For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

How do I clear coat well?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Tutorials' started by Blackktieguy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Blackktieguy

Blackktieguy Young Tutorling

Hey, guys!

The title says it all -- looking for a good guide on airbrush clear coating and also how to get that beautiful shine that I see some clear coats have.

Thank you!
  2. brushit

brushit Triple Actioner

Hi buddy, on helmets i use single pack automotive acrylic clear coat. Thin according to directions. After airbrushing and making sure your surface is 100% clean, apply 2 /3 wet coats.

Leave about 10 or 15 minutes, then do the same again. Wait about 3 days to harden. Then cut back with 1200 wet paper, until you have a flat non shiny surface. Then go over again with 1500 wet and finish with 2000 wet. Then use cut and polish compound and finish with wax polish. Guarantee you will have a mirror finish. Lot of work, but worth the effort. If you`re like me, and don`t have the facilities for 2 pack spraying, this is the way to go mate. Cheers from down under.
  3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Read the spec on the product you choose to use, and stick to the flash times religiously. You need a warm, non humid, dust free safe (ie proper ventilation etc) space. Start with a dust coat, then I like to do a covering coat, and then a flow coat. Overlap each pass by 2/3 to get a good even finish. Then wet sanding, cutting compound, buff and polish to finish.

I notice you said airbrush clearing. You ideally want a fan spray pattern for best results. I recommend a mini hvlp.
    Ricky Spanish likes this.
  4. brushit

brushit Triple Actioner

Yeah as squishy says, you can`t clear coat with an AB. Use a full size gun with a good spray pattern. Also have to take careful notice of the humidity otherwise you will get milkiness in your clear. A real bastard unless you know how to fix it.
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  5. Blackktieguy

Blackktieguy Young Tutorling

Wow, that makes sense. I have experience with HVLP so using it won't be difficult but I need to know of some good mini hvlp considering my current one is way too big for what I do. Also -- any suggested clear coat brands? I hear good things about auto air in general.
  6. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

For clear I just use regular automotive 2k. I like U-pol, don't know if that's available where you are? It lays down great, cures hard, is gas resistant etc, and polishes up like glass.