How best to cut frisket?

M

Mr. Magoo

I watched two vids on using frisket but neither addressed the issue of how to cut the frisket without cutting into your workpiece. Assuming one uses an Exacto to cut out a rather complex mask, or even a simple one where I'm not in a position to cut the frisket first, then apply it, which is most logical but then I cut into my poster board background which is not acceptible.

The answer is prolly very simple but I just don't see it.

Sorry to say its just down to practice and having a light touch. I used a brand new scaple blade when i done mine. I have also seen individual razor blades used.

Practice, practice and more practice and always a new blade. We were trained to cut paper application tape while it was stuck on normal copier paper. Easy to cut to press too hard then.

Yup, VERY sharp blade, VERY subtle touch and VERY good understanding of your substrate... sorry chief.... If you have a look at my dragon head in March POM there are two lines extending out to the left from the from of the jaw... too hard on the scalpel... I cut around the whole head without damage on the same substrate so it is possible, take your time.

Always use a fresh blade, and pull/drag the blade across the surface rather than cutting into it, let the blade do the work. Don't be tempted to be firmer if it becomes less effective just use a fresh blade.

You should try removing insulation on a live cable! Skill and sweat...
Seriously as people have said its a Skill that takes practice to learn.

Removing the cable insulation is easy... removing it and not getting wired in... now that is tricky!! :) There is a good reason I work with water and not electricity...

I have the same problem lol...My brain says lightly, and my hand says PRESS HARDER!!! lol. I use an exacto knife. Easier to hold VS. A razor blade...because Im a clutz

Figures. As I thought about it, I couldn't conceive of any other way of doing it. Fortunately, i happen to have a 10,000K grit ceramic sharpening stone that will put an even better edge on than a razor blade. Been using the same xacto blade for about five years and there are still 4 left in the pack. Hasn't saved me anything as the ceramic stone was $85. Its main use is for sharpening planer knives, not xacto blades.

Last edited by a moderator:

DC current, no problem; AC current, kill the power or fuggeddaboudit.

Now then, when you take a fresh sheet of frisket and you're only masking a small area, do you cut it out of the whole sheet, or do you cut a small square out of the whole sheet first? I would think that when cutting, you'd want to tape it down securely so that there's zero movement and that cutting out a small piece first would be the best way to go.

I don't use frisket much, but if I do, I use as small a piece as I can, less risk of damaging any previous painting or the surface etc, but mostly cos I'm tight with money and want to make it last longer lol. Have to watch out for overspray though.

Never use an exacto the blade cutting surface is to wide. A lot of old timers use a brand new safety razor blade which requires very little pressure to cut through it.
As with airbrush practice is need to learn the feel of the brand of frisket you use on how it cuts how many cuts you can get from the blade.

I prefer a scalpel, blades are super cheap if you buy in bulk. But I've noticed a lot of folks turning to razor blades.

DC current, no problem; AC current, kill the power or fuggeddaboudit.

Now then, when you take a fresh sheet of frisket and you're only masking a small area, do you cut it out of the whole sheet, or do you cut a small square out of the whole sheet first? I would think that when cutting, you'd want to tape it down securely so that there's zero movement and that cutting out a small piece first would be the best way to go.
I normally mask out the bulk of the area, apply small piece of frisket and tape it down if needed...

11350-1460848508-13a8bd262adf67da51eef8b138f33453.jpg

11349-1460848468-08d1ad6fe1b7d1742f1e69bf738c773a.jpg

Found this at a second hand sale, don't know it real porpus but it take away my resistance about razor blades, --- have not been tested as I need to find a place to buy razor blade. --- I removed the old blade, but it was a standard razor blade

11350-1460848508-13a8bd262adf67da51eef8b138f33453.jpg

11349-1460848468-08d1ad6fe1b7d1742f1e69bf738c773a.jpg

Found this at a second hand sale, don't know it real porpus but it take away my resistance about razor blades, --- have not been tested as I need to find a place to buy razor blade. --- I removed the old blade, but it was a standard razor blade
Amazon is a great place for blades. That particular razor has the posts like what a safety razor has, so you can pick up a packet of 100 blades for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-$25, depending on the brand.

Try the Personna Blue razor blades; I think I paid $12/100, and they're individually wrapped, double sided, ready to go.

Sure, they're meant to cut the hairs on your face, but they'll also cut right through frisket material easier than a new Exacto blade.

(Sorry, one of my other hobbies is old school shaving - my grandfather left me a safety razor and a straight razor when he passed, and it's been SO much cheaper to use that to shave with than expensive Mach 5 blades. I've never looked back!)

The only problem with no.7 blades I've ever had was if it was no name brand ones. My preferred brand is Pro-edge. It also fits more cheaper handles and the tang is just a smidgen narrower than Exacto blades.

Sorry I did not mention that what kept me from using Razor blades, are to hold them with the fingers and the second sharp edge not in focus. That's why I instantly recognized the handle. --- Remind me there are a solution of Iron salts, that will dissolve a Razor blade in a day. I think it is Ferrocloride soluted in water but I am not sure. Anyway having that in a small container, you just drop the old blade in it, and it will be gone in a day or so.
---------- If anyone have a clue about what Iron salt it is, please share. It was sold as a mean to get rid of old blades in a smart way.

Back