Hi yall

• Thread starter yoitsbrucekaijuu
  • Start date
Y

yoitsbrucekaijuu

im Bruce and I will be entering the world of airbrushing. Currently livin in so cal. I have no background in airbrushing but I have some in art and creative design and writing. The equipment that I have so far is a sparmax t620 x compressor from my ex gf and iwata eclipse air brush. Before that the exmonster used it for mAke up and sun tanning. So I would like to take up this craft. I have no paints yet and I am here to learn some skills here. I would also like to repainted toys and figures and maybe models but most likely re paint toys and Kaijuu.

Welcome from the UK Bruce. What version of the Eclipse do you have? Sounds like you’re about ready to go other than the paint. I’m sure your background will help you pick things up quickly, but any questions you have, post them up and you’ll be amazed at how quickly someone puts you on the right path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it's an eclipse CS with the cup on top. Yea I just have to get time on with it and get the extra steps nailed down. Mixin colours, changing colors and cleaning. I have yet to get thinners and acetate. Don't know which ones to get. All purpose thinner, vinyl thinner and acetate for cleaning. I do expect to make my own small scale booth but for now I will be spraying in the back yard. I still need the face masks and protective equipment. I have to get ready for some practice and research and development in this journey. And thanks for the reply sirrox. I think my main goal is to maybe gain enough skills to make or modify toys that will be accessible to others

Welcome to the forum,Where about's are you in southern cal? Have family out there in Orange Co.

Los Angeles but spend some time in Orange County.

Welcome from New Zealand - the eclipse CS is a great brush. :)

I believe it's an eclipse CS with the cup on top. Yea I just have to get time on with it and get the extra steps nailed down. Mixin colours, changing colors and cleaning. I have yet to get thinners and acetate. Don't know which ones to get. All purpose thinner, vinyl thinner and acetate for cleaning. I do expect to make my own small scale booth but for now I will be spraying in the back yard. I still need the face masks and protective equipment. I have to get ready for some practice and research and development in this journey. And thanks for the reply sirrox. I think my main goal is to maybe gain enough skills to make or modify toys that will be accessible to others
Yep, that’s an Eclipse CS alright. It’s a great brush and one that is commonly recommended for beginners. I have one myself.
You may not need thinners and Acetone. Apologies if you already know this, but water-based paint systems are arguably more common than solvent nowadays. Each brand sells paint, reducer and other additives depending on what you want to do. They can be sprayed in a more enclosed environment, but a mask would still be recommended. There are pros and cons to both water-based and solvent. But if your main interest lies in making or modifying toys, water-based would certainly work and they have the advantage of easy clean up when you accidentally blast or pour them all over you hands and the floor lol.

thank you all for the welcome. so acrylics should be good for models and toys. some people mentioned monster kolor,v color, fok and giai paints have any of you dudes use these brands b4

Yep, that’s an Eclipse CS alright. It’s a great brush and one that is commonly recommended for beginners. I have one myself.
You may not need thinners and Acetone. Apologies if you already know this, but water-based paint systems are arguably more common than solvent nowadays. Each brand sells paint, reducer and other additives depending on what you want to do. They can be sprayed in a more enclosed environment, but a mask would still be recommended. There are pros and cons to both water-based and solvent. But if your main interest lies in making or modifying toys, water-based would certainly work and they have the advantage of easy clean up when you accidentally blast or pour them all over you hands and the floor lol.

What he said.
Vallejo is popular for toys and models and such and is available at hobby lobby and chain stores. They make a cleaner, I've noticed a lot of modelers simply use (non ammonia) windex to clean with. I use water. Acetone then water rinse at the end of my day, but the acetone is probably not necessary.

im gonna get some supplies today so thinner maybe a vinyl thinner and no acetone. o think i have bottkes if regular acrilic that i will ptactice control and mixing with

im gonna get some supplies today so thinner maybe a vinyl thinner and no acetone. o think i have bottkes if regular acrilic that i will ptactice control and mixing with
Do you mean artist acrylic? like brush paint
or acrylic lacquer? like spray paint?
If it's just artist acrylic you can thin with just water for practice. Maybe a little liquitex varnish if you want to keep the flow similar to an actual airbrush paint.
I'm guessing your talking about lacquer since youre saying thinner or vinyl thinner in which case acetone might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Loading up pictures is often the easiest way, that way it’s less confusing. Keep I mind I said that you “may” not need acetone. I usually have some on the shelf for cleaning, sometimes soaking the nozzle and stuff. But usually airbrush cleaner is fine.

uea just trying to figure out what i need to get started and not having to stop midway through just for missing a component

uea just trying to figure out what i need to get started and not having to stop midway through just for missing a component
It can be tricky to start. But feel free to take a photo of your setup, post it here and we can let you know if there’s anything else.

Back