How to achieve photochromatic/holographic type effects

C

Cashius

Hello All,

I have been trying for some time to achieve the "photochromatic/holographic" effect as shown in the attached photos for a hockey goaltender mask I am attemtping to paint for myself. I am a beginner and I would like to try incorporate this effect into my mask with a repeating star and maple leaf design over the entire mask that is ghosted like the photos as a base layer. As the light interacts with the different portions of the mask it reveals the hidden grid design layer underneath.

I have been practicing so as not to "ruin" my very expensive mask but have had no luck. Just thought someone might be able to give me some tips. Thanks.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 63
  • sample 2.jpg
    sample 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 60
  • sample 3.jpg
    sample 3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 62
The "photochromatic/holographic" effect in which light interacts with to reveal the hidden design is done with pearls. Start with a bright metallic base and then mask off your repeating star and maple leaf design. Mix whatever color dry pearl with an intercoat clear... Experiment with this ratio prior to painting your expensive mask, if too much pearl is added the design will be visible at all times rather than the ghosted appearance you seek. Spray 1 or 2 very light coats. Too many coats, or too heavy coverage, will yield the same results as mixing too much pearl in the paint. Peel the mask, cover with the candy color of your choice and clear it...

The "photochromatic/holographic" effect in which light interacts with to reveal the hidden design is done with pearls. Start with a bright metallic base and then mask off your repeating star and maple leaf design. Mix whatever color dry pearl with an intercoat clear... Experiment with this ratio prior to painting your expensive mask, if too much pearl is added the design will be visible at all times rather than the ghosted appearance you seek. Spray 1 or 2 very light coats. Too many coats, or too heavy coverage, will yield the same results as mixing too much pearl in the paint. Peel the mask, cover with the candy color of your choice and clear it...

Thank you so much, I will give this a shot!

I really like that idea. Good luck with the mask mate. Make sure you put up some pictures of the work in progress.

Back