Homemade Clay board

Kingpin

AKA, SIR KingPin
Staff member
Mod
Just knocked up a few boards using the homemade clayboard recipe used in the thread here

I used 2 tablespoons of white glue
6 tablespoons of white kaolin clay powder
1 tablespoon of titanium white powder
mixed to a consistency of double cream (heavy cream)

This gave me enough to give 2 A4 boards 5 coats each and 1 A3 board 4 coats :)

Looking forward to trying it out now, do You have to give the boards time to cure or can it be used straight away?

I didnt prime the boards first, just coated with the mixture, 3 coats were applied, drying with a heat gun between each layer. then they had a light sanding and the rest of the coats were applied :)

before
20240418_184552.jpg

after
20240418_184625.jpg

I just painted it on with a 3" brush and then You dry it straight away with a hot air gun :)

this is really interesting, i love anything like this, make your own, i'm interested to see how they work when you get painting on them.

Just knocked up a few boards using the homemade clayboard recipe used in the thread here

I used 2 tablespoons of white glue
6 tablespoons of white kaolin clay powder
1 tablespoon of titanium white powder
mixed to a consistency of double cream (heavy cream)

This gave me enough to give 2 A4 boards 5 coats each and 1 A3 board 4 coats :)

Looking forward to trying it out now, do You have to give the boards time to cure or can it be used straight away?

I didnt prime the boards first, just coated with the mixture, 3 coats were applied, drying with a heat gun between each layer. then they had a light sanding and the rest of the coats were applied :)

before
View attachment 88881

after
View attachment 88882
Thanks very much for sharing 🙏

Cheers Boss, I dont plan on using it for a little while (1 or 2 paiptpals to paint first :) ) just wanted to check :cool:
I much prefer a natural dry rather than forced dry (and it’s often the cause of my paintpal going out later than planned)
I’d be doing a layer, letting it dry, rinse and repeat.
And don’t store them anywhere that damp air can get to them !!!

Cool job Ian, I use waterproof white glue, let dry, a light sand with 240 grit between coats. Repeat for each coat. By the last coat I go 240 grit then 400 grit final sanding with 800 grit. The result is a smooth but very durable surface on which you can scratch erase and mask without any problems. There are only benefits making your own clayboard, cheaper then buying, can make any size or form and at last by changing the pigment you can make any color. For example use black oxide pigment you get a ready to use surface for true fire.

I much prefer a natural dry rather than forced dry (and it’s often the cause of my paintpal going out later than planned)
I’d be doing a layer, letting it dry, rinse and repeat.
And don’t store them anywhere that damp air can get to them !!!
Cool job Ian, I use waterproof white glue, let dry, a light sand with 240 grit between coats. Repeat for each coat. By the last coat I go 240 grit then 400 grit final sanding with 800 grit. The result is a smooth but very durable surface on which you can scratch erase and mask without any problems. There are only benefits making your own clayboard, cheaper then buying, can make any size or form and at last by changing the pigment you can make any color. For example use black oxide pigment you get a ready to use surface for true fire.
A few questions!

How many coats do You Peeps do?

Can You using watercolour paper rather than boards ?

Good to hear, looking forwards to results.

I tried homemade gesso recipes, adding chalk to white paint, primer, etc over the years. For regular canvas prep I use drywall primer which gives a fantastic tooth but way too aggressive for airbrushing.

I've been testing out different surfaces for when I start painting (soon). Claybord, Yupo, Terra slate, gesso on MDF, hot press paper, cold press paper, bristol yada yada yada. I have 15 oz canvas next. But I have to finish my dots daggers first.

Back