Hi all from San Diego, CA

S

Sprzout

Hi folks!

I just found this forum, thought I'd check out reviews and put up a little bit of my own background. :)

I've been a Paasche VL owner for quite some time; my father and I bought the airbrush at Michael's probably 20 years ago, and I used it to airbrush a couple of sweatshirts & t-shirts. Nothing really spectacular, but I figured it'd be cheaper to use it to make Christmas/birthday gifts for the girlfriend I had at the time, and family members as well.

Fast forward to 20+ years later, and I've picked up the airbrush again, only this time I'm expanding to give my wife nail paint jobs, painting some custom Playstation 3 & Playstation 4 game controllers, and practicing flames for a potential paint job on a '74 Corvette my father and I are restoring. :)

I know I've got a LOOOOOONG way to go to get myself up to speed again, but I've got a lot of research done on automotive paint jobs & prep, and it's just a lot of practice with things like stencils and fiddling with adjustments on the brush to find what I like.

I've already gotten a little frustrated with the pulsing of the Badger 180 compressor, so I'm looking at a kit from TCP Global, which is local to me - compressor, paints, mixing cups, hose, Master G44, cleaning container, brush holder; basically, everything I need - as well as a Badger Sotar 20/20 that I'll be picking up from Amazon next week.

Maybe I'm going into this whole hog, but I figure that a Paasche VL, a Master G44, and a Sotar 20/20 will give me a fair amount of flexibility to do base coats, fine lines, priming, etc. to really step up my art skills with a new medium. :)

When I get done with my game controllers that I'm currently working on, I'll make sure I post pics. :)

Hi there, welcome from New Zealand. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Welcome from the UK. Look forward to seeing your pics, any questions shout out, and enjoy!

Welcome from Australia.
As you have stated a preference for automotive paint, I'd say you need to buy a proper respirator (not dust mask)
Even the auto industry are turning to water base paints

Welcome from Australia.
As you have stated a preference for automotive paint, I'd say you need to buy a proper respirator (not dust mask)
Even the auto industry are turning to water base paints

Not to worry, already bought a respirator - at a garage sale, no less - for when I was doing abrasive blasting on various car parts. :)

As for automotive paint, that's a ways off...I plan to stick with the typical acrylics for t-shirts and models until I get my skill down a little better. The good news, though, is that I've been practicing some techniques with my iPad and a program called Sketchbook Pro, which has an airbrush tool in it. It's not perfect, but at least I have an idea of what some of my strokes will look like before I actually bust out the paint and apply it.

Welcome to the forum! In the beginning I lived and breathed AB. All I did was watch video after video and bought all kinds of stuff. Nothing wrong with that.. it just means you've been bitten by the bug. LOL

Back