How I come up with a dragon idea.

Squishy

Queen Clown Slayer
I try and keep a sketchbook around to practise drawing, scribble down ideas and try to come up with something original. I find the whole design aspect one of the harderst things to do, but really want to be able to come up with cool fantasy pics. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people who overflows with original ideas, and find staring at a blank page can be intimidating, so I have a way of getting the creative juices flowing.

I get around it by giving myself a base to work from. I basically do a rough sketch of an animal, and then use that to build on. I have used lions and other cats, lizards, giraffes, wolves etc, to try drawing mythical creatures, but a lot of the time, if I want to draw a dragon, I use a horse.

SAM_0149 (960x1280).jpg So I start by quickly roughing out something that vaguely resembles a horse, (as long as you don't compare it with an actual horse) and give it an elongated neck.

SAM_0150 (960x1280).jpg Then the fun begins. I start to change things, here I decided to make the ears and cheek bigger, and started to add features.....

SAM_0151 (960x1280) (2).jpg ....and still more features. Sometimes ideas change as it evolves, if I don't like it, or have a better idea. I did the nose area, but after adding the spike on top, decided it would flow better if I changed it, so this nose is version 2. (I know, I know, not enough pictures)

SAM_0152 (960x1280).jpg I just carry on, until I think I have filled in, or changed all the aspects of the original sketch. And hopefully at the end, I have something that looks completely different to what I started with.

It doesn't always work out, and sometimes the results are laughable, but I find it's a good way to practise. This one didn't turn out too bad. I think if I played with it a bit, and changed the eye area which is looking a little lost, then I could maybe use this as an AB ref sometime.

I have no background in art/training, so don't know if this is a valid method, but it works for me (sometimes Lol), and might help out someone else who gets stuck for inspiration :)

From horse to dragon, hadn't seen that transformer before :tickled_pink:

It's a good method you use there. I'm working on a dragon atm and while doing some research I noticed a lot of these critters were based on real life animals (mostly crocodiles and varaans though... not horses :joyous:)

I have a brilliant kiddies book that has lots of reptiles in, they are great for references for things like scale and horns!

From horse to dragon, hadn't seen that transformer before :tickled_pink:

It's a good method you use there. I'm working on a dragon atm and while doing some research I noticed a lot of these critters were based on real life animals (mostly crocodiles and varaans though... not horses :joyous:)
So excited to see your dragon Haasje. Looking forward to see how a master does it!

This is awesome! I am going to put this to use. The last week I have been attempting to create without reference.... my last painting disaster struck.

Very cool work and nice of you to share how you come up with the nice dragons you have come to be known by.

Just a thought for you, have a look at some Sea-horse pics and also some reptile and bat photo's, as well.
Good starting points in all of 'em, but I really like the process you have created.
As for the fantasy bits,{Backgrounds?} there are heaps of ideas in regional geography pics [that's landscapes, for the rest of us!] such as deserts, ice floes and the like.
Also, what about some of those killer spacescapes you see 'em doing on you-tube? Gotta be something in there for you.
All good for some inspiration, I think.
Splasha

Thanks you guys :) I always like to see other peoples thought process, so wondered if mine might help someone out, though it's probably a bit unconventional to anyone who knows what they're doing Lol.

Just a thought for you, have a look at some Sea-horse pics and also some reptile and bat photo's, as well.
Good starting points in all of 'em, but I really like the process you have created.
As for the fantasy bits,{Backgrounds?} there are heaps of ideas in regional geography pics [that's landscapes, for the rest of us!] such as deserts, ice floes and the like.
Also, what about some of those killer spacescapes you see 'em doing on you-tube? Gotta be something in there for you.
All good for some inspiration, I think.
Splasha

Thanks Splasha, backgrounds are something I am planning on working on, so I will def be scouring images for cool refs I can adapt, or use ideas from. :)

Well I knew it... I knew there was someone else out there that saw the basic horse head had a lot in common with most dragons!! I use the same method pretty much. Back when I was a teen I used to go by the method Lee J Ames (or is it Ames j Lee) in his popular "Draw 50" books. I quickly noticed he seemed to do the same thing and it stuck ever since.
Now ... if I could learn to get past my own brain to get detailed with the scales and such. I have a tendency to leave it open to interpretation of the viewer to decide on what that's going to look like in their imagination. Which is another reason why I don't do well with color drawings and paintings. Always had the mindset that it was best for the viewer to fill in the blanks. Still working on that, gets hard though when I try to color things in and know it looks like garbage and trash it.

Great minds think alike mrsuthern Lol. Will have to check out this Lee J Ames?Ames J Lee fella, he seems on my wavelength lol. I have trashed quite a few drawings too lol, some of them turn out just ridiculous, but I don't mind it's all practice. I love to look at concept art for things like Lord of the Rings, and other fantasy films, and even things like Disney etc, and some of their original ideas don't always come together either, so I just tell myself (denial is a happy place to be LOL) it's all part of the process.

Two shows I was really infatuated with was "Face Off" and " Jim Henson's Creature Shop", the creativity was simply fantastic!

I love Face off, but have never seen Creature Shop (don't think we get it here) but will look for it online, love anything Henson!

Thanks squishy - I like the idea

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

This is great information Squish. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who need some insight as to how to go about coming up with their own original works. Personally, I use Photoshop and reference pics to plan out my projects. Then using my Wacom tablet I draw over them on another layer (like a sheet of tracing paper, but on the computer) to come up with completely original drawings. Doing this on the computer allows me to resize any of my drawings for the particular project I'm going to do. There is nothing more satisfying than completing something that is your own.

Back