How much paint and what type to use...

M

Mohus

Hello,

I am trying to cover about 300 feet of area on a few white retail displays. It is a base white color that I want to paint the bottom front of each display with a spray gun. I was interested in the water based semi opaque or transparent colors. Is there a cheap but still good quality water based paint you can recommend for me to use and also, how much will I need to purchase? I have not decided on the color so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Here is a pic of the area I want to spray paint with HV spray gun and air compressor. I will just be covering the bottom of the displays which is total is 300+ feet.

Attachments

• 2CDB89D2-9892-4B92-B0C6-93C9B04B016F.jpg
    2CDB89D2-9892-4B92-B0C6-93C9B04B016F.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 29
if you want cheap you can use standard house interior paint reduced with water through a 1.5 or above spray gun.
As far as how long it will hold up will depends on the usage of the area.

if you want cheap you can use standard house interior paint reduced with water through a 1.5 or above spray gun.
As far as how long it will hold up will depends on the usage of the area.
Here is the HVLP spray gun. And what if I wanted a better quality paint then interior paint? Can you recommend?

Attachments

• 1B863BBD-1F42-446A-A730-4DE21BF14FDA.JPEG
    1B863BBD-1F42-446A-A730-4DE21BF14FDA.JPEG
    285.1 KB · Views: 12
Here is the HVLP spray gun. And what if I wanted a better quality paint then interior paint? Can you recommend?
So a couple of things... as we have no idea who you are or where you live, we can't make any recommendations. It is polite and normal to do an introduction when you are new to a forum, how about going along here and doing that. Then we may be able to help better. My recommendation is get to your local paint store and talk to them. Most of us don't deal in house paints, they don't work through our airbrushes. We can talk about airbrush paints till the cows come home.

I look forward to meeting you in the intro section. https://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Welcome dragon.jpg

So a couple of things... as we have no idea who you are or where you live, we can't make any recommendations. It is polite and normal to do an introduction when you are new to a forum, how about going along here and doing that. Then we may be able to help better. My recommendation is get to your local paint store and talk to them. Most of us don't deal in house paints, they don't work through our airbrushes. We can talk about airbrush paints till the cows come home.

I look forward to meeting you in the intro section. https://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

View attachment 58781
I have posted an introduction.
Thank you

View attachment 58781

View attachment 58781
I use a senco pc101n 1 g air compressor and a hvlp 20oz gravity feed spray gun, and Im based in Texas

I would say no to just 4 oz to cover it as it might take a few coats to get the color where you like it, And are you painting the whole bottom panels or just the lower part of the lower panals? I would say at least 8 oz with twice that in reducer to do the whole panals

5 quarts, interior or exterior enamel house paint. Reduced with water or better yet washer fluid , 3:1 P:R.

Enamel will hold up as well as the substrate, gloss or semigloss will clean easiest.

And there's no way in hell a pc1010n will run that gun.

3 quarts if you can get away with a single coat, which will just depend on how much they soak up.

If you don't have a good reason to buy a much larger compressor I'd opt for a Wagner power painter plus and skip reducing the paint.

Oh and, I'm not sure why it has to be water based but the enamels will be heavy on ammonia and still require an organic vapor respirator and goggles for spraying.

If fumes are the issue your best bet I'd say would be to go with spraying an exterior house paint or to go with rust oleum but get a roller from a marine supply store with like 1/8 or 1/16th inch foam knap and roll on the rust oleum in two or three light coats, if your surface is smooth, this will look sprayed.

If you go that route, thin it a little and throw in some majic accelerator and it might as well be marine paint.

Last edited:
I would say no to just 4 oz to cover it as it might take a few coats to get the color where you like it, And are you painting the whole bottom panels or just the lower part of the lower panals? I would say at least 8 oz with twice that in reducer to do the whole panals
I want to just do the front bottom panels and tape off the trim.

5 quarts, interior or exterior enamel house paint. Reduced with water or better yet washer fluid , 3:1 P:R.

Enamel will hold up as well as the substrate, gloss or semigloss will clean easiest.

And there's no way in hell a pc1010n will run that gun.
That is what I assumed about the senco AC...thanks!

Oh and, I'm not sure why it has to be water based but the enamels will be heavy on ammonia and still require an organic vapor respirator and goggles for spraying.

If fumes are the issue your best bet I'd say would be to go with spraying an exterior house paint or to go with rust oleum but get a roller from a marine supply store with like 1/8 or 1/16th inch foam knap and roll on the rust oleum in two or three light coats, if your surface is smooth, this will look sprayed.

If you go that route, thin it a little and throw in some majic accelerator and it might as well be marine paint.

I like the ideas....rustoleum ext. paint and a little distilled water to thin, maybe I will add this accelerator you mentioned and a 1/8 inch foam nap from a marine supply store.

I like the ideas....rustoleum ext. paint and a little distilled water to thin, maybe I will add this accelerator you mentioned and a 1/8 inch foam nap from a marine supply store.
It'll be acetone to thin the rust oleum, only about 10 percent. Majic hardener you can get at tractor supply , assuming you're in the US.
Won't be waterbased that way but if you aren't spraying I'm guessing it matters less

It'll be acetone to thin the rust oleum, only about 10 percent. Majic hardener you can get at tractor supply , assuming you're in the US.
Won't be waterbased that way but if you aren't spraying I'm guessing it matters less
Got it! Yes, based in Texas lol. I will update soon, I
So I got 2 quarts of the rustoleum topside marine coat oil based enamel paint. I am rolling with the foam roller you suggested...there was no nap stated but it looks like 1/4 nap. So if i'm rolling I should still thin with no more 10% acetone and add 1/16 part of the Majic catalyst hardener?

Back