How to Airbrush a Space Scene!

Not bad for a 'half arsed' attempt..ha ha, good on ya mate you made that look very easy as normal. It was nice to see you using one of the reference pics I posted to, again a great little vid thanks mate.

Very cool tutorial as always :) and i agree with Cordyk, you really made it look easy lol.
Think im going to have a try at the space scene soon :)

I know Mitch said its not the most exciting thing to paint, depends what's floats your boat really, but I think a space scene is a good exercise for a beginner as its not to difficult to achieve a half decent pic, and it will boost your confidence in your abilities and give you that 'hey I did that' feeling.

Yes i agree with you Cordyk. A space scene was the first airbrush pic i ever done and i had lots of fun doing it. I still like doing stuff like that specialy cause you can go wild with different colors and blend them together.
And like you said its not so hard as lots of other stuff to do and in the end you have a good looking space pic and you are proud about what you done :)

I think something like this would be a great way to practice with new paints, and different mixing ratios. You could see how the paints worked before going on to something more complex, and involved. They look like they would be a lot of fun to create. I can hear Bob Ross now, "It's your universe and you can put the planets wherever you want. I think I'll paint a happy little nebula right here."

Lol about the Bob Ross comment Perseus :) I always watchedhis Joy of Painting show and he was the reason why i started painting back then.
I had all the Bob Ross equipment like brushes and the colors, made alot of cool landscape paintings that way.

Yo mitch slow down man i`m still on "THE EYE" lol .Only joking mitch thanx again for another great tutorial .

Yeah, Stranger, Joy of Painting was a big thing in my house. Funny thing was, none of us were into painting at the time, we just enjoyed watching him paint.

Fantastic tut Mitch, I can see people painting this on walls in their kids bedrooms....or even their own :)

I know Mitch said its not the most exciting thing to paint, depends what's floats your boat really, but I think a space scene is a good exercise for a beginner as its not to difficult to achieve a half decent pic, and it will boost your confidence in your abilities and give you that 'hey I did that' feeling.
yes thats the way i feel lol about mine i wanna try more!

Sweet vid Mitch, one other way to make random patterns of starst is to take a small paint brush dip it in some reduced white paint and bend the bristles back and let them flip the paint on to the canvas. this will create an awesome bunch of stars. I love the space sceen. Good Job.

Cflow785

This was my first attempt of the space

IMG_8622.jpg

This was the second one, it came out a little better.
What do you think guys?
IMG_8623.jpg

Hey that's not bad nibbles, only advice I would give is try adding some dark side to the planets which will help give a little more depth.
Try just cutting out loads of different size circles for a stencil, then play around with one colour until you can make it look like a sphere,look in books or online a pics of planets to get some ideas.
Need to find dark side nibbles you must( yoda voice):)

How do you do the 'stars' effect??? I tried to 'bounce' the paint off a knife but ended up with large splats instead of a gentle covering as per the video. Was using 1.5 - 1 of white to reducer at 45 psi.
View attachment 2145

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi rob there's no hard a fast rule as far as this go's, the way Mitch does it you need to reduce your air pressure to about 20/25 psi and use the pencil on the end of the AB as per tutorial or you could just put some paint on a toothbrush and flick it! The way Mitch does it really works but you need to get the pencil at the right angle, I find that using that method the build up of paint eventually just spatters as you control it, basically just play with it till you find what works for you :)

I can't always get that angle thing right either, so I tend to turn my air pressure way down (about 5 psi, although i guess it would be different for different paint mixtures etc), and do it that way. I tend to do that for stone effects too.

Back