How to do the look of sand on the beach?

S

Steve_J

HELP! Wish you guys did a tutorial on creating fake sand.

Am doing a beach scene with sand, shells, starfish, etc. and for the life of me cant get the sand to look like sand!

use a toothbrush to give you a stipple effect , scrape the bristles back with you finger

Popsicle stick , held up to the end of the airbrush also gives a very cool stipple effect the closer you hold it to the surface of the painting the smaller the effect the farther back the larger.

also depends on the AB but you can crank the psi way down and it also nipples I mean stipples sorry was thinking about march again

also depends on the AB but you can crank the psi way down and it also nipples I mean stipples sorry was thinking about march again

Another way is the Iwata Eclipse if you take the nozzle cap off the head cap it will stipple as well. I am not sure if other Iwatas do this but I know the Eclipse does. I prefer the Popsicle way Micron described though even though my Eclipse can do it like this. Just thought I would throw out another option.

Popsicle stick , held up to the end of the airbrush also gives a very cool stipple effect the closer you hold it to the surface of the painting the smaller the effect the farther back the larger.

Tried that ... as well as toothbrush. May not be doing it properly, but didn't get what I was looking for. Considering using light coat of Rustolium's Bleached Stone (tan colored) Texture paint over a flat earth brown background for shadow depth. I know it is not airbrush, but has anyone had success with or used that?

The closer you are to the end of the popsicle stick and higher the pressure, the finer the spray. There is not much texture in beach sand except some colour variations. You can have a slightly darker, as in almost not visible, speckle over the original colour and as it fades to the back is it more of a solid smooth covering.

This is a pic of a spiderI did. THe sand was done bey using a waterd down yellow mixed with white ( you can lighten or darken yo uour pic)While it is still wet I used a tooth brush and spatered in 2 different colors. I used a brown, dip the brush and hold it over the wet yellow background and flick it. use a clean brush and fick a light blue. do a test piece and use the colors that are similar to ypur specific sand as they are all different in texture and color. hope this helps . bentoadDSCN4419.jpg

Well actually I was trying to do a straight down view of shells, starfish, sand-dollars, etc, on a sand background and in the shells. So it would be very visible texture, almost in full scale.

Well actually I was trying to do a straight down view of shells, starfish, sand-dollars, etc, on a sand background and in the shells. So it would be very visible texture, almost in full scale.

Might try spreading some fine sand (or salt if sand is not available) on the canvas then... spray a little paint over it and see what kind of texture you get.

Might try spreading some fine sand (or salt if sand is not available) on the canvas then... spray a little paint over it and see what kind of texture you get.
Well, I have used sand before and I have some actual beach sand (with bits of shell) I could use. But, I would have to use multiple coats of clearcoat to make it smooth. I didnt really want to make it that heavy. LOL As a last alternative, I may have to do that.
Thx

Well, I have used sand before and I have some actual beach sand (with bits of shell) I could use. But, I would have to use multiple coats of clearcoat to make it smooth. I didnt really want to make it that heavy. LOL As a last alternative, I may have to do that.
Thx

I think that the idea is put sand over the artwork , spray paint over it and retire the sand to see what effect result of paint thru it

or spray light brown or yellow, lay you piece flat , display some real sand or coucous, corn meal or whatever and spray another lighter or darker coat :)

I just found this thread and it interest me. I posted a reference in the reference section trying to identify the artist because I wanted to ask the same question. The sand looks very real and it's underwater. I noticed that Tsunami has some work that displays beach sand. It also looks very real.

Here is a youtube showing the popsicle stipling...
[video=youtube_share;Mch9LXNOfC4]http://youtu.be/Mch9LXNOfC4[/video]
Of course I have not tried it yet as I am still waiting for my gear, but it looks like it would work to make some very controllable sand/concrete/stone.

Great video! It helps to actually see what the other folks were talking about. I'll give it a shot on my next try at that darn underwater vampire skull..:)

I'll put an example
If you need to make a beach like this.
Use the system described on the video, I do not use the clip but a sheet of vinyl, so the color flows evenly.
Painting with black and gray.
Move forward and behind the trigger so you will have drops of different diameters, and play with the psi to have different transparencies.
When you have finished constructing a simple stencil:
uncork a sheet of paper to create the lines of rippling sand, and spray the white fade.
once made ​​the lines, with black creates shadows and you're done.

011111.jpg

Back