How to draw water.

V

Visualfury

I have been looking for a tutorial on how to draw water texture. I am trying to make my wife a picture of a fairy sitting next to a pool of water but I can not figure out how to make the water look like water, besides a reflection, to give it a nice look.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make water texture?

I have been looking for a tutorial on how to draw water texture. I am trying to make my wife a picture of a fairy sitting next to a pool of water but I can not figure out how to make the water look like water, besides a reflection, to give it a nice look.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make water texture?
well you cant really draw water you draw what is reflected in it... if it is a calm lake and calm water it will be all reflections,, the first mistake is think of it as water, thats what it is not, it is just colors, like glass , you cant draw glass, you draw the reflections, and its shades.. dont think of what your painting as an image but shades of color,, just paint what you see, not what you think you know..

What I mean is the texture of the water. the little ripples that add depth and change perception. Like when you looks in a swimming pool and see the lines of light reflecting off the small waves. Its hard to describe in words.

look up on the web how to paint water, or how to airbrush water, there are many guides to it..thats what i did

Look up Bob Ross on YouTube. Gotta love The Joy of Painting. It may not be the most exciting of videos but everything is usually explained very simply.

stencels maby? :confused: or i suggiest making pencil marks and wing it sorry not sure

Its a challenge
1st as said remember that water is inherently clear, the color you see comes from reflections.... sky light blue water shades of blue, your reflected fairy perhaps using translucents distorted left and right, try this paint your a quick trial background then do say a moonlight beam across your water as you are doing so take a damp cloth or brush and pull the paint distorting left go a little further and distort right, your waves or nothing more than light and shadow, ,, just as you shade a face using a slightly darker shade of your base you create your valleys in your wave, and just as you highlight the tip of a nose with a lighter shade of your base your crests are highlighted,
What is causing the wave,,, a rock then do so in a circle working out from impact, the wind, follow the direction of the wind,,,,, remember match your distortion to the direction of your waves,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back