HOK, safety, booths?

T

tau

Talk to me about safety. I've been reading all about how dangerous urethane's are, and have some things I need to lay down. I've seen a few links about building your own in a garage, and I'm kind of ok with that, but I'm wondering about fumes and air flow. My garage DOES have a water heater in it, behind a closed door, but the idea of blowing up my house(at the least) gives me pause.

I have mental design using PVC and ingress and egress fans (need to find a 'flame safe model), but I'm also wondering about the final venting. I'd rather vent the fumes and spray down a conduit of some flavor, and have the end point me another filter ending in a bag in a city size trash can, to at least give a good try and alleviating the spray and some vapor. Not that I could have the can closed, mind you, but still.

Thoughts ? Or should I just try to rent a booth at a garage instead for my kandie lay down and clearing ?

The HOK stuff is really giving me pause, safety wise, and while I've not invested a ton of $$, I have invested a ton of want to do certain things with ground metal. At least 3 semi large pieces...

thoughts ?

Is your garage attached to the house? If so, you will fume up your house regardless of what type of air filtration devices you use. This can have detrimental effects on your families health as well as your own! Plus, it's generally not a good idea to be atomizing highly flammable materials anywhere near an open flame (water heater) whether it's behind another door or not... an explosion, although very rare, is a concern. Government regulations are also a concern depending on where you live. If you have neighbors in close proximity that complain (fumes can travel far) to the right channels, you'll be looking at some very heavy fines. Just a few things to think about...

Noted, thanks! Question then, perhaps cheeky : how do other people do this ?

Noted, thanks! Question then, perhaps cheeky : how do other people do this ?

Basecoats are not as toxic as clear coat, although the atomized spray is just as flammable. With good ventilation (leave the garage door open if you're just airbrushing... if you're spraying a basecoat you can do the same, just try to pick a not so windy day) it can be done in a garage. Basecoat will still fume up the rest of your house if the garage is attached and you're spraying a lot of it. Just airbrushing shouldn't do this with the door open.

Farm your clear coat out to a local body shop. Talk to different shops in your area and see what they will charge. If the parts are small, some shops will spray it while there's another vehicle in the booth and won't charge you much if anything... A lot of material winds up wasted in a body shop.

Back