Holbein?

splasha

Detail Decepticon!
Hi,All.
Anyone here know anything about a strange coota called a Holbein 1350 - Y1?
A local art store here in my town has statred stocking these, but don't seem to have much in the way of info to go with 'em.
Don't seem too bad for the price [ range starts at $96AUD and goes to nearly $300] , but would like some feedback /reviews before I think about putting down some cash on one!
Any thoughts or comments, please?:sus::confused:

Dru Blair use to use Holbein Aeroflash before he went Wicked Detail and now Illustration. Apparently the Illustration colours are based on Holbein colours. I see it's pretty expensive at Coast.

No, Andre, I was refering to an airbrush made by Holbein, being sold at a local art supply shop.
Was wondering if anyone has heard of them or used one?

Sorry, my bad. I will stick to brands that has back-up. No matter how cheap it may seem.

No worries.
I'm just curious because I've never heard of 'em before and would like some sort of opinion on 'em.
Might even go in and have a look see.
If I think it's worth something, I might even ask to have a trial?
Who knows, might find something good!:laugh:

This is their range at the moment.
Sorry about the lack of info, but I'm going to go have a peek at these as soon as I can get to town.

Attachments

• Holbein AB #201 7cc Cup.0.3 NeedlePNG.PNG
    Holbein AB #201 7cc Cup.0.3 NeedlePNG.PNG
    80 KB · Views: 22
  • Holbein AB #201 2cc Cup 0.2 needle.PNG
    Holbein AB #201 2cc Cup 0.2 needle.PNG
    79.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Holbein AB #501 7cc Cup.0.3 NeedlePNG.PNG
    Holbein AB #501 7cc Cup.0.3 NeedlePNG.PNG
    80.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Holbein AB 1350-Y1.PNG
    Holbein AB 1350-Y1.PNG
    94 KB · Views: 21
After a lengthy search on the Net, it appears these are Japanese made airbrushes.
Have no idea about what the quality, but their website - after translation - showed some of their artists [ members, I'd guess ] works.
Would still like to have a loan of one to assess it.

Went into town earlier this morning, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the art shop in question did actually have 1 or 2 of these brushes in store.
At first glance, probably due to the generic boxing, it appears very much like the Veda series brushes.
Same generic foam carrier, same dorky plastic pipette and pressed spanner and fork-tail airline connector.
I was pleased to find that the trigger moved freely [ no apparent grinding or scoring ] and the chrome finish on it is excellent.
The model was obviously the smaller size .2mm with the 3 cc cup. [Gravity fed].
It's motion was smooth with no obvious flaws, it returned crisply and had most of the general attributes of other brushes of it's type, the exception being MAC valve control.
Since this particular brush had a tag of only $140 AUD, I was most intrigued.
The sales lass had little or no idea how they worked, so I informed her that the instruction sheet accompanying it was not for this model, but was ok for a generic guide.
She then informed me that they have sold"quite a few " of these brushes and expect to get more in soon.
I asked her if maybe she should ask one of these guys to do a review for their website.
Like most cautious buyers, I'm reluctant to part with cash on anything, unless I believe it's good for what I want.
At first glance, this one has the goods, but I'll wait 'til I've done some more snooping.
Thanks for reading.
Splasha.

holbeins dont have black handles. the old holbeins are the y series y dash series the new holbeins are toricon, i have them and they are fantastic

yeah, someone that knows the collection of brushes I already have has suggested that I may enjoy checking out Holbein. He swears by his, and compares the results he is getting out of them with those of a Micron at a fraction of the cost. He was lucky enough to pick up an older used one for just a few dollars.

Not a common brush to purchase in the States, I have been given a few European links that put them in the $125-135 range... may wind up checking them out as I go, although I kind of had a Grafo in my sights already... too many choices!

yeah, someone that knows the collection of brushes I already have has suggested that I may enjoy checking out Holbein. He swears by his, and compares the results he is getting out of them with those of a Micron at a fraction of the cost. He was lucky enough to pick up an older used one for just a few dollars.

Not a common brush to purchase in the States, I have been given a few European links that put them in the $125-135 range... may wind up checking them out as I go, although I kind of had a Grafo in my sights already... too many choices!
grafos are pretty, but that holbein though, they call it the poor mans iwata, i have 2 y2s the old ones and the new toeicon, the old ones yes i would say they are holbeins microns, but i feel alot if brushes are microns but no one referrs them as microns, just another brush, mr. hobby has a great line to, huge fan

Back