For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Home lap steel slide guitar (wip)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Madbrush, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I wasn't really looking at making them for other people although if anyone else wanted to build one I would help out.

There are indeed some pretty ugly models on there, lol, but they all seem to get the right sound:)

Lol I think pink Floyd isn't going to happen on this but I'll try anything once;)
    jord001 likes this.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Love the tone Mr Mad! You must be stoked. And Vox amps are the best, so jealous of that too!
    jord001 likes this.
  3. afterdark

afterdark My friends call me Ward Very Likeable!

I'm blown away Madbrush, I knew I was missing out on something great.
    Glad I popped back in for a little while.
    Awesome job!
    jord001 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Code Dragon Slayer Admin

That sounds great MadBrush, and the case looks great too.

Well done :)
    jord001 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Thank you very much A, and it's great to see you back hanging around:thumbsup:

Thanks WK, I had as much fun making the case as I did making the guitar but I really only did the case to kill some time while I was waiting for other events to happen;)
    jord001 and WhiteKnight like this.
  6. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Wow @Malky. That looks and sounds fantastic Mate! I really like what you did with the tuners, they were worth the literal “Blood” sweat and tears as it really makes for a cool look. The paint finish is way cool too.
    I might have missed it, but what pickup did you end up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001 likes this.
  7. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

The pick-up is a Gibson PAF humbucker copy from a company called "Boston", it cost around €40 at the time but it had great reviews and works and sounds great, I have plans to build another one but will use top of the range genuine parts, this one was more of test run and didn't want to spend too much, since this one was such success I don't mind paying more for big name parts, especially if I can create a beautiful instrument, even if I didn't play it, they make great ornamental pieces.

As you can see the strings feed though the back of the body but I have the tail piece that you have at the back of the Gibson les Paul so that I can just place the ball end into the slots, it will be quicker to change strings and should look cooler too.

I'll be picking up the new strings on Wednesday so I want the new tail piece on ready for them.
    jord001 likes this.
  8. SiRoxx

Very cool. So you’re going for the Les Paul tail piece rather than Telecaster through body. I agree, the extra jewellery from the LP will look great. Do you think you’ll do another thread for the new one?

jord001 likes this.
  9. Malky

Yes my main goal is to be able to restring it while it remains upright on my knees, I'm a lazy bastard lol

I wasn't really planning on another thread for the new one since the process and mechanics would be pretty much the same, although I do expect to take loads of photos so would be happy to do another if asked, however, if your keen to build one yourself I will happily answer any queries you might have, it's a fun thing to do especially after your done and you plug it in and it not only actually works but sounds amazing.

I should point out that the single coil stray type pick up allows for more scope with tonal control on these guitars and for that reason are usually recommended, I only chose the humbucker approach because I've never liked the dark space around the single coil, on the next one I hope to use a tapped humbucker to get the best of both worlds.

My Ibanez guitar has one tapped humbucker and two single coils so I can get the strat sound on all three pick ups or the Gibson sound on the bridge pick up although my middle pick up needs resoldering at the minute which I'll do next time I restring.

I hope you do want to build one, if you love guitars as I do it's sonething that should be on your bucket list, its an education and by the time you've done one you'll know all there is to know about servicing and setting up your standard guitars, I did loads of research to build mine but the next one will a piece of cake, the only thing I'll need is wiring diagram for tapped pick ups which can be found in abundance on line, so as well as fully functional instrument I got an education as well as a great feeling of pride, and when you build your own its a one off, no one else has one the same as it and you decide for yourself what shape it takes.:)
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  10. SiRoxx

It’s definitely something on my list. I really like the sound that Lap Steel adds to songs, like Ronnie Wood playing live when The Stones do “Happy”. But I also dig some slightly cheesy county, where the instrument is essential lol. I was thinking that Tapping a humbucker would be a good way of opening up the tonal options. I have a tapped single sized HB in the bridge of my main gigging Telecaster, it gives me a surprising amount of options. Wood work is not my forte, but I’m lucky enough to have a Dad who’s a dabhand with woodworking and it’s always cool when we get to do a small project together. So I would like to have a pop in the future. I’d love to see and hear the new one, even if you just post something when it’s done rather than the whole thread.

jord001 likes this.
  11. Malky

If your dad has a plunge router and is a good with that he'll be able to save loads of time on the wood work side, I cut all of mine out using just a drill, hammer and chisel, it took ages but the total build/paint time was around 40 hours.
  12. SiRoxx

I’m pretty sure he has, so I’m glad to hear that.
    When I get round to it I’ll let you know for sure.

jord001 likes this.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon!

Never seen this thread. That's cool result @Malky and good music!:thumbsup:
    You can make thing, definitely!
    jord001 likes this.
  14. Malky

Thanks Vlad, not sure about "good music" but it certainly keeps me amused, i prefer to call it "nice noises" lol

:thumbsup: in the meantime spend a little time here and there checking the parts you need and what material and finish you would like, as I said when you make your how it looks at then is entirely up to you, only the position of of your working parts are essential, everything else is yiur choice, I've seen some dude on YouTube make one out of a skateboard.

And here is something else I want to try out;

Check out this guy's channel, I totally love what he does, he knows how to make people feel good:)
    jord001, Vladimir and SiRoxx like this.
  15. SiRoxx

That is really cool. I’ve seen the shovel video before, but didn’t check out the channel. I will now. Thanks Dude.

jord001 likes this.
  16. Malky

I've got him playing on my telly now so I don't have to watch all the Christmas shitelol
  17. SiRoxx

Haha, I don’t mind some Christmas stuff. Just got done watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation for the umpteenth time. It still makes me laugh every time.

jord001 likes this.
  18. Malky

I hate Christmas, living on my own its just no fun, my sons and other family are all too busy with their own stuff to even phone me, I've recorded loads of films on my sky box to protect me from it all, if I run out of films I'll induce a toothache so I can still have a better timelol
  19. SiRoxx

I get that. It hasn’t always been my favourite time of year either. I also did a lot of movie watching lol. Fortunately I love movies, movie making and the whole shebang, so I’ve never yet run out of stuff to watch.

jord001 likes this.
  20. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon!

I like such arranged kind of noises and can call it music at the time many of arranged noises people listen to and consider to be "music" I'd never call music;) Though, that's just personal preferences.

That guy rocks!:thumbsup:
    Malky, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.