how do i set up a painting area in a flat

S

SirSpider

I am not sure this is the right area for this question but here goes. I am a raw beginner, got my gear and paint and books and well everything i need to start but i don't have an area set up yet. Here is my main concern, i live in a 1 bedroom flat, no garage so there is no area that isn't a living room space and while i am not concerned with over-spray in front of me, that can be dealt with a spray box and some cardboard i am worried about paint in the air going BEHIND me and landing on my stuff in essence painting my things. Is this a real concern, am i worrying about nothing or is this something that others have had to deal with and what was your solution, none of my books or readings give me a hint that this is an issue but if i need to wear a air filter so i dont sneeze blue later that night then it must but a real issue. So is it a problem with an answer or do i only really need to think about whats in front of me not whats behind me.

I spray in the corner of my hallway, and haven't noticed any dust or alike but then I don't do the cleaning:whistling:

I spray in the corner of my hallway, and haven't noticed any dust or alike but then I don't do the cleaning:whistling:

That's because your wife cleans it all up behind you, you big dumpling:)

@SirSpider your definitely in the wrong section, you should have went to the introduction section first, at least I expect one our very well respected mods to say that;)

Posted this the other day for someone else who has similar probs, these are a really good idea, especially for me as it means I can smoke and paint at the same time without a mask getting in the way, well it would if I had one LOLOL, other varietys are available on ebay at a lesser cost, just search hobby spray booths and you'll find heaps of options..Overspray inside is more of a prob than many realise, not just to health but every electrical component in the house sucks the stuff in, better finding a solution before you have to start worrying about TV's blowing up LOL, it does take awhile though LOL, both below are just examples, would research any seller prior..

https://www.airbrushsupplynetwork.c...d=360&osCsid=ef0479043216fb89ec5bdcdf6279466e

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...Model-Parts-/141270959901?hash=item20e467c71d

Posted this the other day for someone else who has similar probs, these are a really good idea, especially for me as it means I can smoke and paint at the same time without a mask getting in the way, well it would if I had one LOLOL, other varietys are available on ebay at a lesser cost, just search hobby spray booths and you'll find heaps of options..Overspray inside is more of a prob than many realise, not just to health but every electrical component in the house sucks the stuff in, better finding a solution before you have to start worrying about TV's blowing up LOL, it does take awhile though LOL, both below are just examples, would research any seller prior..

https://www.airbrushsupplynetwork.c...d=360&osCsid=ef0479043216fb89ec5bdcdf6279466e

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...Model-Parts-/141270959901?hash=item20e467c71d
Well these things i saw and thought that is good for protecting what is in front of me, but does that help with what is behind me, i mean if i deal with overspray forward does that captures all the paint so none of it floats backwards?

I am not sure this is the right area for this question but here goes. I am a raw beginner, got my gear and paint and books and well everything i need to start but i don't have an area set up yet. Here is my main concern, i live in a 1 bedroom flat, no garage so there is no area that isn't a living room space and while i am not concerned with over-spray in front of me, that can be dealt with a spray box and some cardboard i am worried about paint in the air going BEHIND me and landing on my stuff in essence painting my things. Is this a real concern, am i worrying about nothing or is this something that others have had to deal with and what was your solution, none of my books or readings give me a hint that this is an issue but if i need to wear a air filter so i dont sneeze blue later that night then it must but a real issue. So is it a problem with an answer or do i only really need to think about whats in front of me not whats behind me.
Hi Sir Spider, helps us know a little bit about what you're doing... do you want to spray automotive paints or water based? Are you using a 0.12 mm set up of a 3mm HVLP gun... what part of the world are you in...? We are a curious bunch, can you please head along here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ and introduce yourself proper like... :) Yay, look forward to seeing some more!

Both of those options that Rebel has linked have fans that draw the overspray 'behind' your artwork, so it has no chance of getting to anything behind you. It's not like your spray painting cars at high Psi, the top link claims you can throw away your mask, but I'd wear one anyway. Hard to sue them if you're dead!!

...or set up a vacuum cleaner next to your airbrush area, may get noisy after a bit though, but yer m8, their extraction units designed to extract all those particulates and send em down a tube and out the window so it bothers your neighbor instead ;) LOL..You can home make similar pretty easy with some ducting, a good size computer fan and a filter material, same shiz..Good luck.

I don't think that the computer fan would cut it for the panel extractor... They state 1,000cfm centrifugal fan! I like that one, they're a great size, just don't like the price tag

Cool, thanks for that. Yes, a small extractor should be fine, now we know what you are painting and using we know you don't need a full blown paint shop. It can be done with a bit of thought. Check out some of the model painting stuff on youtube, you'll see some of the systems they have there.

well here is my introduction in the correct area
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/hello-i-am-sirspider-shaun.14009/ . As to RebelAir's point, as a computer guys some of the fans do get close to those speeds but at 1000 cfH rather than cfm but car radiator fans get those speeds and higher so the large panel is DIYable
Thanks for that - we often get single posters here asking questions and while we are happy to help it is tricky when we are asked how long is a piece of sting!! I look forward to seeing some of your work.

how long is a piece of sting!!

Twice half its length :)

(sorry for being a smart arse there but i was told you guys like to have laugh)

I have amazoned two of the model spray booths and started to design up a spray panel as an table top easel for art paper/board but i do need to get a proper air filter mask i have some one use temporary ones for mdf routing purposes

Twice half its length :)

(sorry for being a smart arse there but i was told you guys like to have laugh)

I have amazoned two of the model spray booths and started to design up a spray panel as an table top easel for art paper/board but i do need to get a proper air filter mask i have some one use temporary ones for mdf routing purposes
You learn fast!! If you are spraying water based then a dust filter will be fine, you don't need the heavier filters to take out fumes however they aren't that expensive really. If you do get a better quality cartridge filter, get dust covers for them as well and it will lengthen the life of the filters. Check out some different harness. A 3 strap is the more comfortable.

You learn fast!! If you are spraying water based then a dust filter will be fine, you don't need the heavier filters to take out fumes however they aren't that expensive really. If you do get a better quality cartridge filter, get dust covers for them as well and it will lengthen the life of the filters. Check out some different harness. A 3 strap is the more comfortable.

I have a 3M with chemical grade filters which only cost me around €18 it came with one spare set of filters but I believe the spare filters are only about €7:thumbsup:

I have a 3M with chemical grade filters which only cost me around €18 it came with one spare set of filters but I believe the spare filters are only about €7:thumbsup:
You can't go far wrong with 3m!!

I don't think that the computer fan would cut it for the panel extractor... They state 1,000cfm centrifugal fan! I like that one, they're a great size, just don't like the price tag

Have you seen a 200 mm fan computer fan at full tilt LOL, if its strong enough to coat the insides of my computer with all the overspray dust its strong enough to remove some from actually where ya want and if not...add another LOL..Add enough it could take off LOL

Back