How to do pixle texture with air brush

T

Thomas-Tendens

Hi! I been looking on tutorials but can find any techniques or effects that makes the artwork looks pixelated. Is there anyone here that got any secret techniques. I want get the same vibe and blurry look on my artwork like the reference image.

upload_2018-2-7_13-12-26.png
thanks,
thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you are meaning by pixel texture , The img you attached is not pixel looking in nature but cartoon style.
Pixel can be done with the digital camo template https://www.amazon.com/Artool-Template-Digital-Camo/dp/B002HMPRO8

Now how about being a good lad and hope over to the introduction section and make a proper introduction and tells us what equipment you have or planing on getting and where on this planet you live. you can find it here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
also I deleted you PDF as we do not know you and there for do not trust PDF files at this time .

IDK if the OP is sticking around and apologies for the 30 sec attempt at mario but something like this?;
Photo on 2-6-18 at 9.25 PM.jpg

But yeah the reference is not pixelated.

Last edited:
I guess if your really looking close theres a teeny amount of pixelation in that. Depending on how big the image was going to be you could get that from tulle.

Thanks for the answers! Sorry.. forgot about the introductio. It was late evening here in Sweden when I posted the question.

I just recently started airbrushing and I’m a total beginner. I bought a Paasche Dual Action Airbrush, the milenium Series, together with a mini compressor + Tank from TCP global. My goal is to paint medium to big size canvas. I haven’t done any research regarding what colours to use at this stage. Any suggestions would be much aparicated.

The image I posted is not really pixelated, I agree. I guess what I’m asking is how to get the same, slightly blurry cartoony look. The tulle seems like a good start, thanks.

This looks good! Thanks. What tool did you use?
Just window screen.
You can play around with it a million ways aside from just spraying through it. Like fogging over the whole thing in white then moving the screen slightly and re spraying your bright spots some, Or doubling it over itself to give two "pixel" sizes.
For the tiny amount of pixel in your reference I think it would probably be a matter of just doing parts of it through tulle . IDK , something to play around with.

Oh and to get crisp pixel edges you can put a mask of your image onto the screen or mesh then paint everything that isnt your image with a hairy brush and some clear, It will either fully clog holes or not so that when you use it to spray through you get cleanly pixelated edges. You could also take a piece and paint sort of a negative of a french curve on it with a hairy brush then you can use that piece for a pixelated hand shield for edges.

Maybe flick some spatter at a piece of tulle then use that piece for a texture screen, you could probably get some of that false glow like around luigis hand by using a piece like that and shifting it around/ going back and forth between a small amount of white and the original color.

Last edited:
Oh, trying to get that amunt of detail on canvas, at least for me is pretty much impossible. Maybe Some type of Illustration board.

If you want cartoon clean edges you either need to use mask or combine your art with say a paint marker or brush.
I’ve done Pokémon shirts for son and always have used fabric markers, stencils/mask and paint brushes for clean lines

AB you cannot do a clean hard edge freehand it’s meant for realism is simple way of putting it

Back