Holbein Aeroflash Paints

airbrushtutor

Love Spreading Overseer
Been a while since i've made a decent post, but i thought i'd share my experiences with Holbein Aeroflash paints.
I ordered these from the states due to their unavailability locally in Sydney and hence paid a premium for them, they're certainly not the cheapest of airbrush paints - but competitively priced i suppose.

I gave these a test run on Claybord, using a hp-sb - side feed hi line from iwata and here is the result:
holbein.jpg

So a few things to comment on:

1. Tip Dry?
Yeah tip dry is horrible, if you want to use these for mainly free hand work then look for another brand. tip dry is almost instantaneous.
2. Coverage?
Fantastic coverage.
3. Scratchability (blade work)?
Incredible - the control that you have with blade work using this paint is the BEST i have used. The reason for this is because I was able to scratch the top layer of color in various areas without scratching back the bottom layer of paint.
here is a quick series of photos to demonstrate:
holbein1.jpg holbein2.jpg holbein3.jpg
Createx illustration paints do this up to a point, but aren't as friendly with the blade, it tends to be all or nothing, whereas similar to E-tac EFX, Holbein's Aeroflash is really friendly with blade work.
4. Erasability?
Incredible. Also the best paint i've used for erasability, with soft to hard erasers. I didn't use the fibreglass brush on it, but i assume from how it erases that it would be incredible.
Once again you have the ability to erase the top layer of paint only and it erases extremely uniform. Some paints will scratch off and scuff slightly more on some areas of the eraser due to the way erasers are manufactured, but this paint had no issues, you have great control over the erasing.
5. Dry time?
Excellent - paralleled by createx illustration colors - i actually did a side by side test and these were more of less the same in my laboratory conditions :malicious:.
6. Atomisation?
Very coarse. Unfortunately. But that's what you get from a paint that covers very well. To me it looks slightly coarse than CI paints, doesn't really compete with com-art or EFX in this area.
7. Color Range?
I love the colors. They are super vibrant, meaning you have more control to tint or shade the color as they are so highly saturated. Great for 'pop' art and very similar to CI colors and com-arts.

Just thought i'd share these thoughts and let you know it's a paint that i'd highly recommend for full color works.

Mitch:p

Paints arrived today very quick and packaged perfectly, im out a Karate tonight so hopefully not too sore to give them a run when im home!

Thanks... I about to take my first spray on my next project that scares the be jesus out of me - A fantasy art Dragon. Very nervous about this hence why I am trying to do it:::))))

After using these paints for a week, im finding them very very saturated, they pop with a deep vividness , did a swatch card but can't convey the colours so didn't bother posting it. Ordered a few of the other colours and im really happy with them. The tip dry on cMC was as the tutor said - nearly instant a few drops of water though and it was gone. Using my SB with the Marissa needle helped a lot but still needed thinning a tad.

After using these paints for a week, im finding them very very saturated, they pop with a deep vividness , did a swatch card but can't convey the colours so didn't bother posting it. Ordered a few of the other colours and im really happy with them. The tip dry on cMC was as the tutor said - nearly instant a few drops of water though and it was gone. Using my SB with the Marissa needle helped a lot but still needed thinning a tad.
Thanks for letting us know how they worked out for you buddy :) These paints will likely be used at the Adelaide course :)

Back