How to make a trasparent, opaque and darker?

K

kelonio

Hi all, Hope somebody may help me with this simple question : )....Say a have a transparent cerulean blue that i want to make it opaque and darker...
i will add white to make it opaque, but i am not supose to add black to make it darker...What shall i do?.....why cant we add black to white when mixing colors....is this rule for transparents, opaques and semi opaques?

thanks in advance (sorry there where 3 questions)...and have the best.

Kelonio

Black and white will make gray when mixing it with a color it will be mud.
Transparent paint can look darker on its own by adding more layer over and over again. That is why monotone portraits work so well .
Light passes gives lighter shades and the more passes you make the darker it will be .
When you mix a white to a transparent it is buffering the color so that is as dark as it will go . 20% , 40% 60% 80% and 100% where 100% is the darkest color making the 20% look almost white.
When I want to shade a color darker I use the next color down on the color wheel. so if you want a darker blue use blue and Violet or red. .Enough layers of violet will look almost black .

But now the question for you is what are you trying to do Dru Blair teaches color buffering , Dan Powers also shows how to do it on his first dvd.
Might see if you can find a copy of it .

Also this is just my understanding of the color buffering system someone else may know it better.

If you are trying to darken red, use blue or brown.
If you are trying to darken blue, use a darker blue or a black (one of the few times that black is appropriate).
If you are trying to darken yellow, use a light shade of orange.
If you are trying to darken a secondary color, use the darkest primary color that was used to create that secondary color. (For example, if you are trying to darken an orange, choose a red tube of paint.)

Having my morning coffee so cheating and just copied pasted some info for ya as I'm lazy.....LOL

But will add- there's no can't in airbrushing or art in general..Do what you want..I use black all the time, love the stuff..It gives great contrast and when mixed into colors appropriately it can look awesome..For eg, use black to hue down subject matter in the backround, it helps change it focaly, use the other method in larger sections of the foreground, it will give brightness and contrast, bringing it out of the darker, muddier background..If I'm doing a portrait I will use it very sparingly in my color mixing, anything else and it will be out all the time..I tend to use a trans black, its a lot less harsh that a opaque black and barely changes the hue with a few drops..

Some colors shown in a reference especially need black to make so don't be scared of it, airbrushing is so different to other mediums due to the atomization of paint and if you were outside standing at an easel painting your surroundings you would likely see or use any black as its not presented to you, mostly we use photographs and to obtain a photographic look we sometimes will copy the photo directly and in most photo's there is black present..So kinda depends what your going for...GL and this kinda art theory exists in thousands of online manuals and art books, its soooo easy to find info on color theory that anyone with 10 minutes to read a day can have color mastered pretty quick (Well it actually prob takes a lifetime LOL, but confidence with some research will at least save you some paint..)..Sorry for the esay LOL, back to my coffee even though its prob cold now LOL....

Oh and I should ad I use the method Herb mentioned all the time, its prob the easiest way, paint a opaque base say light blue, use a blue transparent next and put a light layer over it..Note the change in the original color, keep adding layers and again note what each layer achieves, eventually with a lot of trans blue you would have darkened the original opaque blue a lot...GL

Last edited:
DSCF2679.jpgDSCF2676.jpgHi again and thanks Micron and Rebel for your comments....i have been airbrushing for many years but basically in monochrome...new with color and is giving me a hard time : ).....here i posted 2 pictures of my last "training works with color" in process for you to see....Will like to hear your sincere opinion.,,,planning to give the background of the geisha a darker blue,,,and also maybe take out the blue of the back ground on the sneekers :9.....
Best wishes
Kelonio

View attachment 26492View attachment 26493Hi again and thanks Micron and Rebel for your comments....i have been airbrushing for many years but basically in monochrome...new with color and is giving me a hard time : ).....here i posted 2 pictures of my last "training works with color" in process for you to see....Will like to hear your sincere opinion.,,,planning to give the background of the geisha a darker blue,,,and also maybe take out the blue of the back ground on the sneekers :9.....
Best wishes
Kelonio

The one of the show is perfect , The blue in it make me think the person wearing them is dancing on the grass just off a sidewalk .
As far as the other piece I think it works well with the colors that on there. Reminds me of 1800's painting I saw.

Back