Hoblein Neo Hohmi - quick look

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
While on the hunt for a Hodlein y2dash, the opportunity to pick up a brand new/old stock Hoblein Neo Hohmi side feed, .2 airbrush came up. After a little inner debate, I jumped on the chance to grab it, and so the rest is now history - here is a brief look at the brush for anyone that may be curious about them.
hohmi in box1.jpg neo hohmi open box1.jpg

Interesting feature about the Neo Hohmi is that it features a three hole head system that varies from other manufacturers. Some people refer to it a Micron like, or Micron type performance. I don't get that out of it, but it is still interesting, and an effective set up. The base of the head is actually removable from the brush, but I did not feel the need to do so - just removed the air cap, and needle cap for photo purposes.
neo hohmi head1.jpg neo hohmi head2.jpg

The brush is a .2 set up. The first thing I noticed was just how far the needle protruded from the head. Think Olympos needles stick out far? This thing blows it away!
needle protrusion1.jpg

I compared the needle to an Olympos Micron .18 needle - the diameter of the Neo Hohmi needle is fatter, and the taper is actually quite a bit longer than the Olympos. (Hoblein on top, Olympos on the bottom)
needle comparo1.jpg

Another unique feature of the brush helps to explain why they call it "needle packing". This brush uses a fibrous material that gets inserted into small ports on each side of the brush to surround the needle, and "pack" the seal into place. The fibrous material is supposed to be wetted with "grease or vegetable palmade". I used mineral oil to moisten the fibers, and Airbrush Balm between the two sides to create a sandwich around the needle. Pressure is adjustable from both sides, right and left with small set screws that hold everything in place. Directions have you re-wetting the fibers once a month or as needed.
needle packing1.jpg packing screw1.jpg

This brush sat for I do not know how long in a warehouse. The oils that were originally used on it had long since dried out, and gummed up - so the brush required a good cleaning before use. Easy enough - the brush has a very odd trigger setup, that works quite well, and offers a bit of adjustment. My personal preference will have me changing the needle spring with something softer. A quick test spray using Com-art transparent black straight from the bottle has the brush spraying fairly well. Things of note in this department - I needed to keep my MAC valve all the way open to get good atomization, and a line that was not broken or skipping. In contrast, I would use a Micron with the MAC valve open less than @1/3rd. Even with higher pressure entering the brush there was no more tendency for the paint to want to spider on the surface out of the Neo Hohmi. A relatively fine line was easy to maintain, and the lack of tip dry on that super long needle was noticeable out of the brush. I did not have to clean or pick the needle a single time while fooling around with the brush.
neo hohmi test spray1.jpg

I'm including a recent sample of my work as a wrap up, just to give perspective about the kind of work that I do, and my ability with an airbrush...
art sample1.jpg

Last edited:
While on the hunt for a Hodlein y2dash, the opportunity to pick up a brand new/old stock Hoblein Neo Hohmi side feed, .2 airbrush came up. After a little inner debate, I jumped on the chance to grab it, and so the rest is now history - here is a brief look at the brush for anyone that may be curious about them.
View attachment 50598 View attachment 50599

Interesting feature about the Neo Hohmi is that it features a three hole head system that varies from other manufacturers. Some people refer to it a Micron like, or Micron type performance. I don't get that out of it, but it is still interesting, and an effective set up. The base of the head is actually removable from the brush, but I did not feel the need to do so - just removed the air cap, and needle cap for photo purposes.
View attachment 50600 View attachment 50601

The brush is a .2 set up. The first thing I noticed was just how far the needle protruded from the head. Think Olympos needles stick out far? This thing blows it away!
View attachment 50602

I compared the needle to an Olympos Micron .18 needle - the diameter of the Neo Hohmi needle is fatter, and the taper is actually quite a bit longer than the Olympos. (Hoblein on top, Olympos on the bottom)
View attachment 50603

Another unique feature of the brush helps to explain why they call it "needle packing". This brush uses a fibrous material that gets inserted into small ports on each side of the brush to surround the needle, and "pack" the seal into place. The fibrous material is supposed to be wetted with "grease or vegetable palmade". I used mineral oil to moisten the fibers, and Airbrush Balm between the two sides to create a sandwich around the needle. Pressure is adjustable from both sides, right and left with small set screws that hold everything in place. Directions have you re-wetting the fibers once a month or as needed.
View attachment 50604 View attachment 50605

This brush sat for I do not know how long in a warehouse. The oils that were originally used on it had long since dried out, and gummed up - so the brush required a good cleaning before use. Easy enough - the brush has a very odd trigger setup, that works quite well, and offers a bit of adjustment. My personal preference will have me changing the needle spring with something softer. A quick test spray using Com-art transparent black straight from the bottle has the brush spraying fairly well. Things of note in this department - I needed to keep my MAC valve all the way open to get good atomization, and a line that was not broken or skipping. In contrast, I would use a Micron with the MAC valve open less than @1/3rd. Even with higher pressure entering the brush there was no more tendency for the paint to want to spider on the surface out of the Neo Hohmi. A relatively fine line was easy to maintain, and the lack of tip dry on that super long needle was noticeable out of the brush. I did not have to clean or pick the needle a single time while fooling around with the brush.
View attachment 50606

I'm including a recent sample of my work as a wrap up, just to give perspective about the kind of work that I do, and my ability with an airbrush...
View attachment 50607

DaveG,

I mentioned in our last conversation that you will need to reduce your paint more with this brush than usual. I did that with mine and was able to lower my air pressure with no issues to about 10PSI. I was spraying some Golden transparent blue and it was reduced about 50%.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

DaveG,

I mentioned in our last conversation that you will need to reduce your paint more with this brush than usual. I did that with mine and was able to lower my air pressure with no issues to about 10PSI. I was spraying some Golden transparent blue and it was reduced about 50%.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie
No doubt. My comments are what I do as a baseline - so that I can compare one brush across to another. Everyone always says "works like a Micron" - so, I test each brush the way I test my Micron(s). I use either a standard reduction of Createx Illustration colors, Golden High Flow, or Com-art. If it works "just like a Micron", I would expect to see similar results using similar test medium(s). If I need to alter things to get it to work "like Micron", well then it doesn't work like a Micron ;). I will wind up trying other paints, and eventually work out reduction ratios to suit this particular brush.

Last edited:
No doubt. My comments are what I do as a baseline - so that I can compare one brush across to another. Everyone always says "works like a Micron" - so, I test each brush the way I test my Micron(s). I use either a standard reduction of Createx Illustration colors, Golden High Flow, or Com-art. If it works "just like a Micron", I would expect to see similar results using similar test medium(s). If I need to alter things to get it to work "like Micron", well then it doesn't work like a Micron ;). I will wind up trying other paints, and eventually work out reduction ratios to suit this particular brush.

DaveG,

There is a difference with "works like" and "performs like". Isn't that the only thing that matters really -the end result? How you get there is irrelevant IMHO(provided it isn't a real labor to do).
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Chris - I will make it easy - I have 7 Microns to use as a baseline - the Hoblein neither "works like" or "performs like" a Micron :), no matter how you get there :thumbsup:. Nice brush, works quite well, but a Micron it isn't.

Ahhh but the holbein y 2 dash is pretty close, I call it holbien micron, in my opinion, my dash model is booboo jome, will perform at any pressure just like my microns, I love that lil guy

I might be willing to trade my y2 dash for another airbrush depending on what it is, if I only I can post pictures up, everyone I do, it says can only except images, I guess I'm doing something wrong #derp

I might be willing to trade my y2 dash for another airbrush depending on what it is, if I only I can post pictures up, everyone I do, it says can only except images, I guess I'm doing something wrong #derp
the neo hohmi uses the same needle, nozzle, and head pieces as the y2dash, just does not have the adjustable air flow feature. I've already got a dash lined up, but hope you find the trade you are looking for.

Back