Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

Ttxela

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Just curious, I see posts from folks on here with impressive collections but apart from the cheap eBay one I bought initially I've never felt the need to move on from my HP-CS, or felt my talent ever got close to matching it's capabilities.

I get that some folk are collectors but are there any advantages to having multiple brushes?

Hello,

Did my wife send you to find out?
Although this forum has global reach and is legally bound by cyber-law and international laws, I am physically and legally located in the United States of America. By been under the federal jurisdiction of the US constitution I reserve the right to plead the fifth amendment of the US constitution.
For someone facing criminal charges, pleading the Fifth means exercising their right to remain silent and not incriminate themselves.
I am by no means going to incriminate myself and reveal that I use only 1 airbrush but have more than 25 and growing.
Neither I will reveal I was incited to start this path by 2Diverse and it is all his fault, followed by many other characters around here.
lol lol lol

I only had ONE single time in my 30+ years airbrushing where I used 2 at the same time, one with blue paint and one with white paint, working on a fade paint job. But the truth is for my application, I am just one short step above spray cans. So for me it is more about researching, restoring and collecting than actual need in use.

Thanks,
Ismael

I have made a significant effort to NOT count. If I know the number, I may have to admit that I do indeed have a problem. I would rather continue to live in denial.

I can make an argument for both sides - having one brush, or having maybe a few. A large C cup brush is great, but if doing a lot of small detail in varying tones or colors, an A cup can be just the ticket. Large coverage areas can require a larger nozzle size than illustrating every feather on an Eagles head, etc... If one brush covers both ends of the spectrum for you, then that is all that is required.

favourates in order of use:

sotar 20/20 slim badger (favourate)
sotar 20/20 badger
xtreme patriot badger (favourate)
xtreme arrow badger
krome badger
krome badger
xtech 100 sagola
xtech 200 sagola

devilbliss areograph sprite - (unworking retro airbrush i want to repair at some point)

then theres about "5 ebay specials" sat in a draw. i didn't count those in the poll as i never use them.

I have the 20/20 slim, Krome and a patriot arrow but would like to get hold of a xtreme arrow, I do prefer the smaller cups :)

Reactions: bex
I have the 20/20 slim, Krome and a patriot arrow but would like to get hold of a xtreme arrow, I do prefer the smaller cups :)
the arrow was my newest buy, its pretty much the exact same as the xtreme patriot if you like that brush you'll like the arrow - but like you said has a smaller cup - which is really useful when working on slightly smaller projects.

The sotar slim is an amazing brush and i know airbrush brands are personal preference but i don't think people give it enough credit. it can do amazing tiny detail and yet you can replace the needle and nossel if you damage them for under Ā£20.

I've got over 30 now, ranging from Micron Takumi and Creos PS-771 down to cheap chinese ( mostly upgraded with Creos spray heads). I do like the Creos range based on quality/value for money and have 6 of various types. Still got my second airbrush , a Badger 200 and an old Aztec tuccked in the nostalgia draw.

its been that way for a long time and I have no urge to by more at the moment.
mostly Iwata's. most variants like the eclipse, High Performance & Microns a combination of gravity, side feed and one siphon

The variety serves all my needs, from super fine .18 needles to the .08 TH brush

I also received a couple of vintage brushes from a good friend

I made the error of searching google for ā€œairbrush forumā€ instead of ā€œairbrush painting forumā€. When I joined i had one brush. And i used to paint sometimes.

Now, I have many more than one brush. And never paint. Question is, am I supposed to count only the ones in my possession or also include the ones currently being shipped to me?

At the moment there are 28, plus a couple of mini hvlp guns. The majority are Japanese (Iwata, Olympos and Richpen), but there are also a couple of badgers, some cheap Chinese and representing Europe there is an infinity.

If I count them all including the airbrushes I never use and regard as "mistakes" I have 7 airbrushes 5 iwata ,1 creos and a vengda pistolgrip airbrush ( I only use this one for a fast 1 colour background)
I did have a grex xn but that one lasted about 4 weeks and a paasche talon that lasted 2 weeks before splitting the nozzles and I never bother to replace those nozzles as I never liked those airbrushes
I have 2 Iwata's I never use : a sidefeed eclipse and a revolution
my number one airbrush is the cm SB and the HP SB+ is a great backup airbrush

Just curious, I see posts from folks on here with impressive collections but apart from the cheap eBay one I bought initially I've never felt the need to move on from my HP-CS, or felt my talent ever got close to matching it's capabilities.

I get that some folk are collectors but are there any advantages to having multiple brushes?
I have 15 and 1 on the way. Are there advantages? Yes. They include but not limited to, the big a$$ smile on my face

At the beginning of last year I had 2ā€¦ now I have just over 15, with 1 more on the way. A lot of them are vintage Paascheā€™s and T&Cā€™s, with my new daily being a 30s paasche MS, predecessor to the more modern V. Coming from larger airbrushes, it feels so nice to hold and control, almost like holding a pen in your hand. Iā€™m finding it harder and harder to go back to my newer brushes, feels like holding a fire hose compared to the MS.

I stick to H&S airbrushes just so that I limit how far the obsession can spiral to be honest. Currently have four, and looking at getting the new Infinity when it launches and eventually the new Grafo that I have heard rumors of development when it hits the market. I know that there are tons of great brands and styles out there. I stick with H&S simply because its what I enjoy, and staying with just one brand is easier on the wallet for sure.

Back