Homemade (with tender loving care) Airbrush

I have an indexing head, as well as a 5c spin indexer and a few small rotary tables. Working vertical, I use the rotary table with dividing plates.

5C :(

I was guessing what size of chuck you used. Right one?:

1.JPG

The setups I wind up using are not always the most logical in an ideal world

What might be illogical can lead to something very cool in the end;)
I more or less understand what setups you use. Why not to use rotary table with the chuck married to it? In the end it's like alltimehorisontal position dividing head:D Rigidity is enough to mill body slots, especially with back tail. Only mind breaking process there is zeroing the chuck.
Three inch size device is very convenient one for the subject.

but I go off of the results I get vs. what "should" be best ;).

Key words! Results are on the photo above.

I will search for a video on the chuck truing. Basically you place material between the jaws (on the angles, not the center) while closing it, so it is under clamping force, then bore the jaws. Hone afterwards to smooth the jaw faces while still under clamping pressure. I believe it was a Southbend tech that posted a video, but will have to search to be certain.

Would be great! Description is good, but in this case vid is the best.

Yes, it is the collets that I have been having difficulty in getting good, repeatable results from - and I can't afford to keep throwing money at them. Cheaper to use a 4 jaw, and spend the time dialing it in...

Reasonable!
You don't have mass production there and have time to play with indicators.

By the way. I'd recommend for your tender loving machining this nut:

2.JPG

Exactly for tender processes;) You just feel what you do with it! I understand what people might think about now:)
I got this from your country. Guy also sells 32's size. His prices are sweet.

This is the 5c spin indexer I use - I actually really like this unit. Is is super fast to set up, and is very repeatable. I do have a tailstock that goes with it.
5C spin indexer1.jpg

I have a high quality 4" rotary table that I use several chucks on. Most of the time, it is a very accurate 3" (80mm) 3 jaw scroll chuck mounted. I also have a few additional 3 and 4 inch chucks both scroll and independent jaw. I also have a 6 inch dividing head that has a couple of larger chucks that fit it. Very accurate, but I don't use it often. It is large, and heavy. I can keep a regular (good quality) 3" tilt and rotating vice and the 5c indexer, or rotary table mounted all the time. If I use the Indexing head, it is all the fits... I can accomplish everything I want to do between the 5C and rotary table. I have 6 and 8 inch chucks for my larger lathe...

I have a few ER32 collets from RCMS. They are the better ones I have, for sure. I will check to see if they have an 80mm holder for the mini lathe.

I use and R8 shank ER40 collet holder in my mill - have for about 15 years. I swap it out with a 1/2 drill chuck and/or slitting saws when needed.

I made the decision to add a few different air passage configurations to experimental head bases to test later on - better to do them while I have the setups in use -

test head bases1.jpg

Good setup you have!

You've come up to what I was going to try. I mean multiple air holes. I've seen this in Air Pro brand airbrushes (Taiwan). The holes were thin and very accurately made.
I think this would improve the flow inside the air cap.

Looking forward to your testing! It's very interesting what will be shown in the end.

OK, got head bases done. After a careful inspection I found one reject in a batch I did. I missed by about the width of a human hair (0.0025"). I replaced the part with another I had already had started, so the batch is complete. The part I rejected may work anyhow, so I will keep it around until I can test it in action.

head base inpsection1.jpg

Vladimir - I did get a couple of collet nuts, and a few more collets from RMCS - really like the bearing nut. I was able to get some parts dialed in very, very well.

ER32-collet-nut1.jpg

I missed by about the width of a human hair (0.0025"). I replaced the part with another I had already had started, so the batch is complete. The part I rejected may work anyhow, so I will keep it around until I can test it in action.

6 microns... How would that make any difference to the length size?:) I'm not sure that all the nozzles are perfect clones. BTW, have you measured their length the way you've made the measurements of the bases?
Besides, the material nozzle distance out of the air cap is much longer compared to what you have in the "wrong" base.

Serious measurements on the granite plate!;) What class is that?

Vladimir - I did get a couple of collet nuts, and a few more collets from RMCS - really like the bearing nut. I was able to get some parts dialed in very, very well.

Nice fit:thumbsup:
Have you measured the difference between bearing and random nuts with the indicator? I mean with the same perfect "silver"?

I thought about dust protective cap for the nut. Cool thing is to have good nut protected and also have spring collet always clean as having some small chip in there is of no any good to the final turned results... This one would work with the same diameter brass rods in use. You only have to make piece for the diameter used.

This is the 5c spin indexer I use - I actually really like this unit. Is is super fast to set up, and is very repeatable. I do have a tailstock that goes with it.

I somehow searched for similar thing , but with ER. Never found one.
5C is narrows your abilities to work with the size of the spring collet, unlike ER. SO they are :(

6 microns... How would that make any difference to the length size?:) I'm not sure that all the nozzles are perfect clones. BTW, have you measured their length the way you've made the measurements of the bases?
Besides, the material nozzle distance out of the air cap is much longer compared to what you have in the "wrong" base.

Serious measurements on the granite plate!;) What class is that?

Nice fit:thumbsup:
Have you measured the difference between bearing and random nuts with the indicator? I mean with the same perfect "silver"?

I thought about dust protective cap for the nut. Cool thing is to have good nut protected and also have spring collet always clean as having some small chip in there is of no any good to the final turned results... This one would work with the same diameter brass rods in use. You only have to make piece for the diameter used.

I somehow searched for similar thing , but with ER. Never found one.
5C is narrows your abilities to work with the size of the spring collet, unlike ER. SO they are :(

The bearing nut cut the runout in half using the same workpiece with the same collet, and would remain consistent each time I took the piece out and returned it. With the original nut, I would have to tighten, lossen, tighten the nut several times to align the piece (if I could get it back to the same orientation)

The length will alter the amount of nozzle protrusion (reducing it), and is beyond the dimension I have spec'd for that area. I will test the piece anyway to see what if any difference is found in the end.

You can get an ER32 holder with 5c shank (I have one with an MT2 shank for use in the lathe tailstock). I also have a 3 jaw scroll chuck with 5c shank...

Attachments

• 5c-er32.jpg
    5c-er32.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2
The length will alter the amount of nozzle protrusion (reducing it), and is beyond the dimension I have spec'd for that area. I will test the piece anyway to see what if any difference is found in the end.

I'm sure this base will also work. And it will also show what length is better and where to dig in the future;) Testing will show.

You can get an ER32 holder with 5c shank (I have one with an MT2 shank for use in the lathe tailstock). I also have a 3 jaw scroll chuck with 5c shank...

Pretty much the solution for short pieces that would come inside such inserts.
But dividing head will solve that problem, it also has fast indexing wheel in front:) I have again to bring it from the US...

Sorry I missed it - but, the granite is toolroom, or grade B. It is enough to make me feel like I am being consistent ;). Besides, it is about the largest flat surface I have that doesn't have something else piled up on it.

Sorry I missed it - but, the granite is toolroom, or grade B. It is enough to make me feel like I am being consistent ;).

Three point install of the plate? For more feeling of being consistent:)
I have plans for 000 or at least 00 stone plates. All I have now cast iron ones of different sizes.

Besides, it is about the largest flat surface I have that doesn't have something else piled up on it.

Can't I understand you? When someone wants to have multiple task production shops in one garage, that one has no choice, especially understanding value of the reference surfaces:) The plate is covered and tenderly cared of:D

With head bases done, I have turned my attention to the air cap(s). I have been working out the internal structure/dimensions, and tolerances. I am pretty happy with the way the first test piece turned out without having to make any adjustment to the nozzle post.

air cap1.jpg

air cap2.jpg

These recent pieces are looking amazing Buddy. Your .2 conversion may have just tipped me over the edge to pick up an Eclipse Takumi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back