How to make a small line like this ?

D

Daniel D

Hey guys and girls! Sorry for another question, but I'm wondering if I will be able to make small lines like this in the picture with my stock airbrush. It is a 200 dollar airbrush that I do have...but I'm wondering if I would need a smaller needle size or if I can use the one it came with. I forgot the brand. I got it at my local hobby lobby. But I think the tip was like .32 or .33

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 89
It's an Iwata HP-CS eclipse with a .35 mm tip...will this be good enough to make that size of a line?

With a little practice you could, but it will require low pressure, thinner paint and very very close up work.

Practice on some old pieces of plastic first so you can get a feel for the higher risk of spider in up close, it's all about control.

When people answer your questions a little thank you here and there keeps them coming back;)

I suggest like Madbrush stated you practice , Paper , cardboard , metal panels. and learn to control your airbrush .
The lightening you have shown here is about as easy as you can get. but requires practice to get your speed and pull back on the trigger right.
By the looks of it your goal is console controller.

With a little practice you could, but it will require low pressure, thinner paint and very very close up work.

Practice on some old pieces of plastic first so you can get a feel for the higher risk of spider in up close, it's all about control.

When people answer your questions a little thank you here and there keeps them coming back;)

Thanks madbrush and the rest of the community!! Sorry forgot to say thanks! Unlike me!!

Thats actualy not that thin (and looks like it took serveral passes) you can go way thinner with a 0.35 nozzle but as indicated by madbrush that will requier some airbrush control, and thats just down to practice (and the tips he gave also help :p).

It's an Iwata HP-CS eclipse with a .35 mm tip...will this be good enough to make that size of a line?
Yes, but as others have stated, it takes practice. If your not comfortable with freehand, you could always tear some printer paper in the shapes of the lightning you want. Match them back up separated by the width you would like your lightning and use it as a stencil.

fd2de9205d482007a9636aab2ccfbb59.jpg

Awesome trick! Do you think it could be pretty easy to just freehand the purple? I can just lightly pass over it a few times right? And I could get the purple he has? That should he too difficult. Also I want too add stars...but like little white dots as stars..almost like looking into the night sky and wee see the stars as like hire dots. I want to mimic exactly that...easier to free hand by just doing a simple white dot? Or should I be stenci king different size dots? I'll get another pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 31
Stenciling* not SYENCIL king...also made some spelling mistakes. On a phone sorry! And I meant to say making the purple part of the lightning shouldn't be too difficult!

Awesome trick! Do you think it could be pretty easy to just freehand the purple? I can just lightly pass over it a few times right? And I could get the purple he has? That should he too difficult. Also I want too add stars...but like little white dots as stars..almost like looking into the night sky and wee see the
What I would do personally is get your paper torn first and lay out all the Lightning strikes you want with individual stencils. Lay down each one individually and just barely dust some white paint through the stencils. Just enough to see where your lightning will be. Then freehand the glow with white. Go over it with a transparent blue violet to tint the glow. Put your stencil back and put the white down for the lightning strike and push them back slightly with the with a little more of the blue violet.
The stars can be done with spatter techniques using a toothbrush to splatter white for the stars or low psi stippling can be done with the airbrush. Your stars should be done first though, so there are no bright stars in front of your lightning glow. The larger stars on that controller are done freehand. The starbursts can be done freehand with good control, or by using a straight edge of paper. Spray the paper with the white and let the overspray just go over the edge, giving the faint indication of the starburst.

Last edited:
What I would do personally is get your paper torn first and lay out all the Lightning strikes you want with individual stencils. Lay down each one individually and just barely dust some white paint through the stencils. Just enough to see where your lightning will be. Then freehand the glow with white. Go over it with a transparent blue violet to tint the glow. Put your stencil back and put the white down for the lightning strike and push them back slightly with the with a little more of the blue violet.
The stars can be done with spatter techniques using a toothbrush to splatter white for the stars or low psi stippling can be done with the airbrush. Your stars should be done first though, so there are no bright stars in front of your lightning glow. The larger stars on that controller are done freehand. The starbursts can be done freehand with good control, or by using a straight edge of paper. Spray the paper with the white and let the overspray just go over the edge, giving the faint indication of the starburst.

Really really good..thank you...I'm learning so much from all of you guys. I'm glad this forum is very interactive!! No matter what you guys have answers!!

Also, I don't think I am doing lightning strikes anymore! I like the space look in the second pic I have! This controller is for me! Lol!! So I should then be able to do some curves like that by freehand...and you said to get a smaller like use a lower psi, and thin the paint more?

Sorry own more question too guys and girls...with paints...I use basic Createx from my hobby lobby...I usually do not thin them out...but should I be? With what I do, I wouldn't see any benefit to thin them out U less I had to do lightening. This was the most recent !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 33
Just do it with a paint marker. It will be brighter and sharper. You can then soften it afterwards if need be.

Most lightening is done in white first so the brighter bolt shows through , the over spray is what lets the glow form.
Then trans purple would be fogged over it. pure purple would not give you the effect you are looking for.
Here watch Ed Hubbs show you how

Back