How to make stencils

D

drobbins12

Tutor,

What is the best material for stencils. I have some thin card board I am going to try. Also, what about some good stencil shapes you could post, we then could print them out and copy them on to material for us to use. Being a beginner, I'm not real sure what common shapes are used. It all probably depends on what you are airbrushing. But maybe some generic flame stencils, round and curvey stencils, stencils to.practice with on 8x11 paper.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dylan

Ive done stencils in plain printer paper. Just print whatever you like,put maskingfilm on both sides and start to cut with an exactor or razorblade.BANG AND YOU GOT YOUR STENCIL MATE :D

Hey Drobbins - similar method to Badass, except you can use transparency paper/ transparency film. it's a clear plastic film and you cut out your design with a blade/ scalpel..
in saying that you should be able to get some good stencil sets from about $15 - $30 depending on what you want.. i think stencils are worth every cent to buy..

Thanks, I'll look into them, any you might suggest(i.e. brand)

Hey mate, no recommendations for stenils really.. all the same. just make sure they're solvent proof - which usually any white/cream colored stencils are? can try air sick stencils? that's where i'd first look but even a google search for airbrush stencils and you can find a heap of free stuff aswell!

Stencil sets are so expensive. I was looking at some at Hobby Lobby for $30+. I'm such a cheapo, I'd rather sit, draw or print out designs online and cut my own.

Manila envelopes, the ones for file cabinets. I made a bunch for true fire over a year ago, and I still use 'em. I did glue them closed with spray adhesive, so that they are twice as thick. They cut a little rough, but you can shape 'em with sandpaper.

Dont know where all you guys are from but on ebay uk you can pick up stencils for a little as 99p. Not the greatest quaility but when your learning they are good enough :)

Sent via Tapatalk

I use to work in a print shop. So when I started airbrushing I went to a local print shop and asked them if I could have some of there mistake material that they where just going to throw out. They usally have bins full of all kind of material like paper, cardboard, plastic...ect. I just use scrap material and it doesn't cost me a thing and don't worry it's not like digging through the trash it's only paper. Just a thought :)

Hi all, I've used paper cardboard and transparent printable sheets. With my work I make a hell of alot of custom type shields which is the same sort of things as stencils. Each painting that I do I always seem to be making a shape that I need that the normal shields that are out the on the shelves don't quite match.

If it is something that I am only going to use once then posterboard or card. If it looks to be something that I am going to use quite a bit then I take the time to trace the shape out but I also look at the art to see if I can get a couple of other shapes and tie it all into the one shield. Once I've do that then I stick the shape onto xray film and cut it out. Finishing off the shape I sand the edge with fine paper to make sure it is smooth.

Oh yeah, don't chuck out the piece that you have left over cause it will work as the perfect matching pair. Negative and positive shapes!

Hope this helps out and sorry about the long explanation

Last edited by a moderator:
Tutor,

What is the best material for stencils. I have some thin card board I am going to try. Also, what about some good stencil shapes you could post, we then could print them out and copy them on to material for us to use. Being a beginner, I'm not real sure what common shapes are used. It all probably depends on what you are airbrushing. But maybe some generic flame stencils, round and curvey stencils, stencils to.practice with on 8x11 paper.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dylan

Hi, if you have somebody you know working in hospital ask him to bring you a X-ray plastic sheets, they are exceltent for stencils.

Guys, for one use throw away just use newspaper cut to the shapes you want.
BUT look at people like Ace who are just using their hands,fingers etc.

I use projector sheets ( A4 Size ) then trace what i want to stencil.....next cut them with a stencil burner and sand them up a bit. Think i bought it way back for like $20,- for a 100 sheets.

I think a freehand circle template and oval template are indespensible, for straight edges I generally just use some paper or such, I also have some basic french curves I use a lot aswell for longer curves...The edge of a plate (Me missus hates that LOL), old cd's and records, hell I'll even use pot plant containers and such if I need bigger round edges, really anything you pick up could make a good stencil..For more complicated images, if its just a once of piece, paper will work fine (Which is easy to use magnets to secure it) or you could of course use a cardboard but its much harder to cut and keep smooth edges and magnets may not adher to the thicker surface,if you want to use it multiple times I'd suggest some clear acetate or mylar, will last for ever but you may need to smooth down the edges as it can be a bit of a bugger to cut, especially the thicker stuff...

Finally, don't be afraid to approach a stencil maker with your own design, generally most (for a fee of course) are happy to turn your own drawing/design into a stencil for you that will likely be laser cut into good acetate or mylar or whatever their using these days :)..GL

I really liked that circle stencil that you used for the eye on fire is a cool stencil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started making soft masks/stencils with tracing paper covered in masking film, then i got some acetate, but what i use now is you know the packs for laminator machines, they are glossy on the outside but matt on the inside.. plus you get 2 sheets with every laminate... easy and cheap...

I just bought some very thin cutting mats from the kitchen area in wallmart/asda

I go to the print shop at work and steal the laminating envelopes, they have them in a2 size and are similar to mylar, then use a stencil burner to cut them out or go over what I want to paint with a sharpie and pip it pin the over head projector

i found some on amazon for cheap they were suggested as a group buy thing
i bought french lines which is a pack of 3, a circles one and elipse both by helix , all 3 delivered for £9.20 BARGAIN lol

Back