Hi everyone...

Mikey

Young Tutorling
My name is Mike and I'm in Georgia, USA. Months ago I picked up a cheap airbrush to use for dyeing small leather projects. It works fantastically well at this. Instead of letting it just sit there when not in use, I recently decided to run some paint through it and see what I/it could do. With some coaching from YouTube I have been painting dots and lines and experimenting for an hour or two a day over the last week. I am currently figuring out how to operate the airbrush and thinning or pressure settings. I have enjoyed my time spent doing so. I would like to learn to use the airbrush for painting on paper/canvas. As a complete beginner I joined this forum with hopes of learning from those with experience as I progress in this new hobby. Any advice for a complete beginner is welcome.

Welcome Mike

Best advice I can give is to cut up Your credit card :)

Just have a search for anything You need to know as there is loads of useful info here, or just ask away and I am sure somebody will be able to help.

Looking forward to seeing pics of Your progress :)

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum. Check the Airbrush Control & Exercises section. It should have some good beginner tutorials.

Welcome Mike

Just have a search for anything You need to know as there is loads of useful info here, or just ask away and I am sure somebody will be able to help.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have already figured out that the costs add up! I didn't know what paint or colors to start with so I bought several. I would like to get a better quality brush to help determine if the problem is me or cheap equipment, but that will have to wait a while after buying a compressor and tank... it adds up quick! When I have something other than lines dots and doodles, I will post photos.

Welcome aboard, I wish I'd had 2Diverse' advise on cutting up my credit card 10 years ago but I fear its to late for me. All jokes aside, buy once, buy wise is my best suggestion. look through the 'airbrush equipment' section and find real user reviews on what we use.

the entire Airbrush foundations section will be a great place to start. So many tips/tricks/ advice/suggestions etc etc.
When you first launch into something new you don't know what to ask simply because you don't know what you don't know :)
a compressor choice is equally as hard as what airbrush to get, don't get sucked into a 'kit' from amazon/ebay etc, they're put together for price and most components are suitable.
If noise is a consideration then one of the tanked small hobby compressors is ideal, If noise isn't a concern then a cheap workshop compressor will also do the job and as a bonus you can use it for a lot of other things too.

jump in here first and see what we consider to be great learning resources.

Hey Mike, like you… I’m rather new to airbrushing and new to this site so I’m sure we will share interests on similar topics.

There are some wonderfully helpful and fun experts here so ask away!

Hey Mike, like you… I’m rather new to airbrushing and new to this site so I’m sure we will share interests on similar topics.

There are some wonderfully helpful and fun experts here so ask away!
Hi panhead. I'm glad I found this forum. It is a great resource and has saved me some frustration already.

Welcome aboard, I wish I'd had 2Diverse' advise on cutting up my credit card 10 years ago but I fear its to late for me. All jokes aside, buy once, buy wise is my best suggestion. look through the 'airbrush equipment' section and find real user reviews on what we use.

the entire Airbrush foundations section will be a great place to start. So many tips/tricks/ advice/suggestions etc etc.
When you first launch into something new you don't know what to ask simply because you don't know what you don't know :)
a compressor choice is equally as hard as what airbrush to get, don't get sucked into a 'kit' from amazon/ebay etc, they're put together for price and most components are suitable.
If noise is a consideration then one of the tanked small hobby compressors is ideal, If noise isn't a concern then a cheap workshop compressor will also do the job and as a bonus you can use it for a lot of other things too.

jump in here first and see what we consider to be great learning resources.

Thanks JackEb. This is all very helpful.

Welcome Mike

If you are truly interested in seeing pics of my practice, I started an artist's log here: Mikey's Log
It is only a couple of my practice sheets, but if you take the time to view them I would appreciate any input you might have.

Back