Hi every one

M

MrMann66

totaly new to airbrush here. Got a couple inexpensive set ups off the internet. This is something I’ve been wanting to try since I was a teen. So far I’ve just played around with some of the training techniques I’ve seen on line. Trying to make a straight line, make a dot, etc. this is gonna take some time. I want to airbrush everything! I love sci fi and fantasy art. I’m a comic nerd from way back. I’ve got a few model cars I want to play around with also. I’ve got all kinds of questions.

Welcome from Australia.
Where on the globe do you call home? We’ve a global family so there’s a good chance you’ll find a ‘neighbour’

What paint are you currently playing with and I’m assuming you’ve got some generic brushes ? A lot of us started with generic brushes, mine taught me a lot, mostly how to tear them down when the paint clogged on the rough interiors but it made me less nervous when I upgraded the brush to a decent one.

At the top of the page you’ll see a link to tutorials, it will take you to the airbrush tutor website. Register there and you’ll have access to practice sheets and tutorial as well as some great beginner pieces (the eye/Cameron/leopard) that at first glance will seem daunting but it’s just a case of laying down all those dagger strokes and blends that you first do :)
All questions are welcome but using the search function and trawling through the ‘beginner questions’ and ‘trouble shooting’ sections will give you a lot of answers to questions you have and maybe didn’t even think about lol

Welcome to mitchs madhouse aka the forum ,as jackeb asked where you from and all the other questions about you I won't be asking those but if you have a question ask it if you can't find it else where in here and good luck you will be fine but just so you know there is a steep learning curve to airbrushin, But don't worry you will get it!

Honestly i’m Using a grab bag of different paints that I’ve collected over time. Just trying to figure out how to thin the paints in the different brushes. I got the brush setup online for cheap including compressor. The compressor broke so the company sent a replacement. I fixed the other one so I have 2 compressors! High tech right!? I’ve been playing with breaking down the different brushes. Cleaned up the needles a little. Now I just have to paint something. I’m in a small town called Homer Alaska. I’m really excited about this forum.

Just consider that the paint you are playing with may not be suited to airbrushing or your brushes. Do you know what size needles you have in the brushes and what paint are you planning on using the most? here’s where a name is handy as it’s likely someone has already tried it :)

It looks to me like createx is a pretty popular brand. I’ve got some golden stuff. But that I’m using now. It seems to clog up on the needle. Ok this is where I start to feel like a real dummy. I’ve got a .5 and a .2 needle that came as replacements to the guns I have. I may have mixed them up early on when I was playing with everything and not paying enough attention to what I was doing. One gun I don’t think has a needle. Paint sits in a glass container below the body of the gun. Don’t like that one much. I think my top loader (sorry if my terminology sucks) and side loader are both using .5 right now though.

Your kinda leaving us guessing....
Best I can figure you have a master or point zero kit with the three brushes.
A single action.
A bottom feed with a metal cup that hangs off to the side and a gravity feed.
If the replacement needles were both to the gravity feed there's a good possibility that the "different size" needles are actually both the same

Though, .5 is somewhat rare in the three brush kits. A .5 may have come with a g22
. 3 is common and .35 is common for the bottom feed.

3 In a row haha.
Also don't feel bad about confusing them.
Nozzle sizes seem to be given as approximate radius rather than diameter which has even the Chinese factories confused as to whether their .25 is actually a .5 or not.
Compare the needles, if they look the same, they probably are.
If your not totally confident , set them on glass, press the tip down, if they are parallel all the way back and the same thickness, they are the same.

sorry yes. Master sounds right for the bottom feed. It’s the one I use the most. Yes the needles look quite similar in size. I’ll look and see the other brands on the other guns. I purchased 2 together and one separate because it came with paint. Haha. It’s been a while since I’ve even considered brand names.

Oh ok one separate makes sense.
A model might be helpful
If the gravity is a g222 w .2 and .5 nozzles, I think the .5 may actually be a .25 and the two needles would actually be the same.

Welcome to the forum @MrMann66 , you say your in Alaska, one thing I will say is make sure you don't let your paints freeze or they will be ruined. Nozzle wise it will be hard to check the nozzles by eye but if you have a magnifier of some sort you may be able to see the difference in the ends, larger hole = larger nozzle. It pays to keep them separate as they're not marked up as you have already found. Needles will be similar, however the finer the taper on the needle indicates a finer needle so larger needle shouldn't have such a fine taper and may be more blunt.

Lee

The terminology will come with time, just do your best to explain what your problem is and if we aren’t sure we will ask questions, and probably lots of them lol, but one thing I will say (from experience) only dismantle one brush at a time, if you wind up mixing needles/nozzles and air caps you could wind up with problems getting a consistent spray.

Hello from the uk!

Might be worth posting a picture of your brushes. Someone else might recognise them :)

Welcome from the UK Mr Mann. Don’t be concerned about early mistakes, we all make them and being part of the forum here will help it’s that.

Another welcome from the UK, from a fellow nerd. Love a bit of SC-fi and fantasy!! Nerds of the world unite!!! (dyslexics of the world untie! :D) We don't make mistakes around hear, we have learning opportunity events - otherwise known as :poo: *facepalm* I won't do that agai........Oh :poo:, how did I just do that again??? lol But eventually you do get to grips with it.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Ok my grav feed is a Master, model g25. Didn’t come with extra needles that I remember the bottom feed is I believe also a master. It doesn’t have any markings though. All the needles that came with it seem to be th3 same size when I do the test robbyrocket was talking about. One is shorter than the other 2 though. The single action literally feels like a child’s toy in my hands. It’s mostly plastic. Just says airbrush on the side haha. My compressors are ...I assume GS model tc-20. There are no other real markings on em. I’ll get a pic of all of it. Like I said it was all off eBay and Amazon. I think I’m going to pick up a set from createx off line. The art shop in town doesn’t have a lot of stuff. And the lady there knows very little about airbrush.

Back