How many airbrushes do you need

simso

Young Tutorling
Hey folks,

Definetly a newbie to air brushing.

I was doing some air brushing today from a tutorial from air sick tutorials, what I found , I was for ever washing out my one gun, to spray another colour and then wash it again to spray another. wasted a lot of paint and a lot of time cleaning.

Do people use multiple air brush guns or just the one

Thanks

Steve

Hey folks,

Definetly a newbie to air brushing.

I was doing some air brushing today from a tutorial from air sick tutorials, what I found , I was for ever washing out my one gun, to spray another colour and then wash it again to spray another. wasted a lot of paint and a lot of time cleaning.

Do people use multiple air brush guns or just the one

Thanks

Steve

Cleaning out an airbrush is in fact time well spent since not doing so could be disastrous where your work (and equipment) is concerned, so any time spent cleaning is certainly not wasted, I gather you would like to able to paint continuously without having to clean at all, I would recommend hairy brushes and a jar of water in that case, your question has come up before phrased exactly the same way, and generally most would want a maximum of three brushes, one fine detail, one for quick shading and filling and maybe an HVLP for clearing/varnishing.

If you can afford it you could buy one brush for every colour you intend to use, although you could also buy a bottom fed brush and several jars to contain all your colours and simply change the jars as you go, spraying onto a piece of scrap between colours is enough to get you ready for the next colour.

You shouldn't have to completely clean out out your brush between colours, a simple flush through with water should be enough assuming of course your using water based paints, you will also waste a lot less paint if you put less in to start with, If I use a lot of colours I will usually only use a couple of drops at a time rather than filling the cup to the top, you would still have waste but it would be minimal, I also only flush when there is a huge difference in the colour i.e. from black to white and back again if I was going from white to yellow to red I wouldn't bother at all other than just spray out the colour that's in the brush at the time, this is probably not acceptable behaviour but it works for me and I have no problems with it, everybody is different and have different requirement as well as having different preferences in regards to the work they do so there is no correct answer and no wrong answer to your question, it's your stuff and your rules;)

A bottom feeding brush is interesting, Ill look into that one,

I have a paint booth for painting guitars and musical instruments, so have plenty of mini and full size spray guns, but only one air brush.

When playing today, I just found it frustrating, having to wash and clean out between the colours, then I watched some youtube videos and the time between colours was seconds, so thought maybe it was a standard to have a few air brushes set ready to go.

The air brush I have is a devilbiss dagr, so dont really know if thats good or not, just what was sold to me years ago from our paint and gun supplier

Steve

A bottom feeding brush is interesting, Ill look into that one,

I have a paint booth for painting guitars and musical instruments, so have plenty of mini and full size spray guns, but only one air brush.

When playing today, I just found it frustrating, having to wash and clean out between the colours, then I watched some youtube videos and the time between colours was seconds, so thought maybe it was a standard to have a few air brushes set ready to go.

The air brush I have is a devilbiss dagr, so dont really know if thats good or not, just what was sold to me years ago from our paint and gun supplier

Steve

As far as I know your dagr is a good brush but I don't if its suited for everything you may want to do, but generally you want, if you can afford it, three brushes with different size nozzles ranging form 0.2 to 0.5 or 0.6 but again this depends on what your doing, for example guys who do t-shirt at the mall or on the beach have a load of 0.5 bottom feeders on the go to induce speed, if your dong guitars an din particular custom work, you will want to base coat, apply some detail and then clear which means you need a completely different set up than the guy on the beach, I have 2 0.2 Iwatas and a o.8 cheapy HVLP which is all I need because I only do small paintings up to A3 size, I don't do any custom work or spray whole cars and such, so as I said the correct set up for you will depend entirely on what you wish to do.

Not sure if this helps but I find it saves me heaps of time - 500ml squirty bottle with a long nozzle, empty jar, spray direct into the cup on the brush tip out paint spray the water through and da da we are ready to go again takes about 15 seconds and keeps my brush clean :)

Yes having multiple airbrushes going at once is the only way to go unless you only paint in one color lol! Quick little pic of my set up. Have 7 brushes on main rack and one more up top plus have 3 more coming in the mail, holy moly haha! I had 2 eclipses I used for the longest time and was fine. Then once I got into more shading I'd have 3 different colors off the same original shade color so my brush collection just grew. Now it's just a matter of preference since There's some that are my go to brushes that I just love to use. I use only Iwatas because that's what I started with and am not a man of change lol! Good luck and have fun trying new brushes man, that's what it's all about!

Attachments

• 20150712_085756_resized.jpg
    20150712_085756_resized.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 31
You just need one, want is a different story. Cleanouts between colors gets easier as you learn. Takes me less than 30 seconds between colors.
I do all my work with one brush most of the time. But i am very rarely ever using stencils.

When i started i thought wow they should call tis how to clean your airbrush. As i got smarter with how i mixed my paint it became much easier. First off always put your reducer in first, this prevents thick paint from settling in the bottom and being a pita to clean out.

I envy you having a spray booth!

Yup there's no question about it you can just use one but when your working a cycle mural and have a deadline that's where the multiple brushes is invaluable. Read on a fb group where all these guys will not even clean out their brushes, just use a little piece of tape and cover the cap vent hole. Some go 2 weeks leaving paint in the cup. My luck paint would dry in the tip and would be spending tons on new nozzles. I've taped it off if I'm doing an all day painting session but that's about as far as I would go.

I have too many AB's but might use 2 when i'm painting.. Personal preference really.

Lee

I normally work with one but a minimum of two is handy so that we don't get caught out if one breaks and we always have a back-up:)

Yup there's no question about it you can just use one but when your working a cycle mural and have a deadline that's where the multiple brushes is invaluable. Read on a fb group where all these guys will not even clean out their brushes, just use a little piece of tape and cover the cap vent hole. Some go 2 weeks leaving paint in the cup. My luck paint would dry in the tip and would be spending tons on new nozzles. I've taped it off if I'm doing an all day painting session but that's about as far as I would go.

Keep trying to justify your hoarding problem. We're on to you. ;)

I saw a guy on fb saying that but damn that is scary. If im doing helmets, ill usually have 2 going. But that depends. If im using white, ill have one brush for white only.

You did forget to say that most bike painters that do that are using urethane and not water based.
But the real reason for having more then one airbrush (more then one of each too) is because if you are on a dead line and you only brush breaks and you have to order one you can miss your dead line costing you even more money .
You can never have enough toys to play with just ask Jeff :D

I saw a guy on fb saying that but damn that is scary. If im doing helmets, ill usually have 2 going. But that depends. If im using white, ill have one brush for white only.
With water base you will just have a nice hard piece of water color paint ti pry out .

Didn't read if it was for uros only but that's the only paint I'd dare tape up and let sit for sure. I have my CH as my designated white airbrush and most of the time will have my other CH as my super dark then usually only 2 others going. It is nice though if I'm doing a piece and I have about 5 or 6 different colors to use, I have the option to load and go and can bang it out without stopping, just the way I like to roll lol! That's the cool thing about forums, everybody has their own little system of what works and what doesn't and nobody's to judge. Still fun learning a faster or better way of doing things. You know what they say Jeff, more space means more stuff to buy, and I still have a lot of room in my shop lol!!

Didn't read if it was for uros only but that's the only paint I'd dare tape up and let sit for sure. I have my CH as my designated white airbrush and most of the time will have my other CH as my super dark then usually only 2 others going. It is nice though if I'm doing a piece and I have about 5 or 6 different colors to use, I have the option to load and go and can bang it out without stopping, just the way I like to roll lol! That's the cool thing about forums, everybody has their own little system of what works and what doesn't and nobody's to judge. Still fun learning a faster or better way of doing things. You know what they say Jeff, more space means more stuff to buy, and I still have a lot of room in my shop lol!!
Your shop is So many wall so Little art on them ... Get to painting...LOL

Thanks folks

I may buy a second one, but Ill probably buy a siphon feed rather than a second gravity fed unit

Steve

Back