How many airbrush guns?

K

kelliesean

How many airbrush guns do all typically like to have on hand? Does anyone work with just one and switch the colors through it?
Or do people typically have a few guns? Hmm

I'm novice and only have one , but if I would have the money I buy

1 small pistol
1 single action for coating and base
1 regular for larger areas (.5 mm)
1 for details

Hello kelliesean, here's whats in my arsenal: Badger Krome (Go To brush), Badger Custom Velocity, Badger 360, Badger Patriot 105, Badger 150 (Anitque restored, dont use), Iwata Custom Micron CM-C, Iwata HP-C+, Paasche VL (2 each, just got with some other stuff, haven't used yet, thought I would let my boys learn with these) and depending on the job Im doing, I may be using up to 5 of them at a time, all set up with different colors, but 80% of the time Im running 2-3 brushes. Usually my Krome for my detail brush, my Velocity for my medium detail and my Patriot 105 for larger coverage cause that things a fire hose. Every artist will be different though, you really just gotta do what works best for you. I like using several when using lots of different colors as it saves time, but the con to that is that you have more to clean up when youre done, lol. Good luck in your journey

Hi Kelliesean,
I have a few airbrushes 0.2mm for detail and 0.3mm as a workhorse.
I would also like a 0.5 or 0.6mm for basecoats and varnishing but for now I use the 0.3mm.

My favourite airbrushes are Iwata side-feeds. I prefer to use one airbrush and many plastic cups with different colours in. I use a colour, take it out, do a cleaning flush, take that out and then put in a new colour etc. I prefer this method when I have to premix colours because I can mix them in the cups before hand, change them easily when I'm painting and I can take them out without loosing any paint and once I'm finished I can cover the holes and the paint will keep for over a week or so.

Here's a picture of the plastic cups and the metal conversion section which is needed to fit the cups into the Iwata opening.

Iwata HP-SBS with Plastic Conversion Cups 400dpi.jpg

This way I only have one airbrush and a few empty cups to clean.

I might use a different airbrush if I want to do white highlights or a light colour and want to make sure the colour is pure.

If I use paints straight from the bottle like Com-Art I might use my gravity feed airbrush or the original metal cup of my side-feed and flush the cup after each colour as I would only put in a few drops of paint at a time and can easily refill the cup from the paint bottle if I run out.
Cheers Mel

Thanks you guys for giving me so much detailed information! Much appreciated!! :)

I have an Iwata hp-cs, I would like a detail gun too.....one day, when I win the lotto!

Waiting to see how @seamonkey answers this one....LOL
Popcorn is in hand :)

Indeed!, if seamonkey lists all his brushes again we may have to upgrade to a bigger server

Waiting to see how @seamonkey answers this one....LOL
Popcorn is in hand :)

Well I'm glad you have your popcorn ready, lol!!

Well to answer the question of the thread, I have 14 brushes........ Don't know why, lol!!
2 dagr's (which I'm about to put up for sale, just never use them)
3 IWATA's
3 Sata's
5 badgers
1 infinity 2in1..... And a partridge in a pear tree.

My thinking was the same as yours at first that I could have every color waiting to be used!! But I'm not a T-shirt artist and I'm slow. I usually have 2 ready to go but that's about it. I will be cleaning house real soon for 2 reasons...
#1 because I don't need all of them an someone else could use them instead of sitting in their box, and reason number #2 reason is.......
I have my eye on another brush, lmao!!!

Even Yoda had to train to be a Jedi........ I'm just better looking ;)

Seamonkey.. Now I'm curious what you typically paint using airbrush :)

Kelliesean, pretty much anything that's in front of him at the time, lol!!!!

I tend to use the top 1 or 2 brushes at a time. I do have about 15 though "cringe" and i will still get an Iwata CM-SB to finish the collection off, although I will be giving some of the brushes to my mate when he is sorted with some painting space. ;)

Iwata HP-B+ 0.2
DeVilbiss Super 63A 0.12
RichPen 213c - Mike Learn Mojo 0.2
Richpen 113c 0.3
Paasche Talon 0.36 + 0.25
Badger Sotar 20/20 x 2 0.21
HP-2000 side feed 0.3
Chinese Iwata Highline Knock off x2 0.2
Chinese Iwata C Knock off 0.3
Chinese Iwata B Knock off x2 0.3 - 0.4
Aztek 3000 x 2 Multi heads fine - 0.8

Some of us can resist a bargain :)

Lee

Well I'm glad you have your popcorn ready, lol!!

Well to answer the question of the thread, I have 14 brushes........ Don't know why, lol!!
2 dagr's (which I'm about to put up for sale, just never use them)
3 IWATA's
3 Sata's
5 badgers
1 infinity 2in1..... And a partridge in a pear tree.

My thinking was the same as yours at first that I could have every color waiting to be used!! But I'm not a T-shirt artist and I'm slow. I usually have 2 ready to go but that's about it. I will be cleaning house real soon for 2 reasons...
#1 because I don't need all of them an someone else could use them instead of sitting in their box, and reason number #2 reason is.......
I have my eye on another brush, lmao!!!

HAHA Not just me then SM. I want the CM-SB so if i get rid of half a dozen ;) you get my drift....
Lee

Last edited:
Seamonkey.. Now I'm curious what you typically paint using airbrush :)
I only like to paint things that have money that gets handed to me when done, but really Russ hit the nail on the head :)

Kelliesean, pretty much anything that's in front of him at the time, lol!!!!
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! You know me all to well ;)

His kids still don't enjoy holding still that long. The electric eraser always gives em injun burns too! LOL
The injun burns are not my fault, the kids say it tickles at first so I keep going, lol!!!

HAHA Not just me then SM. I want the CM-SB so if i get rid of half a dozen ;) you get my drift....[/B]Lee

That is the one my eye is on, or the Hp-TH!!!

Even Yoda had to train to be a Jedi........ I'm just better looking ;)

i´ve got an infinty 2 in one,a talon 2 in 1,and chinese that is dead right now.but i have the plan to buy some mojo 3 spare parts to convert my talon in an extra detail gun,and a hiline iwata,and a paasche turbo.the hi line is for working with urethanes and the turbo for the smallest details in paper.so my interst is to have some guns extra for different jobs.:friendly_wink:

all of these are because i had an accident and the tip from the infinty had a small accident and the talon had a trumpet tip,so also is good to have an spare gun for just in case an accident happens and a job at hand.

Back