Hi From Sydney Australia

Martin

Young Tutorling
solar2.png Hi All,
Airbrush artists do some really cool stuff and i always admire what they can do and want to do it as well. I tinker with hobby building. Train scenery, 3D print objects, Models planes not so recently. I had an old hobby type airbrush that had interchangeable nozzles and was always a bit frustrated with it. So i thought time to upgrade and have a good crack at some art. I'm no artist per se but I know what i like, Skulls, dragons that sort of thing.
So, i have my Iwata eclipse CS and started watching tutorials. I have a lot to learn.

I'm doing some of the practice lessons but then get bored and try something else. The attached is my first real attempt. Not quite as good as the one on Airbrush Asylum. It's painted on some scrap plywood coated with Gesso.

looking forward to getting some good tips.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome home Martin.
Yes dots dagger and fades get old fast . Skulls now that is the ticket :D but to build control you can also use coloring pages
She offers some really great practice pages at her website here: http://art-tehnika.ru/
SColl down toward the bottom of the page and you will find some practice sheet to print like this one.
atlines-10.jpg

I cut my teeth on skulls. I didn't do a lot of the standard exercises. Maybe i should've...

Started on newsprint with single colors and just did whatever came to mind. I couldn't make it feel like work or I'd lose interest.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Welcome from Adelaide Sth Australia Martin, nice to see another Aussie around here :)
the exercises are great for warm ups and also making sure your paint is flowing well (which will change from day to day depending on the temp and humidity ) I think we all had the 'not as easy as it looks' moment but I can assure you it gets easier.
Artistic talent isn't a prerequisite - I'm living proof of that, and so are many here. if you have a question, do a quick search and you may find your answer, if not then just ask,
Paper.... the sketch book paper that we get here in Australia is very absorbent and a great confidence boost because the paint doesnt spider if your pressure is to high or your paint to thin..
Mr.Micron mentioned colouring in pages.... you can either grab one from the shops or just print a page out from the Web, put that page under a picture frame and then paint on the glass, you'll get spiders galore and want to smash the glass but wow, it teaches you how to control the airbrush. !!

I'm pretty sure we put a link in the Airbrush foundations section to a video for doing the practise on glass...... I'll be right back with a link

Welcome Martin!
Skulls and Dragons will keep you busy and entertained for a long while man. That’s great! Excellent choice of brush too. I love my Eclipse brushes. They’re capable of fine detail and wider spraying. As the others have said, practice really is the key, but it all pays off. Any problems, just ask man.

Hello. I guess it’s ultimately all dependent upon what you want to use an airbrush for, whether it’s fine art, automotive detailing, model, building, etc. I got into doing airbrush because I needed a means to spray paint feather edged camouflage patterns on plastic model kits, and the airbrush is an excellent tool for that. After that, I began to get into doing it for art and painting. For now, some fundamental exercises are very useful. You’ll have to spend quite a bit of time practicing triggering on different kinds of strokes and control over the air brush. The videos mentioned above are good. I also created this thread, which offers a lot of excellent resources for beginners on doing airbrush work.

Back