For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Home lap steel slide guitar (wip)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Madbrush, Apr 5, 2015.

1. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Dunno how i missed all this, mind you it started a couple of years back. Your geeetar looks and sounds great mate. Cracking job. The new one should come out even better now you know what your doing.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  2. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

I think at the time I did this you weren't around as much, I know you've had few periods where life got in the way like it does so most likely it was done during one of those periods:)

I can't wait to get playing it again, I haven't touched it moving back from Holland, @SiRoxx I picked up my me strings today and have everything off ready for the LP tail piece tomorrow, I have some piccies which I'll post with other piccies I take as I go, looking forward to seeing how it looks and how it sounds when I'm done:)
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  3. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That’s awesome Malky, thanks. That LP tail piece will look really cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001 likes this.
  4. SiRoxx

I’m glad my being nosey about this project brought it on your radar Lee lol.

jord001 likes this.
  5. Malky

I have to do a little shopping in about 10 minutes then I'm ready make a start but I'm a little worried about the strings now, the first string is 0.014 but it still has to be tuned to "E", it's quite a jump from 0.09 so I'm worried it's going to snap due the extreme tension, same goes for the second string which is 0.017, I could use lighter strings from a spare I have Ibanez but I don't to break that set up, I'll have have look around for alternatives, I'll still have a go with what I have but I've had strings snap on me before, one even slashe my ear lobe and easily have been my eye, I'm thinking 12 and 14/15 night be safer if I can find them.
  6. Malky

@SiRoxx And it's done.

This what I had;
    slide 1.jpg

This is what I have now, far prettier methinks, simple case of drilling two holes for the two pins that the tail piece slides onto;
    slide 2.jpg

And here it is with the new strings on;
    slide 4.jpg

You can't see it here but all the wound strings are a bronze colour which I don't like at all, I went out of my way to keep everything chrome coloured because I thought it would look better with the blue but those strings stick out like a sore thumb spoiling the appearance.

I managed to tune all strings with out the issue I was worrying about so it is now C6 tuning as planned, I haven't attempted to play it yet but I have messed around a little with it off the amp, I'm not impressed so far because it will take some getting used to, I won't give up on the tuning yet until I'm sure it's not for me, this tuning is supposed to be suited to Hawaiian and country sounds, in fact playing the open like strumming a chord does have an Hawaiian feel to it, since I'm more after tuning better suited to blues and light rock there's a good chance I'll return to standard tuning or search for better alternatives, it was tuned to open E before so I might stick to that just with thicker 1st and 2nd strings.

Overall I'm happy with the look and there is a better sound from it but I think this has more to do with the strings going through metal instead of wood, it's actually quite loud even without an amp, I'll mess with the current tuning to see what I can get out it of before returning to something more conventional for the crap I like to play:)

It might sound like I'm not happy but I'm keeping it out of it's case now and it will remain on display next my Ibanez in the living room since it's more fun to look at now:)

Almost forgot, restringing is an absolute doddle:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  7. SiRoxx

That look fantastic Malky. There’s definitely something in the tail piece that makes for a tidier look, it just seems to set the whole piece off right. Awesome work Buddy, that’s a project to be proud of for sure. Thanks for posting the update to, it’s been fun to read through the thread.

jord001 likes this.
  8. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

Oh wow that looks cool! I'm glad someone resurrected this thread. Umm, why do the strings have to be so thick? I would think a set of .12 electric strings would suffice for such a guitar? Plus you'd have the silver strings you're after. Acoustic strings do tend to be bronze.
    jord001 likes this.
  9. SiRoxx

I’d guess it’s a tone thing. With a lap steel you don’t need to bend or even feet the strings as you would with a regular guitar, so you can get away with having heavy strings that help deliver a killer tone. I’ve never played one, but I guess having more resilient strings helps with not pulling the note sharp due to pressure.
    But both of those are only a guess.

jord001 likes this.
  10. Jurien72

Right, and I only know scant little when it comes to lap steels, but I doubt there could be all that much difference between .12 and .14. Oh well, as long as you enjoy playing it!
  11. SiRoxx

Sure, I couldn’t tell you how much difference there is. I know the jump from 9’s to 11’s is huge in terms of feel and tone. I have 12’s on my acoustic as that made a big difference to the sound there too. But I’ve never gone above 12’s so I really couldn’t say. We have a band in the U.K. called Status Quo (some day cheesy, others recognise the brilliance lol) anyhow, one of the guys in the band has a Tele loaded with 14’s and somehow managed to play lead! Must have been like trying to bend Power Cables lol, but somehow he did and always had killer tone live. I doubt there’s have been much audible difference if he’d have lowered to 12’s though.

jord001 likes this.
  12. Jurien72

Status Quo? I'd say it's cheesily brilliant but I apparently don't understand! Wow, the biggest strings I've ever played were 12s and that was on an acoustic. I just watched a Youtube video that claimed that string gauge doesn't matter that much... I like to put 9-46s on any "Les Paul"-ish guitars I play because it gives a thicker bottom end. On a Strat type guitar it just mucks up the whammy bar. Go figure lol.
  13. SiRoxx

I’m sure it’s like a lot of things around guitars and tone. Most of it is probably a placebo effect. I’ve had people try and tell me that the finish on an electric guitar makes an audible difference. I highly doubt I could hear it lol. But I’m sure I’ve heard the difference in my acoustic and my Tele with heavier strings. And I’ll never get why certain things mess with a Trem system lol.

jord001 likes this.
  14. Jurien72

I think a lot of misconceptions stem from the difference between an acoustic and an electric. Also there are nutcases that chase the ghost of "tone". Certainly the wood, the finish etc. Make a huge difference in an acoustic- I'm not so convinced that they have the same effect on a solid-body electric!
  15. SiRoxx

Me neither Mate. By the time I add the drive, delay and a touch of chorus, my guitar may as well be built from cardboard lol.

jord001 likes this.
  16. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I have 10's on my fender I think so it would be easier on my fingers while I learn, they could be cheese strings for all that matters cos I still can't play :)

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  17. Jurien72

Try a set of 9s... 10s can be a bit stiff when youre learning. A lot of people say to start with heavy strings to strengthen your fingers, but hell you dont walk into a gym and bench press 500 lbs!
    SiRoxx likes this.
  18. SiRoxx

Definitely go for 9’s. It doesn’t seem like much, but the step down from 10’s will be noticeably easier. Initially they all hurt like hell because as a beginner you press so hard. But like everything, it comes with time and practice.