How to metal flake with Flake King Guns

I havent watched the vid so I dont know how they apply the clear/binder but I would use one of my cheapo K3 0.5 mini guns and keep the airbrush free with the FB mini on the end. How do you do it Si?

Lee

This is great, thanks. I’m just starting out with the airbrush but the flake king mini has been on my wish list for awhile now.
you are welcome. I am always happy if I see someone finds good info for himself in videos which I post on forum. I have a little ''you tube searching'' addiction, so if someone finds video valuable it was worth it. I am still trying to figure out how to do detoxification of having bunch of open tabs. With no luck. lol

I havent watched the vid so I dont know how they apply the clear/binder but I would use one of my cheapo K3 0.5 mini guns and keep the airbrush free with the FB mini on the end. How do you do it Si?

Lee
You nailed it mate. K3 on some of the smaller stuff and one of the Mini Guns on slightly larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wanting to flake the roof of my old van since it has some surface rust, I always wondered what the difference was between spraying clear in or just flake, thinking this would be the way to go, I'll have to give them an email(and find a place to do it).

Something I've been thinking of trying for a while, not sure my lockdown funds extend to one though...:( I have just ordered an HVLP gun to do some larger panels with base coat.

I'm thinking a flake job on the removable panels of my electric motorbike might be cool....

How about one of these Alex?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dry-Meta...-Free-bag-of-flake-with-this-gun/132566359760

Not a 'Flake King' brand but I know Mick Neill used to have one similar and it worked perfectly.

Lee
Well now, that looks tempting, I must admit I'm in uncharted territory here, If I bought this what else would I need to actually lay something down on a panel, some sort of base coat? I'm assuming I can then just apply my normal rattlecan clear over the top?

You normally use a clear of some sort and then use the flake king over the clear. Repeat as needed. Clear over the top at the end. In the Simon Murray vid you DO NOT need all the Binders and stuff. Just a clear will be fine over your base.

Hope this helps

Lee

Last edited:
let me get this straight... You could use cheap mini gun with big nozzle for spraying flakes if you have it at home?

Don't know about that Husky. I suppose if the spraygun had a large enough setup you may be able to use one but those guns in the vid are specially built for the dry flake. I'm sure you could make one similar to the one in this video

I have messed about with old pens and small jars together with my airbrush to get a similar design to what @SiRoxx has that fits on the end of the airbrush. They do work, you just have to refine it.

I'm sure one could be easily 3d printed to fit on the end of an airbrush.

Lee

if this guy can do this
giphy.gif

then I can put flakes in my mouth and use straw to blow them out lol

Back