would let you try hers. If you don't have the same issues with her brush, then maybe yours just isn't as good as it could be. I don't know a lot about Master brushes, but I think they are not as well made as the better brands, and could have inconsistencies in manufacturing. Your friend may have been lucky and got a good one. But hope fully once you have your paint mix/air ratio sorted (it will take some experimenting to find what works best for you, everyone will have slightly different preferred settings), and a clean nozzle, the paint will flow, and you'll be up and running!

thats some great advice!

Thank you Squishy! Every ones advise is so great its going to be impossible for me to fail! I'm not sure yet what kind of painting I want to do.. My husband had high hopes of me painting his vehicles, but it this point, I would just like to do some canvas work and possibly some textile painting as I also quilt.

Hi Rebel, I can't add to the great advice you've already been given except we've all pretty much been there as beginners. Thin your paint and keep practising, it will get better. :)
Welcome to the forum
cheers Mel

Thank you Squishy! Every ones advise is so great its going to be impossible for me to fail! I'm not sure yet what kind of painting I want to do.. My husband had high hopes of me painting his vehicles, but it this point, I would just like to do some canvas work and possibly some textile painting as I also quilt.

Lol failure is not an option LOL! You'll be fine as long as you can put in the hours of practice, but whether you can practice a couple of hours a day, or a couple of hours a week, you'll get there, especially with this lot of hooligans.....I mean talented artists, to help out.

Hi Renate, first of all welcome to the forum, you are in the right place for ALL your airbrush needs. I had the same blockage problem only the other day so it happens to all of us. It is one of the most common problems with airbrushing. I am assuming by your name and avatar you're a woman and so you may have some nylon stockings or pantyhose lying around which are very handy to strain your paints, start by doing that and thinning your paint 1 drop of paint to 10 drops of water, this will give you a very thin paint but you wont get any clogs with it and hopefully you will be able to paint for a while without having trouble. Set your compressor to 15 - 20 psi which should be enough. Make sure your nozzle cap it tight and your nozzle is clean after your blockage issue. Just have a search for threads on unblocking your airbrush. There's a few here and some video's too to help out. You will soon sort your self out and you will be painting away like a pro. Good luck for the near future :)

Lee
Thank god I thought this post was getting dark at the start Lee. ... and you wad gonna ask her to send the aforementioned stockings to Birmingham

Back