Hi from Illinois

K

Kanati

Hi. I've always been a graphite guy and I used to dabble in acrylics occasionally. But I let real life interfere with my art many years ago. The last real piece I did was a graphite drawing for the NCIS Fanfest charity auction. That was 2006.

Aside from doodles at work, I didn't pick up a pencil or brush since. Not that I was very prolific before that, but after... not so much at all. Recently though I ran across someone who posted some automotive art in a corvette facebook group I'm in and I was thinking I could probably do that. Never tried drawing cars before but hey... I'll give anything a shot once. He was using prismacolor colored pencils so I ran over to the local hobby lobby and picked up a big set of prismas. I started doing a couple test pics and decided I wasn't too fond of colored pencils... In the meantime I joined a couple of automotive art groups and saw some pieces using markers that I liked. So............ 300 dollars worth of prismacolor markers later I did a '69 corvette piece that didn't turn out too bad considering it was my first shot at both automotive art and markers. I liked markers, but they just didn't seem as versatile as I had hoped. In order to get some good blending I actually had to go mixed media and use some colored pencils as well.

Which... led me to investigating what it would take to get set up with airbrush. I've always had it running around in the back of my mind that I wanted to get into it. But I always thought it was too hard... too expensive... too this, too that... So like pencils and markers I jumped in feet first. I figured if I made a significant investment in it I wouldn't back out all that easily. So lots of medea paints, wicked, createx, and golden paints... An iwata HP-CS and an iwata HP-C plus... and a badger aspire pro compressor later... I'm ready to jump into airbrushing.

I have been watching tons of videos checking out techniques... I've been running through some control exercises... I definitely have some more practicing to do. I've only really started figuring out the whole air pressure/distance from surface/reduction/paint flow puzzle. And it appears my dagger strokes are more like baseball bat strokes. But I'm in this for the long haul.

So anyway.... that's me. TLDR version? Just got into airbrushing. Got some reasonable equipment. Here I am. :)

Glad to have you join our little mad house here,the people are all here to help so If you have a question ask and someone will answer it soon enough

Welcome Kanati! I lived in Illinois for the first 38 years before moving here. Something about us illini that we have a tendency to jump in feet first and see what sticks!:)

welcom fellow illinoisan...i live across the creek from st lou....

Welcome from the Uk! Don't worry about the dagger strokes, they come....eventually in my case Lol!

Welcome from Washington State :). Ive tried just about every art medium and airbrushing to me is steps above em all. Enjoy :)

welcome from Australia.

You'll find a mixed bag of nuts around here, and I've a feeling you'll fit in well.
You've taken the first step by buying some decent equipment. Now you have no excuse, you cant blame your tools unless you get a blocked or damaged nozzle, but they'd both be caused by you, so NO you cant blame your tools. lol

Start at the beginning, accept that its going to take some time to get the techniques happening and enjoy the growth of your newly acquired addiction.

Back