Hey :)

4d!

Hey everyone,
Ive been airbrushing now for a total of 142 days lol, I am in the United States Navy (have been for 18 years now) and am currently deployed on the USS Stennis. Prior to cruise I knew I needed a hobby to do out here but wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, (last cruise I purchased a wooden model ship but with all the tools and carving it was pretty difficult to work on), Ive always loved to paint, mostly with oil colors (Bob Ross type stuff). Anyways, I ran across the airbrush tutors videos on YouTube and from the first second I watched, I knew I had a passion for this (and so far he is the greatest at teaching Ive seen online)... Id say for a good 3 months I was constantly watching YouTube finding any video I possibly could find on airbrushing and re-watched a ton of them many times. Watching every move they made and right before it was time to leave I decided 100% Im hooked and needed supplies. I went onto Amazon and ordered a compressor airbrush and some paints… Not sure of the name of the compressor but the model no is TC-20… The airbrush is made by Master. Yes, I went cheap to start “just in case I actually did not like doing this”. My original thoughts were correct. I am truly in love with airbrushing. Like I said Ive been doing this now for almost 5 months and have attempted many different things and every time I finish something I know I can only get better. I actually do have every intention on mastering this art as best as I can and then start making money from it one day. Ive always loved working on car stereo system installs and custom boxes/interior etc, adding this to my passions can only benefit my dreams one day.

Seeing how I am in the middle of the ocean I am going to “attempt” to upload photos at least to my profile on here but our internet is very limited so we will see. Ive been looking on amazon for a new airbrush (the Iwata HP-C Plus for $193.00) is this a good price and should I even bother upgrading yet? I know with the 2 Master airbrushes I have I am not getting the details I would truly like in all of my paintings (even with a .2 needle) but I also know its lack of experience, Just like with anything though, you get what you pay for so I think Ill probably get a little better with a better gun at least (maybe).

Ive been playing around with paints as well, even using acrylic paints and mixing with water (since I brought acrylic paint out here too) but primarily Ive just been using the createx paints for now, I know Ill need to upgrade my paint later as well but for now its cheap and my only complaint is any time I have to use white… I hate using white, it never comes out smooth (can forget about attempting any type of fine lines and details with it so far) and is also the worst at tip dry for me but, Ill get it..

I am really bummed we cant get onto youtube out here because I REALLY wanted to work on that Denise painting with the Air Brush Tutor, but, Ill attempt her I guess whenever I get back to the states, I know I need to watch the videos a few times especially on the hair portion, (Ive at least seen the finished pic of her that he did, she looks amazing) the last painting I did was a pin up girl and I didn’t know what to do with the hair so Ill need lots of practice on that later on. Like I said, hopefully at the very least Ill be able to get photos onto my profile if anything so please check them out if they are there… (please be brutally honest, itll only help).

OH, also in my amazon wish list is a few DVDs on airbrushing, 1 package of DVDs is over $200 and the other 2 are in the $100s. Is this a waste of money? Should I just wait till I can get back on youtube / real internet lol and watch all the free videos I can or is this something that’s actually going to be of benefit to me? I don’t want to spend that kind of money on something to be upset about after basically.. Has anyone ever been to any airbrushing conventions? Since Ive been gone Ive noticed 2 have happened in Las Vegas and I am about a days drive from there so when I get back I was thinking of going to one whenever it happens again, I know Id love to take some classes n such if I could find a school/teacher too, like I said, I am HOOKED on this now and I seriously do plan on learning everything I possibly can on this so I can put it to use financially later on, if any of you run your own business and its what you love to do, I salute you. That’s my dream when I retire from the Navy in 2 years. (yes, I do know Ill need more than a couple years to learn and practice all I can lol, just saying it’s a dream). Def need to work on shading and dagger strokes for sure.

The next painting I plan on doing is of a wolf, my aunt requested a painting so as soon as things slow down out here I plan on getting started on it :). I cant get the fine lines (for fur/hair type stuff) but I still cant wait to get started on it…

Hope everyone is doing great and SPREAD THE LOVE! Lol.
4D.
(stands for Ford its how I sign all of my paintings)

Oh and sorry for the mindless ramblings lol, Im just really excited about this new passion of mine.

Welcome home and always nice to have a fellow servicemen on board..
I have a friend who works as a seaman and he pin stripping while he is out on long floats .
You have found a great place to hang out and learn. Post up some of your work when ya can.
I like you play on 4D ..LOL

Welcome.. It's great that you are excited and keen to learn, all i can say is practise, practise, practise. DvD's are fine to learn from it just depends what you want to learn, sometimes the dvd's are great reference sometimes they're not, depends what you buy. Classes are good I can recommend doing one. You learn lots in a short time and of course you should improve. For fine hair/fur effect you could always use a fine hairy stick or watercolour pencils.

Keep painting
Lee

dude! welcome home buddy......glad to have you kicking around the place....pretty much all you said is correct.....as far as brushes go they are not the best, you do get what you pay for but all the time you are learning how to control the brush they wil do you to start....the iwata deal doesn't sound bad, in a badger man myself and would maybe recommend getting (for about the same total price) an omni or patriot by badger (thayer and chandler) and a renegade velocity that way you would have a large background brush and a kick azz detail brush....a member on here (seamonkey) also has a velocity and also iwata custom micron which many day is the best you can get, however he says he can get nearly as fine detail with the velocity as he can with the micron but for well under a 3rd of the price.....createx paints are great, maybe think about createx wicked for a more vibrant colour...you can user it on anything and its relatively beginner friendly....so yer by no means are the paints that you have cheap out crap.....when funds allow then I would consider a brush and compressor upgrade but what you have is fine for now...as you say so much"lack"is just inexperience... ad you are american consider getting your upgrade gear from coast airbrush, the owner dave monnig is a member on here so any issues you have he may be able to help with....also another reason for"going badger" is there c.e.o is a member here so any technical questions about the brush you can get from the horses mouth.thanks for the detailed profile also, I'm sure you will fit in great...all the best and stay safe!adam

Thanks for the replies :) I "think" I was able to get photos onto my profile.

dude! welcome home buddy......glad to have you kicking around the place....pretty much all you said is correct.....as far as brushes go they are not the best, you do get what you pay for but all the time you are learning how to control the brush they wil do you to start....the iwata deal doesn't sound bad, in a badger man myself and would maybe recommend getting (for about the same total price) an omni or patriot by badger (thayer and chandler) and a renegade velocity that way you would have a large background brush and a kick azz detail brush....a member on here (seamonkey) also has a velocity and also iwata custom micron which many day is the best you can get, however he says he can get nearly as fine detail with the velocity as he can with the micron but for well under a 3rd of the price.....createx paints are great, maybe think about createx wicked for a more vibrant colour...you can user it on anything and its relatively beginner friendly....so yer by no means are the paints that you have cheap out crap.....when funds allow then I would consider a brush and compressor upgrade but what you have is fine for now...as you say so much"lack"is just inexperience... ad you are american consider getting your upgrade gear from coast airbrush, the owner dave monnig is a member on here so any issues you have he may be able to help with....also another reason for"going badger" is there c.e.o is a member here so any technical questions about the brush you can get from the horses mouth.thanks for the detailed profile also, I'm sure you will fit in great...all the best and stay safe!adam

well, now I think I might start taking a look at Badger... thanks :)

not a problem, just spreading the love and also what little experience/knowledge I have

Hey 4D, glad you found this new passion. We're all pretty much addicted here so you should fit right in, and you just got a ton of new friends from all over the world (Hi from the UK by the way) to keep you company while you're away. And Lots of amazing artists ready to help you out, answer questions and offer advice, glad to have you aboard. (Aboard, see what I did there.....sorry.....will keep taking medication!)

you have some great ideas floating around, obviously the outcome needs a bit of refinement but this wil come in time, its clear to see you have a drive and a want to succeed so just ask questions when you have them, listen to answers and put in to practice....if you do this you can not fail to improve...it does take as little while but soon it wil click....the most important thing is passion...and you have that in buckets.....first bit of advice......slow down,,,, when painting on paper our canvas, reduce your paint further....maybe try 1 paint to 8 reducer and spray at around 15 psi.skit of us reduce even further than this and spray even lower pressure, that way we can put on the lightest of layers....but the 1:8 might be a god starting place.....also back off the trigger....don't go so heavy and when outlining try to move quickersorry thats confusing isn't it.....slow down but move quicker......hahaha

you have some great ideas floating around, obviously the outcome needs a bit of refinement but this wil come in time, its clear to see you have a drive and a want to succeed so just ask questions when you have them, listen to answers and put in to practice....if you do this you can not fail to improve...it does take as little while but soon it wil click....the most important thing is passion...and you have that in buckets.....first bit of advice......slow down,,,, when painting on paper our canvas, reduce your paint further....maybe try 1 paint to 8 reducer and spray at around 15 psi.skit of us reduce even further than this and spray even lower pressure, that way we can put on the lightest of layers....but the 1:8 might be a god starting place.....also back off the trigger....don't go so heavy and when outlining try to move quickersorry thats confusing isn't it.....slow down but move quicker......hahaha

Ive been keeping my ration at a 50/50 and my psi at 50 LOL so next painting I will DEFIN go for the 1:8 and lower psi THANKS!!!! I know I get impatient and it gets obvious at times I just want to finish finish finish lol, I know I need to practice slowing way down too... THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Definately lower your pressure, I work at about 15 - 20, but some people go as low as 5 - 10. Personal preference I guess, but you will find you have way better control, and cleaner lines with thinner paint and lower pressure. Anyway, play around with it, you'll soon find where you're comfortable.

I’ve just googled the USS Stennis and that is one big canvas you can practise on…….lol, welcome on board

I’ve just googled the USS Stennis and that is one big canvas you can practise on…….lol, welcome on board
Welcome this is a great place for questions and answers. Could you imagine if they let you paint that. I think you would run out of ideas.

Thanks for all the replies :) I couldnt imagine painting this beast lmao.. of course, Id have a canvas for the rest of my life :D

Welcome to the forum 4d! There are many talented and helpful artists here, your in the right place. And, thank you for your service to our country! :)

Back