HOK Too much time between coats

S

Siouxzn

Sigh, I am hoping I did not mess a project up.

I have 5 helmets that I am painting.. Using House of Kolor

They are resin cast with a compatible primer that cured for 3 days.

Base coat was HOK bright white S2-26
Snow white pearl coat over that (S2-00 with DP24 dry pearl)
This was applied Sunday afternoon...

I still have to add a gold design on the front of them all (S2-01 and S2FX-02)

BUT I got called away suddenly for a small emergency which ended up lasting until late..
I have still been unable to do anything with them and here they sit... They do NOT have an intercoat applied, and now I am wondering if I can add the gold highlights with a clearcoat finish and it will bond.. I am afraid to sand it, because I did not add an intercoat at all.. its just the pearl coat.

If it is any factor.. these are not working helmets (obviously) so they will not be out in the weather or suffering any abuse

Please ! Some advice!

Attachments

• helmets.jpg
    helmets.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 23
Sigh, I am hoping I did not mess a project up.

I have 5 helmets that I am painting.. Using House of Kolor

They are resin cast with a compatible primer that cured for 3 days.

Base coat was HOK bright white S2-26
Snow white pearl coat over that (S2-00 with DP24 dry pearl)
This was applied Sunday afternoon...

I still have to add a gold design on the front of them all (S2-01 and S2FX-02)

BUT I got called away suddenly for a small emergency which ended up lasting until late..
I have still been unable to do anything with them and here they sit... They do NOT have an intercoat applied, and now I am wondering if I can add the gold highlights with a clearcoat finish and it will bond.. I am afraid to sand it, because I did not add an intercoat at all.. its just the pearl coat.

If it is any factor.. these are not working helmets (obviously) so they will not be out in the weather or suffering any abuse

Please ! Some advice!

I'd go for it. Custom jobs often take a very long time to complete. It's not ideal but it's how it happens. Probably wont have any issues just start w a tack coat, use slow reducer if you have it.

Bottom line, no-one is going to be able to tell you it will definitely screw it up. So no sense starting over.
You don't lose much if it doesn't work ( 95 percent it will) compared to your loss starting over.

very good points! I will give it a try.

I do not have a slow reducer, I DO have a medium (RU311).

so a very light dusting and let it flash dry? (how long?). I am not sure what a bit more means (sorry.. still learning).. or perhaps two tack coats?

Yeah, just as normal but two tack coats, or three if your comfortable normal is two, normal higher end of flash times. Just not so much that it's going to make it horribly difficult for you to get your clear to lay down.
Idk hok flash time off hand, but should be easy to find the tds

For onlookers;
If it weren't pearl but was a solid color I'd say sand a little , shoot a light base then move forward but with white pearl your likely to get black specs that show through if you did that.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I feel a little better..

and interesting about the black specs!! I had a 3D printed helmet I did a test run with, and I did scuff the pearl a bit. I noticed some tiny black specs but figured it was dust (I am without an adequate painting booth).

and interesting about the black specs!! I had a 3D printed helmet I did a test run with, and I did scuff the pearl a bit. I noticed some tiny black specs but figured it was dust (I am without an adequate painting booth).
It's from sanding into the mica.
Metallics will do it too.

little off topic, but you can make very cheap paint booth. If you scale down for your needs off course. There is no need to have such a big one like on a video if you don't shoot big stuff

The majority of my cost would be increasing the size of my garage (which currently looks like it could be on an episode of hoarders)

I paint in my driveway on nice days at the moment.....

BUT that is an awesome idea and if I get all the crap out at some point I will look into this

:)

I've been thinking, Could you not scuff and recoat with the pearl, then carry on but intercoat if you start to run out of time ?

Lee

Ok, I gave it a go.. lets see how it does curing in the next 24 hours

Attachments

• 44174427_262321364455723_5516728961628897280_n.jpg
    44174427_262321364455723_5516728961628897280_n.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 44208408_295180491315988_4116628150652239872_n.jpg
    44208408_295180491315988_4116628150652239872_n.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 28
I am just in the habit of laying a seal coat so to speak of intercoat clear between layers , Something Craig Fraser once told me , Doing that allows you to leave a job of weeks or even months if life gets too much in the way. Then you can simple scuff and go .

I am just in the habit of laying a seal coat so to speak of intercoat clear between layers , Something Craig Fraser once told me , Doing that allows you to leave a job of weeks or even months if life gets too much in the way. Then you can simple scuff and go .

I will absolutely do this in the future! Just that little step would save a lot of headache!

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Back