House of Kolor Base paints- Other clear coat

A

anyer06dhs

Has anyone every experimented with laying down House of Kolor base coats , but top coating with another automotive two part clear.(PPG,Acme, Dupont.,etc). Can you please advise what brand name you used? I would like to know before buying House of Kolor clear that I might be able to use another clear due to the price and project. I was gonna paint a helmet and was looking for an alternative. Thanks.

*I already have House of Kolor base coats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help with the names of the clear but I have seen hok cleared by all kinds of different clear coats. Someone will be along shortly with more info. Wickedartstudio will absolutely know :)

Josh

You can use any urethane clear on HOK , Now if you are talking about something other than a urethane clear , Than I suggest do a test panel first.

I have use this with no problem..Coast Airbrush Products
As well as PPG and SEM with out problem.

You can use any urethane clear on HOK , Now if you are talking about something other than a urethane clear , Than I suggest do a test panel first

Agreed. I primarily use HOK and PPG. I have intermixed many of their products over the years with no problems. One thing to note though... HOK will not warranty their products if their complete system isn't used throughout.

Oh thank god. You guys scared me for a second thinking I wasn't gonna get any help. Sounds Great. I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

*oh by the way I only meant the two part Urethane clear. You nailed it

As stated above, any 2 pack urethane clear coat will suffice. I've been a qualified automotive spry painter for about 5 years now and can tell you that 6/10 times a shop will use a different clear and basecoat brand with no issue most of the time. That bin said some products for whatever reason (chemical make up or what not) they just don't adhere to eachother but I would assume who ever you buy from will be able to provide you with an answer for the specific product you choose

Back