how to make a candle glow

R

ranhalen

im painting a candle on a solid black background but the colors ive used dont seem to make it glow. i tried white for a base coat for the candle but it has a blue tint and the yellow and orange arent poping out. any one have any advice:crushed:

You can try white pearl in the bottom.that makes the colors more intensive and maby you get them pop.good luck mate

Maybe got to do with the used paints? What paints and surface are you using?

Buffer the paint, meaning mix opaque white with transparent paint to get the colour.

well hopefully this pic will upload. it keeps saying upload failed.tried but keeps failing but the pic is on y profile if u wanna check it out

View attachment 804

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ranhalen

Is this maybe what you meant? I did this very quickly just see if it's what you had in mind, the glow around the candle is simply a large blending dot done from further away than you would normally work.

Hope this helps

candle.JPG

Hey Ranhalen

Is this maybe what you meant? I did this very quickly just see if it's what you had in mind, the glow around the candle is simply a large blending dot done from further away than you would normally work.

Hope this helps

View attachment 803
Malky that is a really good candle , Mate.

Malky that is a really good candle , Mate.

Thanks Mr Micron, but it's really not that good, I did it in about 2 minutes just get an idea if that was what Ranhalen meant in his question, I think it was.

Thats a great painting there !

As for the glow, I think there is just not enough white in it. And as Malky said, it needs a glow behind it to let it give of the warmth.

Just a picture, but a type that would (in my opinion) suit your painting Ranhalen. More white and warm glow.
candle-7537171.jpg

thanks for your input but i got to thinking about light i realized that a candle is ineffective by itself unless it has somethin to illuminate and reflect the light off of. ill remember that that in my next painting after all we dont see the light we see the things it illuminates

Back