How to airbrush folds?

K

Kasey24

What I mean by folds is like what you I see people do with say a reapers hood. I have a idea for a T-shirt. I want my image, let's say a graffiti type box letter P, to look like it's pushing against the fabric of the shirt but not through it. I can't find a reference to show what I mean, hopefully you get the idea. Thank you in advance, and have a great day or night depending on where your at.

I would help you, but I cant explain for poop!! I get what you mean..someone will be with ya shortly!! ;)

theres a guy on youtube that does something like your explaining with a skull. Though he is using it to make the skull look pressed against the fabric outward. I imagine the same approach can be made for the letter pressing downward. Just watch the light and shadows.

Hey @Kasey24 I did a SbS on panels and rivets which may help, have a look at the last few pictures Here It might help.

theres a guy on youtube that does something like your explaining with a skull. Though he is using it to make the skull look pressed against the fabric outward. I imagine the same approach can be made for the letter pressing downward. Just watch the light and shadows.

LOL, That was Ed Hubbs creating the effect of skull impression under simulated carbon fibre, to understand the placement of the folds better he first place a real carbon fibre sheet over a resin skull he had in his workshop and simply copied the shapes and shadows that he saw there, basically if you want to recreate or understand similar things, simply throw a sheet over your dog or a jacket over a chair and view the shapes created, I do however strongly advise against covering your wife's face with cling-film, although the results could be interesting I have feeling this could also be dangerous, lol

Thanks for the advice everyone I give them all a try. Carefully.

Ok this is embarrassing, but as I always say to people don't be ashamed to show your work, it may help someone else, I am swallowing my pride and posting this. Gotta practice what I preach right? I don't know what possessed me to make it, I am sure alcohol was involved in the decision LOL! I hadn't been ABing very long, and it shows, so ignore the technique LOL and focus on the principle, it's the same way I do it now, only less refined lol:D:laugh:

Vampier76016.jpg Here's a pic I use as a reference when doing folds, I dont know who created the image but the folds are quite helpful when shading.

I've got an old tutorial on folds I did a few years ago. I'll have to see if I can find the pics I saved when I get off work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Squishy: Love that name buy the way. Found that video last night, and was going to ask today if that was you. It looks like it will help allot.
Afterdark: my favorite time of day. Thank you for the reference pic it should be very helpful.

@afterdark would you mind if i used this, id like to try and paint it
Matty171, I'm more than happy for you to use any image I post on the forum, it was one of those mystery images that just appeared in my reference file and I don't know who created it.

@Kasey24 It's the best time of day and when I'm let loose to play. Glad the pic was helpful.

View attachment 29933 Here's a pic I use as a reference when doing folds, I dont know who created the image but the folds are quite helpful when shading.
Thats similar to the image on the youtube vid I was referencing. Just put the object on top instead of underneath... the folds should be relatively same process.

Back