How about some water color paper and a cat?

S

Squidge

Hey again guys,
I'm hoping I'll get to paint again in a few days. I was at my hobby lobby earlier today and noticed they didn't have any paper designed specifically for airbrushing. I've seen people mention it before on these forums so I thought I'd give it a try. They did have a lot of other kinds of paper like newsprint, sketch paper, and watercolor paper. The watercolor paper felt nice but I wonder if it would be a good match for what I'm trying to paint next.
This is what I'm going to have a go at:
black_cat_5-t2.jpg

As you can see, it's going to need a lot of scratching and erasing to get the textures right. I've tried to erase my comart paints on standard copy paper with my standard pencil eraser but it never does anything. I'm curious as to whether or not I'm using the right paper for the job and if the watercolor paper will work, it looks like it will hold the colors well too.
Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watercolor paper usualy has a lot of texture to it. If you want to use erazor techniques you'll probably want your paper to be as smooth as possible and preferably a bit thicker.

If you can get a hold of it try schoellershammer. They have paper (board) made for airbrushing and I myself won't use anything else anymore :).

Good Job!
Love the eyes. Looks like the furry person who lives at my house around dinner time. Lol!

lol, I haven't painted it yet. I meant that's what I was going to paint when I get a chance

also have a look in there framing section, poster board is pretty smooth and would suit the techniques you are trying to use

I've got some old thin cardboard that has the texture of poster board on one side. I tried erasing a little bit on it this morning and it kind of works. If I scrub and scrub with the eraser, it does make a noticeable line through it, but I don't think I could ever get it to work like the guy in this video:
[video=youtube_share;QkcdRn2E8HA]http://youtu.be/QkcdRn2E8HA[/video]

AT HL look for illustration board or pre gessoed masonite. The masonite may be better for starching than the illustration board. Either will be about the same cost. Like $5-6 for a 16x20.

AT HL look for illustration board or pre gessoed masonite. The masonite may be better for starching than the illustration board. Either will be about the same cost. Like $5-6 for a 16x20.
Thanks wmlepage, I'll pick some up when I get a chance and see how it works for me

In the uk we have something called Bristol board about 250gsm very smooth and also made for airbrush, I tend to use that for practice and Scholerhammer for main projects.
Nice ref pic, with good board you will find that image a lot easier, mask out the eyes and just black for the rest, at less intensity near the eyes and like you say a big of erasing. Have fun :)

I've got some old thin cardboard that has the texture of poster board on one side. I tried erasing a little bit on it this morning and it kind of works. If I scrub and scrub with the eraser, it does make a noticeable line through it, but I don't think I could ever get it to work like the guy in this video:
[video=youtube_share;QkcdRn2E8HA]http://youtu.be/QkcdRn2E8HA[/video]
You should aspire to be like "That Guy" that is Visual Realm....:surprise:

Um, if your planning to scratch into the work, watercolor paper ain't what I wld be using..It will handle erasing fine..The smoother the paper the better it will erase, if it has tooth/texture, don't expect a lot..Also, not sure on what kind of paints you use, but some won't erase at all...Test it out first I wld suggest before you get to far into spending hours doing fur strokes..GL with the project..

In the uk we have something called Bristol board about 250gsm very smooth and also made for airbrush, I tend to use that for practice and Scholerhammer for main projects.
Nice ref pic, with good board you will find that image a lot easier, mask out the eyes and just black for the rest, at less intensity near the eyes and like you say a big of erasing. Have fun :)

We have bristol too Kev. I find other media as better alternatives though. I do have a pad of 175gsm Bristol or it might be thicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey wmlepage, is the material you mentioned a 1/4" hard board with a really smooth surface? I think I found some at Hobby Lobby but I don't want to buy any until I get some more time to practice first. It's cheap but I don't like wasting stuff

Back