How is this done??

IPT

Detail Decepticon!
Okay, so the guy (Fitto) has amazing talent and an unreal understanding of light and shape. That being said, I am pondering how he did this (see pic) with regards to the paint itself.

It looks like a pearl base, or candied over metallic because I think I can see some sparkle (but I could be wrong). If it were, am I wrong in thinking he'd only be able to use a transparent black (or maybe dark green) to create the depth? You couldn't use an opaque white and then tint it with candies because you'd lose the pearlesence under the opaque. Do his highlights just seem like highlights because he spared them using the darker color around them? Anyone take his course or know how he achieves this particular style?? it's very intriguing to me.

I know Cross eyed did an orange bike with a similar look. That was for sure candied with black but it seemed to lack the depth this has.

fitto.jpg

It sure is a fascinating work!
I'm only guessing, but to me it looks like a transparent lime candy over a yellow base.
You would then use a complimentary colour for the detail works and lines.
What really makes this pop is the highlights! Man, are they awesome or what?
They are perfectly positioned so as to draw the eye in and hold it there. Just Beautiful stuff.

I think it is metalic silver base. Reduced black for the artwork and white for the highlights. Green candy over that and then came in with white again for the super white parts and then clear.

The above cover it I think. This is used a lot in custom paint. A candy will only affect everything that is lighter than it self (not 100% true but with dark colors it won't noticably affect it's grey scale), so when you put green on a silver background with a black picture the silver will turn green while the black stay's black.

the white has to be added after the candy as that being lighter than green would also turn green when the candy is applied. Note that a candy has a propperty called "bleeding". This means it reacivates after clear is applied so the white here would still turn green unless a layer of clear was applied before the white was done (another trick is using water based white, as that isn't solvent based it's not subject to bleeding).

Another option here by the way would be that that green is some base pearl and the other stuff is just painted on top of it (that being the simple option it would be the way I'd go about it :p)

Basicly there are serveral way's to achive this, the only way to know for sure what colors where used in which order is contacting Mr Fitto I think (he looks scarry but is realy a nice guy :) )

Allot of ways to skin a cat here limetime pearl HOK do the art in reduced out black and white use candy to match or knock it back where need be.

See, the silver metallic base and white would make sense but I'm not sure that's it. No way you would get the exact same hue of green using candy over silver and match that color with the same candy over the white. Plus the white blocks the metallic/pearl and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm wondering if it was just a regular green base and then the white/black with candies over that. Then maybe some pearl in the top coats of candy or clear? Or the metallic/candy base and just shades of black?

Hey does look scary, but I have read he's a really nice guy. He taught at the Dru Blair school in 2014 I think but as far I know he doesn't speak English :). I think he had an interpreter when presenting the course! He is a master of the art for sure.

Im pretty certain it is green over a gold or yellow base. And i dont even think its candy.
But there is no doubt he used white highlights in places after zooming in.

Im pretty certain it is green over a gold or yellow base. And i dont even think its candy.
But there is no doubt he used white highlights in places after zooming in.

Hm, I lean toward thinking that is more then likely what he did. If not candy ypu just think it was a transparent? Using the base color he could easily tint that to get the highlight and shadow colors maintaining perfect color continuity :).

I think its gold metallic.base (you can see some of it in the background)
Basic shading of black
Green trans over that
Redarkening of.black
A few white highlights.
Although it could be a candy green before any black shading.

The reason i tilt towards trans overlay is there is some slight muddying going on in places of the shading

There is clearly obvious freehand darkening of lines over the top
And the white highlights show a few blow outs and a few shaky spots.

This is not his best work. Not that it is bad but the guy is insanely good.

So, I don't know if this is exactly the same technique or not, but my guess is he'd use a tried and tested technique often once it was established. Maybe it's (the original one) just an opaque base then white with transparents/candies overlaid? It sure does look metallic in nature and i for sure could see there being gold in the base.

I am surprised there is such a continuity of color with these. If you have a base, then add white over it, then candy over both areas, how could the areas with white base be soooo close in tone and hue to the original base? Maybe I just don't have the painting experience to know that's how it can work.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I would agree that a gold base was laid down; art work then candy and finally highlights, if you zoom in on the artwork there isn't much if any "sparkle" in it the gold flake was covered over with white and darks .

Back