Hi ya'

B

Buzzbee

Hey,
I just registered and want to introduce myself.

50 years ago I used to build models of all sorts; ships, tanks, planes, and cars. I always wanted to get an airbrush and learn how to use it well. Never happened before I got tangled up with girls and real cars. Ah well. The road not taken.

So, now I'm retired and have the time and money, so I dove in a few weeks ago and bought (after much study on Youtube and forums) a Paasche Talon and D3000R compressor. I plan on using it primarily for painting car models, but have some other artistic ideas to try also.

I've been learning my new toy by prepping and painting a bunch of white plastic spoons to get an idea of the paint brands, shades, and finishes I want for future projects. It's been fun and fulfilling so far.

I haven't looked around much at this forum, so I'm off to do that now.

Cheers mates.

Buzzbee

Enjoy the wander around - welcome from New Zealand. What part of the world are you from?

Hi and another UK welcome :)!!!! We have a few model painters around here, and also be prepared for other surfaces to suddenly be seen in a new light. Once the AB bug bites, everything looks like a canvas Lol!

Enjoy the forum, please ask lots of questions and make yourself at home!!!

Welcome to mitchs madhouse if you have any questions just post them up and someone will be able to get the answer for you, saw the city corvallis and though you were in Montana :D then saw you were in Oregon :D

Thanks for all of the warm welcome messages everyone.

I see the British Empire is well represented in here! I've always gotten along famously with Brits of all stripes, including Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians.

Many years ago I started using "Cheers mates" as my standard salutation in e-mail messages. I got infected by that from a very cheerful Kiwi lad I met while working at a high school in San Diego. He and his father were sailing around the world and they stopped in SD for a couple of months. His name was Leonard, but I've forgotten his last name.

So...Cheers mates!

On second thought, I want to expand on the topic of Brits in airbrushing:

I've been obsessing on watching many YouTube videos for about a month now on the general topic of things like airbrushes, compressors, techniques, thinning paint, etc. Can anyone explain why there are SO MANY Brits in this field? They make up a majority of the artists and rookie users.

They tend to concentrate in areas such as fantasy miniatures and other role-playing war games. I find this sub-culture fascinating. I'm just curious why and how Brits have aggregated in this area so much.

Anybody?

Cheers mates.

We have a lot of nerds, geeks, etc. I guess living in Britain we feel the need for escapism through role play lol. Plus we're barking mad and need to do things in fantasy that is frowned upon in real life. The police don't take kindly to elves fighting dwarves in the street after the pubs kick out on a Saturday night for some reason that escapes me.

We have an inbred need to build an empire, but historically managed to invade, ruin and railroad many cultures. So now we prefer to do so in plastic miniature form.

We also want our worlds to look better than other worlds, so that they have the appearance of being an upper class alternate reality, so have to learn to pimp them up. We cant afford to have dreary looking warriors, or poorly dressed magicians, badly turned out goblin hoards, or not shabby enough zombies. Its very poor form. lol lol lol.

and it probably has a lot to do with the temperature in Britain ! they need to find indoor activities and due to space being a premium doing miniatures seems logical !

We have a lot of nerds, geeks, etc. I guess living in Britain we feel the need for escapism through role play lol. Plus we're barking mad and need to do things in fantasy that is frowned upon in real life. The police don't take kindly to elves fighting dwarves in the street after the pubs kick out on a Saturday night for some reason that escapes me.

We have an inbred need to build an empire, but historically managed to invade, ruin and railroad many cultures. So now we prefer to do so in plastic miniature form.

We also want our worlds to look better than other worlds, so that they have the appearance of being an upper class alternate reality, so have to learn to pimp them up. We cant afford to have dreary looking warriors, or poorly dressed magicians, badly turned out goblin hoards, or not shabby enough zombies. Its very poor form. lol lol lol.

That's an interesting take in answering my question. I enjoyed your witty answer.

Other friends and acquaintances from GB have had similar societal perspectives that sometimes involve guilt, even if tempered with humor, about their past empire building. Ah, it's water under the bridge to me. At least you empire building days are mostly historical.

As opposed to the tragically bad war empire the war profiteers in my country seem to be unstoppable in currently building. Makes me sick. But that's a discussion for another time and place, I suppose.

And you guys have no patent on nerds and geeks. I think the US has a trademark on basement role-playing game freaks! I've known a few in my time.

As for pimping them up...I kinda like the fantasy role-playing Red Coats look. It's visually very attractive. Keep 'em coming!

Back