Hot rod compressor

Well see, use one to power it and the other as the compressor head, just need some dome tops and maybe a little filler in the combustion chamber. Hello 600cfm! no tank ever needed
Well one of them is twin turbo 2750 horse that came out of my drag car, the other is set up for NOS and was putting out just a tad under 2500 hp with just engine.So maybe 900 cfm But due to life I pulled the engines and sold the car , But I guess that is just a part of life LOL. Wonder Hook up a 4 speed with them and then I would have a vari speed compressor the down side it they both burn about 5 gallons in an 1/8 LOL

Guess you would probably need a cam with zero overlap on the valves, or maybe just having a check valv ewould work but yeah there ya go 900 cfm at 180 psi. Now what would you use it for?
guess you could sandblast away a few miles of freeway a day

Guess you would probably need a cam with zero overlap on the valves but yeah there ya go 900 cfm at 180 psi. Now what would you use it for?
guess you could sandblast away a few miles of freeway a day
Nah I could use media blast the old 54 Pontiac sitting in the garage LOL

LOL Nah back in the 70's 20 hp on a compressor was over kill I think the one built with gas motors now only have 5 hp engines on them.
Hmm 454 powered compressor with a 100 gallon tank . I happen to have a couple of old 454's in the garage now ya got me thinking good thing it is way to cold for me to go start on it LOL
Haha, atta Boy [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well see, use one to power it and the other as the compressor head, just need some dome tops and maybe a little filler in the combustion chamber. Hello 600cfm! no tank ever needed
I was going to say, it’s not overkill until you can use the cylinders as the air tank lol.

Well one of them is twin turbo 2750 horse that came out of my drag car, the other is set up for NOS and was putting out just a tad under 2500 hp with just engine.So maybe 900 cfm But due to life I pulled the engines and sold the car , But I guess that is just a part of life LOL. Wonder Hook up a 4 speed with them and then I would have a vari speed compressor the down side it they both burn about 5 gallons in an 1/8 LOL
I’ve said it before Herb, but you really need to sit and write your Memoirs someday. That would be a hell of a good read! [emoji3]

Nice, then you've got some frame reinforcement to work on anyhow.
Nope I have already changed the frame on it . It will handle what ever engine I put in it even if I just put back the flat head straight 8 that came in it LOL.
I have changed the rear to 4 link and upgraded the braking system already , Main thing left is the body which it still sitting on the rotesserie waiting for me to have time to media blast it .
But I am also deciding what drive train I want to go with, I have the 2 454's a 400 Pontiac and a 428 Pontiac and a couple of old 327 4 bolt mains to pick from. I also have both small block and big block power glides and a few more modern trannys stored away.
Just deciding to make it a daily driver or street stripe ride is the hard part LOL

I’ve said it before Herb, but you really need to sit and write your Memoirs someday. That would be a hell of a good read! [emoji3]

Nah cause to me life has just been full of ups and down just like everyone else in the world.

My vote is the 400. Chevy motors are fine and all but pontiacs and olds are tits in my book.
Don't know much about the 428 though.

428 was the big boy of the pontiac line made from 66 to 69 and cost you a grand extra to have put in. parts are harder to find vs the 400 , If I go the 400 route it will be built to match my Judge which is about 1400 hp over stock LOL yeah I am a horse power junky dual 1150 cfm carbs to make sure the fuel gets dumped fast LOL

Olds is where my rocket comes from, the two t's are just because of my actual last name. Ive got the Olds rocket on my left arm.
But of course I currently dont even own one LOL.
Kids kind of took over my gearhead budget

Olds is where my rocket comes from, the two t's are just because of my actual last name. Ive got the Olds rocket on my left arm.
But of course I currently dont even own one LOL.
Kids kind of took over my gearhead budget
Funny how kids do that isn't it LOL .
I do have a 455 olds but it is sitting in a 74 olds 442 the wife's show car sitting in the garage up at my mom's house.

None of the olds motors really lend themselves to what your doing anyhow. I like them more for their insane longevity at moderate power.
There were some serious funny car engines based on the olds blocks but blocks were about it.

None of the olds motors really lend themselves to what your doing anyhow. I like them more for their insane longevity at moderate power.
There were some serious funny car engines based on the olds blocks but blocks were about it.
Yeah John Force started out using a olds block . I really miss talking with him being I no longer have the time or the money to drag race:(
I still take my goat out to the local strip when they have a free for all run day ,

I've just watched russian speaking videos concerning gas powered comps. Found one interesting. Guys made one based on engine with electric start ("Lifan" brand). They connected electric start of the gas engine with compressor pressure switch. Electric start switches for 2 sec. They said the first start should be done manually (for the reason to start "cold" engine) then it works automatically. I like that it's simple solution compared to those comps with an engine without electric start.
It actually works like it would be an electric powered compressor. I can't even believe how simple the solution is, at least it looks this way.
Now I'm charged with an idea:)
@Robbyrockett2 have you seen such at work?

I've just watched russian speaking videos concerning gas powered comps. Found one interesting. Guys made one based on engine with electric start ("Lifan" brand). They connected electric start of the gas engine with compressor pressure switch. Electric start switches for 2 sec. They said the first start should be done manually (for the reason to start "cold" engine) then it works automatically. I like that it's simple solution compared to those comps with an engine without electric start.
It actually works like it would be an electric powered compressor. I can't even believe how simple the solution is, at least it looks this way.
Now I'm charged with an idea:)
@Robbyrockett2 have you seen such at work?
No. Except for on gas golf carts. They work that way, but also had a thermal switch so when you first started one it would run until it hit temperature
After that It start and stop by pressing or releasing the gas pedal. An old gas golf cart would make a pretty cool setup.
It's already got everything needed to start and stop on demand and would be basically silent. You'd just have to wire the thermal circuit to trip on the pressure switch too, just so it wouldn't over compress by accident when you first started it.

Guess for that Lifan setup you would hook the kill switch to the other side of the pressure switch on the compressor.
I could see going through starters and gears on the Lifan often, but the starters and ring gears for them dont cost much.
Still pretty cool Idea.

I don't know if it would be better to just pirate the electric clutch from an old riding mower and have it just clutch in and out.
Or just use a centrifugal clutch and hook a solenoid to the throttle.(probably the easiest possible solution)

But honestly I'l probably just buy a used gas powered compressor if my electric experiment doesnt work out.

No. Except for on gas golf carts. They work that way, but also had a thermal switch so when you first started one it would run until it hit temperature
After that It start and stop by pressing or releasing the gas pedal. An old gas golf cart would make a pretty cool setup.
It's already got everything needed to start and stop on demand and would be basically silent. You'd just have to wire the thermal circuit to trip on the pressure switch too, just so it wouldn't over compress by accident when you first started it.

Guess for that Lifan setup you would hook the kill switch to the other side of the pressure switch on the compressor.
I could see going through starters and gears on the Lifan often, but the starters and ring gears for them dont cost much.
Still pretty cool Idea.

I don't know if it would be better to just pirate the electric clutch from an old riding mower and have it just clutch in and out.
Or just use a centrifugal clutch and hook a solenoid to the throttle.(probably the easiest possible solution)

But honestly I'l probably just buy a used gas powered compressor if my electric experiment doesnt work out.

Good for those, who can get a golf cart. But they don't need to even think about the compressors!:D

I've seen several of DIY ideas for gas powered comps:

straight connection without any pressure switch etc - pump and the engine work all the time, it's no good at all.

centrifugal clutch - seems good, but engine works continuously at the time pump stops (good). I don't know how to lower the engine's RPM here automatically when the tank is full . It's possible, but it seems it requires complicated solutions. I thought about this way of making gas powered one, but today saw that video with electric start engine. I'm impressed, need to think over it.

engine with electric start - I think it's the easiest solution. Both pump and engine stop, it's real good. Here life of the parts become longer and you don't need to burn your gas all the time:) For an easy start (it's very important for gas engine start, I think) we can use the same valve that's used in random comps (that drops down the pressure between the tank and the pump).

Back