HOK over Gold Leaf

otpowell

Double Actioner
Anyone done this? Any good suggestions on what kind of size to use to apply the gold leaf? Do they make a urethane size? Any prep that I have to do before laying paint on top? Perhaps a intercoat clear or a 2k clear before laying the paint on top? Thanks all I just had this idea today and can't find any examples or instances where people have done this..

intercoat over it definately it's real easy to make leaf look bad so protect it as quick as possible. Yes have used leaf to put a gold tooth on grim reaper once so shaded with hok after. :eek:nthego:

Last edited:
How is it easy to make it look bad? I herd that stuff is pretty durable.. What can happen to it to make it look bad?

Oh, what size did you use to get the gold leaf to stick to your work piece? I herd if you use a size that is enamel, and you use urethane paint over it. I never knew this but enamel And urethane are incompatible with each other. Can you use intercoat clear as the gold leaf adhesive? Or 2k as the adhesive instead of using the adhesive they call "size." Not sure what kind of solvents size comes in. I know it comes in enamel.

I used the mona lisa brand they sell at michaels held up for 5 years on a bike and 2 on a tailgate I did both still looking good.uploadfromtaptalk1362010155590.jpggold leaf is real thin and can discolor easy well the fake gold does never sprung for the expensive stuff.

I wonder if it would be better to spray some 2k clear and put the gold leaf on top of that instead of using size. Perhaps it would not stick as well.

I used the mona lisa brand they sell at michaels held up for 5 years on a bike and 2 on a tailgate I did both still looking good.View attachment 11559gold leaf is real thin and can discolor easy well the fake gold does never sprung for the expensive stuff.

Hey strictly, did you use a stencil for that design or masking application paper? Does using stencils and masking things work just as well with gold leaf as it does paint?

Back