How to Airbrush short beards

Mark Milburn

Triple Actioner
Happy New Year to All!

I'm posting a pic of my next project. As you can see, there are small hairs at the chin and along his right face line as well as a few in other areas but the vast majority of the beard/mustache is just "smudgy". Could someone give me a general guideline of how to create that effect. I just received the Dru Blair skin stencils but they wouldn't work!

Thanks
Mark
Murrieta, Ca.

Attachments

• IndianaSmall.jpg
    IndianaSmall.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 54
Sounds like you are trying to paint individual hairs... it is a texture, and shades.

There are some bright hairs that you will make by scratching, the texture and shape of the darker ones could be done with a combination of scratching and over painting, maybe a few very defined ones to emphasize what the eye is looking at.

OK. The color is off, not enough red/pink, etc.. In addition to anything you may want to comment on at this point, why doesn't look like Indiana?? The original is much darker around the eyes etc, but is there anything that you can point to as to why someone just looking at it wouldn't say, Oh, that's Indiana?? When I look at individual parts, it doesn't look that far off???????? My cellphone makes it look lighter but that's not the issue re: look a like.

20200102_122748small.jpg

Mark

I think you're on the right track.
You have mapped it well. I still miss the middle tones.
Things that still need some attention are the side of his nose and his chin.
I made a map so that you can see the values more easily.
Hope that you find them useful.
ind bbl.jpg

I appreciate your evaluation. I know the pupils are too prominent! Can something like that make it NOT look like the subject. I know I have a long way to go, but I keep thinking that no matter how much better I get, it doesn't matter if my intent is to make something look like the reference; without having to tell someone, "oh, that's so-and-so"

Everyone looks at the eyes first. So that certainly has an impact.
The pupils are not too dark, everything around it is still too light.
The small highlight in his eye also makes a lot of difference.
To make it stand out, everything around it must become darker, including the whites of the eyes.

Thank you! I am pleased that it at least is much better than my first several attempts! I'm very gals I joined. Should'a started AB'ing again, years ago.

Happy new year to everyone!

Be safe

Mark

Need a little more advice on this issue. Clearly, the eyes and brow area are much darker than I have. (although the actual work is darker than my cellphone depicts, but still not dark enough)

Question: Looking at the picture re: the left portion of his left eye and the upper portion of his right eye, do I darken the white of the eye; the upper eyelid area; etc. individually or do I "dust" the areas with transparent paint and darken them as a whole?? I hope that is clear?? I know the iris etc must be done separately!!

Mark

It already looks better.
In the photo the colors look a bit hot in the dark shadows.
You may need to add some green to your color at the next layer.
Beware that it doesn't get too gray.

I lower the pressure with a Mac valve or the regular until the paint spits out. This creates a stone like texture, then I erase into the texture and repeat the process, then repeat again with many different colours. Not sure if these help but you will see my methodAD191749-3CF3-44B6-A96E-C1F13F554120.jpeg98632528-2362-4413-9A9C-9E8BB6AB5888.jpeg

Back